Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

zidaro

Explorer
Nice build going there, your deep in it :)

No shots of my buds campers. your going much farther into a build than they did. Shell models were kept basic.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Did not post about this when I got it, so I figured a one year in post was in order.

Garmin Nuvi 1250 GPS

nuvi.jpg

This little thing is great. It is most useful for city navigation. But with a complement of paper maps it is useful on forest roads.

I was skeptical about how useful a basic unit like this would be. I enjoy using paper maps, and we use a twelve grand chartplotter on the boat, so I had my doubts. But nothing beats not getting lost while driving through an unfamiliar city at night. I can think of a few times traveling cross country when this thing would have been worth its weight in gold.

A little off topic:
I may be alone on this, but I do not like using a touch screen. I wish it at least had some soft buttons. So for me, that would be a good reason to go with a more expensive unit.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Looks good - is it light weight? How did you secure it?

It weighs 8 pounds. I think that was the reason I had not put it on before, trying to save the weight. I need a floor on the basket for an upcoming trip, that's why I put it on now.

Installed with zip ties. Everything will be strapped to the rack and basket, not the floor, so the zip ties will hold just fine.

Added a link to FarmTek on the original post.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
While the plans for the FWC are going ahead, I will still have a couple trips with the topper and sleeping platform.

Last winter, when I was working on building a trawler, I set aside some nice ¼ marine plywood for myself. In the evenings I would put on some good music, pull a few shop lights together, and work on a new sleeping platform. I had just spent four weeks living in the truck, so I had a good idea of some changes I wanted to make.

Generation 2 is a major improvement over the first sleeping platform. It is much lighter, and has better access to storage in the bilge. But I also learned what works for me and what does not. So I had a clear build plan.

The empty bed.

29709155.jpg

The platform ribs.

70641194.jpg

The platform.

95612442.jpg

Fully opened up.

15496901.jpg

frozenground

Adventurer
wow the new platform is looking great! I'll have to show those pics to my dad as he is thinking about re-building the platform for his FSJ also.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Got everything ready to install the Timbrens. Should get them on in the next couple days.

timmf.jpg

Spent some more time comparing Timbrens to airbags, specifically the way they transfer the weight to the frame. The Timbrens sit in the stock bump stop location and transfer weight to the frame at the location of the reinforced bracket for the bump stop. On the other hand, Firestone airbags bolt to one side of the frame (closed side of C channel) and carry the weight on the other side of the frame (open side of the C channel). It looks to me that there would be some leverage associated with carrying the weight, twisting and multiplying the extra force exerted on the frame. Of course many people are using airbags on Gen2 Tacomas. But personally, I prefer the way the Timbrens transfer weight to the frame.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Front Runner Footwell Water Tank! (Link)

78740687.jpg

I have been waiting for these to come in for a long time. I am excited to have it for this next trip.

Fit of the tank is good. The picture is with the seats slid all the way back, there is very little wasted space. I am also pleased with how robust the tank is, shook it around a bit to rinse out the inside and it felt very solid. The hose system is a bit odd, not sure if I will use it or make my own valve. Tonight the tank is inside sitting full to check for leaks. (Don't ask why I know to do this.) I will put a coat of 303 on it in the morning, and we are good to go!

Bought from Paul at Equipt.

Last edited:

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hey Nathanael.

I am very excited to see that the tank fits so well in your Tacoma. It seems to match up well with the elevated area in there as well. Thanks for the nod too.

Cheers,

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Once you get past the halfway mark when using water, how does the water get from the passenger side to the drain on the driver side? Do you have to lift it up (or park sideways on a steep hill) to get the water from the passenger side over the transmission tunnel hump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL