Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Once you get past the halfway mark when using water, how does the water get from the passenger side to the drain on the driver side? Do you have to lift it up (or park sideways on a steep hill) to get the water from the passenger side over the transmission tunnel hump?

IIRC, he said earlier (or in a different thread) that there is an outlet on each side, or one could tip it to transfer the water.

This would be good, as you would know when 1/2 your water is gone:elkgrin:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I originally thought I would use both outlets, and thus have no problem draining the tank. But I am thinking that I will just use one outlet, keeps it a little simpler and it will be easier to keep an eye out for any leaking water. Most likely when traveling solo one hose will be all I need, but it is easy to add the other outlet if needed.

I made a new hose setup today, using a proper valve. I will grab a photo of it soon.

It will be interesting to see if the water sloshing back and forth becomes annoying. There is no baffling, and it is a wide tank, so there is lots of room for the water to move. It might just be entertaining, not that I have previously found things sliding around fun.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Installed the Timbrens.

Did a little flex testing and they are working as I hoped.

Will give an update on them in about a month, after traveling with the truck fully loaded.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Picked up a small inverter, don't need a big inverter when running it off the factory 12v plugs in the cab.

inverth.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
With the investment of a new tripod (Gitzo GT3541XLS Extra Long Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod, for those who are interested) I felt the need for a hard case. The former tripod sat alongside the Pelican cases, but this one deserves special treatment.

Ended up using plastic drain pipe, needed the large diameter.
Nobody said large format photography was lightweight.

56435841.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
Great pics as always!

It will be interesting to see if the water sloshing back and forth becomes annoying. There is no baffling, and it is a wide tank, so there is lots of room for the water to move. It might just be entertaining, not that I have previously found things sliding around fun.

I just did a search on the Frontrunner water tanks as I have been considering one myself, didn't realize you had put one in.. Very interested to hear your impressions after some use. I am a little concerned with the lack of baffles/sloshing as well. A little sloshing may be worth it though, as this tank seems like a great drop-in solution.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great pics as always!

I just did a search on the Frontrunner water tanks as I have been considering one myself, didn't realize you had put one in.. Very interested to hear your impressions after some use. I am a little concerned with the lack of baffles/sloshing as well. A little sloshing may be worth it though, as this tank seems like a great drop-in solution.

Thanks. It is fun to have the snapshots while the 4x5 film is locked up awaiting processing.

The water tank is amazing. One of the best things on the rig, it is so easy to use.

It does make a bit of sloshing sound, but I now see it as a "feature" of having 40L stored behind the seats. I can feel (only slightly) the weight transfer going around some corners, but only when the tank is about half full. With the truck almost at full GVWR I take things slow anyway.

You do have to unscrew the lid to let the water run out the hose. Not a big deal, just have to remember to tighten the lid again before setting off.

I installed the tank backwards, as I wanted the tap and lid on the passenger side. It still fits with the seats all the way back.

IMHO, the tank is great!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Front Runner Footwell Water Tank! (Link)

78740687.jpg

I have been waiting for these to come in for a long time. I am excited to have it for this next trip.

Fit of the tank is good. The picture is with the seats slid all the way back, there is very little wasted space. I am also pleased with how robust the tank is, shook it around a bit to rinse out the inside and it felt very solid. The hose system is a bit odd, not sure if I will use it or make my own valve. Tonight the tank is inside sitting full to check for leaks. (Don't ask why I know to do this.) I will put a coat of 303 on it in the morning, and we are good to go!

Bought from Paul at Equipt.

I really like this!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Anybody know what fuel consumption is like when the engine is idling?

It is getting pretty darn cold here and I have been eating lunch in the truck, running the truck for about 20 minutes to get warmed up. Just wondering how much fuel it is costing me.

97Ranger

I wouldnt think it'd be a huge draw of fuel. I've always heard that you only need to wait long enough for your idle to dip down to normal. Hopefully that isnt taking 20 minutes.

If you want to speed things up (get the heater blowing) you might consider a heater of some kind (block, oil, whatever you can get your hands on).

If you can stand the cold long enough to get down the driveway, a little work for the motor should get it warm faster than an extra 10 minutes of idling.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
It's not taking the engine 20 min to warm up, it's taking me 20 minutes to warm up and dry out. I have a block heater, but no place to plug into hydro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh