Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
If anybody was wondering, the exact weight of a Gen 2 Tacoma tailgate is 33.5 pounds.

:coffee:

(Was working on the truck, thought I might as well get out the scale.)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have ordered a Timbren SES kit for the rig.

The Timbrens will be installed to work with the Dakars.

I really like the Dakars, but when fully loaded for a month long trip the truck sat a bit heavy in the rear, and I got tiered of blinding other drivers at night. (Well, I got tiered of people flashing their brights at me.) I like the Dakar + Timbren setup because when the truck is empty it will just ride on the Dakars. But when loaded the Timbrens will keep the back lifted.

Here is how the Timbrens for a Gen2 Tacoma work.
timw.png

I talked to the people at Timbren and we came up with a spring set based on the basic tortun4 kit for the Tacoma and Tundra, but built with a spring for the 7 inches of clearance I have between the leaf springs and the frame.

If you have a lifted (3") Gen2 Tacoma, you will want the tortun4 kit complete with cwa00535-65. Ordered here.

A note on airbags:
I thought about airbags, but I did not like the idea of them. Yes, they are nice because they are adjustable. I do not like the fact that you have to keep topping them off. And when I read that you should not lift the truck by the frame, for fear of ripping the airbags, that was kind of the nail in the coffin.

In the end I have a nice set of springs with the Dakars, they just needed a little help when things get heavy.

dodecagon2000

Adventurer
I'm interested in how you like the timbrens, i had them and they wernt up to par and i went to airbags and havent looked back since, yeah you loose a little bit of flex but its nothing compaired to the functionality.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I'm interested in how you like the timbrens, i had them and they wernt up to par and i went to airbags and havent looked back since, yeah you loose a little bit of flex but its nothing compaired to the functionality.

Hmmm, yes, most people have airbags. Maybe a reason for that....

Can you explain why you did not like the Timbrens? What vehicle did you have them on?

Thanks

dodecagon2000

Adventurer
Hmmm, yes, most people have airbags. Maybe a reason for that....

Can you explain why you did not like the Timbrens? What vehicle did you have them on?

Thanks

I had them on a 2007 tacoma dbl cab LB and i didn't like them because they only kept the truck level at a certain weight, any heavier it was out of level, any lighter it didn't do anything except act like a squishy extra bumpstop. they lack any form of adjust ability, my only con to the airbags is it can ride a little rough when to truck is totally un loaded and the airbags are at there minimum operating PSI of 5psi(to keep them from folding in on themselves under flex). My final opinion is to go for the adjust ability and sacrifice the unloaded ride quality, rather than getting a extra bumpstop and get a better ride quality unweighted, its a lifted expo truck, there going to ride a little rough anyways, haha

keezer37

Explorer
If anybody is looking for a hood blackout for their Gen2 Tacoma or FJC these guys look good.

Vigg Designs

Might give it a try as I am tiered of being blinded by the glare of the sun off the hood.

I've considered painting the hood satin or flat black (along with the grill surround and small body pieces under the headlights for continuity with the ARB). Other than removability, is there some other benefit of this over paint I'm not aware of?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I've considered painting the hood satin or flat black (along with the grill surround and small body pieces under the headlights for continuity with the ARB). Other than removability, is there some other benefit of this over paint I'm not aware of?

Other then the ability to remove the blackout, cost is the only thing I can think of. Sent an email to Vigg inquiring about the cost.

zidaro

Explorer
If anybody is looking for a hood blackout for their Gen2 Tacoma or FJC these guys look good.

Vigg Designs

Might give it a try as I am tiered of being blinded by the glare of the sun off the hood.

DSC01876.jpg

Sharp looking! I like. Your TACO is looking great too.

Regarding the airbags- I have to disagree about the disadvantage you stated. the bags should have no issue with the truck being lifted by the frame or by decompressing, if "jumping" for instance. Gotta remember, most of these bags are built for air suspensions on lowriders and look what they do. Off the shelf load-lift kits may not be adequate(like airlift), but i you measure your travel between the pads for your bag and get an appropriately sized bag- no tearing. I am installing a pieced together kit on my Tundra and the bag I purchased has 13" travel. we'll see if i can put my truck where my mouth is.:sombrero:
I hope the Timbens work well for ya, I looked into them but could not get past the idea of having my ride quality compromised when i'm not loaded but playing Cant wait to see them on and working.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Are you going to do the aluminum flatbed? 33lbs for the tailgate I do wonder what the whole bed weighs.

Considering it.

I think the flatbed might be about the same weight as the composite bed. Maybe even a little more?

I wish I could get a weight on the whole bed and bumper assembly.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Sharp looking! I like. Your TACO is looking great too.

Regarding the airbags- I have to disagree about the disadvantage you stated. the bags should have no issue with the truck being lifted by the frame or by decompressing, if "jumping" for instance. Gotta remember, most of these bags are built for air suspensions on lowriders and look what they do. Off the shelf load-lift kits may not be adequate(like airlift), but i you measure your travel between the pads for your bag and get an appropriately sized bag- no tearing. I am installing a pieced together kit on my Tundra and the bag I purchased has 13" travel. we'll see if i can put my truck where my mouth is.:sombrero:
I hope the Timbens work well for ya, I looked into them but could not get past the idea of having my ride quality compromised when i'm not loaded but playing Cant wait to see them on and working.

The installation PDF from Firestone states that the truck not be lifted by the frame (allowing full extension of the rear axel) with out letting all the air out of the bags. Of course you can not drive the vehicle with less than 5 psi in the bags, because of possible damage.

Damage is probably unlikely, but if there is any damage then there is no more lift from the airbags. I do not want to have to replace an airbag while on the road.

How do the Timbrens compromise ride quality when unloaded? Maybe I missed something?

With the kit for the Tacoma and Tundra (TORTUN4) you can unbolt the rubber spring, just leaving the bracket on the leaf pack. I plan to do this when not traveling, so I will be back to a straight OME Dakar setup when not loaded. Best of both worlds, or did I miss something?

zidaro

Explorer
I dont think your doing anything wrong here, just 2 ways to skin a cat type stuff.
If your removing the Timbren spring, then no compromise- so long as you still have some type of bumpstop in there to protect your Dakars.

Im not a fan of the Firestone kit or bags, dont seem to fit our needs with suspension travel in mind. And why i pieced together my setup.
airbagit.com and slamspecialties.com are huge lowrider sources with longtravel HD bags and mounts.

Are you getting a Finch? Few buds have them (loaded and shell models) and they love them, seem very durable and suited to OT.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I dont think your doing anything wrong here, just 2 ways to skin a cat type stuff.
If your removing the Timbren spring, then no compromise- so long as you still have some type of bumpstop in there to protect your Dakars.

With the Dakars, even when fully loaded, I have not touched the factory bumpstops. So not having a bumpstop when unloaded should be okay, as long as I am careful.

Im not a fan of the Firestone kit or bags, dont seem to fit our needs with suspension travel in mind. And why i pieced together my setup.
airbagit.com and slamspecialties.com are huge lowrider sources with longtravel HD bags and mounts.

Thanks for the links. I have not looked into that option, just looked at RideRite and Firestone.

Are you getting a Finch? Few buds have them (loaded and shell models) and they love them, seem very durable and suited to OT.

Thats the plan. Plan/Build thread here. Link

Do you have any photos of your friends Finches?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL