Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

NothingClever

Explorer
I average around 16-18mpg cruising at 60mph in full travel weight, ~6000lbs. I usually stay in the slow lane following the big rigs or RVs and that helps a lot on mpg you can see the mpg number change by 2-3 instantly on the Scanguage II.

Yep, same for me and my fully-loaded Fleet on a 1st gen Taco (although I'm a cheap bastard and I don't have the TRD S/C).

Momma, the baby, the Fiamma awning, a tabletop BBQ grill, full fridge, camp chairs, and the rest of the creature comforts take me down to 16mpg going over big mountain passes. 16mpg is pretty good, IYAM.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Yep, same for me and my fully-loaded Fleet on a 1st gen Taco (although I'm a cheap bastard and I don't have the TRD S/C).

Momma, the baby, the Fiamma awning, a tabletop BBQ grill, full fridge, camp chairs, and the rest of the creature comforts take me down to 16mpg going over big mountain passes. 16mpg is pretty good, IYAM.

What MPG do you get without the FWC?

(The new FWC looks good on your Tacoma!)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
On average, you can expect a 3mpg loss with the FWC. Installing a wind fairing (like from a Yakima rack) may cut that down some, but I've yet to see any real numbers from those who use a wind fairing of some type...

With the newer models having 6'6 interior height when opened, manuvering inside with the top down is rather easy. I could sit up, make lunch and comfortably eat inside with the top down. On an older model like mine with a 6'0 interior height, I can do the same with the top down, but not quite as comfortably as in the newer units.

The roll-over couch makes for a good sleeping platform when laid out, about the same size as a double bed. The new dinette option drops down into a bed also, about the size of a single bed, ie really narrow. It wasn't awful sleeping on the dinette/bed, but it wasn't the most comfortable sleep I've ever had.... I just knew in the midle of the night I was going to roll off that thing and, splat! on the floor.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the info KC.

I think the front of the FWC will be to too far forward to use a Thule fairing on my rig.

I am thinking about the Finch or Eagle for my Tacoma, so headroom will be 6'4". Wish the smaller models had 6'6", I will be brushing my hair on the ceiling. But that is when I will be standing, standing inside - what a great thought!

I would be getting the shell model, for cost and weight. So I will be building a simple custom interior.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Sounds good!

But I can't encourage you enough, given your location and where you like to travel, consider ordering it with the Fantastic Fan and the furnace. I have yet to see anyone who ordered those two options and regretted it. More often than not, those buyers who skipped those two options, wound up adding them later or struggled to come up with a similar product for heating and cooling their camper.

I know cost is a big issue, but I truly believe that you'll be much happier with those two items, than you would be without them. Finishing out the interior could be a lot of fun. I bet they could go 6'6 on an Eagle or Finch Shell interior if you asked nicely. ;)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Stan at FWC said the Eagle and Finch are maxed out at 6'4", bummer as a couple inches of headroom would be nice.

I just can not justify close to a grand for a heater, plus the added weight. I might regret this in the future, but at this time it is what I have to do. I have spent a lot of time in cold weather heating with a stove top, so that will be my main source of heat. I am working on figuring out a small propane heater for times when I will be in extended temps near zero.

Per your recommendation I am thinking about the Fantastic Fan. They do a good job of moving air through the camper? I am thinking of getting the portable unit (Link) made by Fantastic Fan, would cost about $240 less. And I could see advantages to having a portable fan.

Any other recommendations?

Any thoughts on a roof rack? I would think there is no problems with water leaking in.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Here are the interior measurements of the Finch shell. Time to cook up some interior ideas. :chef:

(Remember, this will be lightweight and simple.)

finchmeasurements.jpg

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Stan at FWC said the Eagle and Finch are maxed out at 6'4", bummer as a couple inches of headroom would be nice.

Hmmm... I wonder what the interior height of the Fleet model is...? I get the head scraping thing. Happens to me too, you get used to it, no biggie.

I just can not justify close to a grand for a heater, plus the added weight. I might regret this in the future, but at this time it is what I have to do. I have spent a lot of time in cold weather heating with a stove top, so that will be my main source of heat. I am working on figuring out a small propane heater for times when I will be in extended temps near zero.

Several owners have had good luck with a portable Mr. Buddy heater... I've done the stove-top trick once or twice when the aux battery was too low to kick on the furnace. That stovetop will work for that. I never leave the furnace on while sleeping, mostly I kick the heater on a few minutes before I crawl into or out of bed. It's such a small space that it warms up quickly.

Per your recommendation I am thinking about the Fantastic Fan. They do a good job of moving air through the camper? I am thinking of getting the portable unit (Link) made by Fantastic Fan, would cost about $240 less. And I could see advantages to having a portable fan.

What I like about the Fantastic Fan is that it pulls air in, or vents the air out. That's nice when we're cooking something and I want to vent the odors out. Or on a hot afternoon, when you want a nap or whatever, having the means to pull cooler air in really makes a difference. Think Utah at 95+ degrees... any breeze feels good! Also it's up & out of the way vs. a floor or counter unit.

Another trick with the fan is when trying to drop the top in high winds, which can be a bugger, I turn the fan on 'vent' and by pulling the air out, it makes dropping the top easier. It's definitely been one of those, "Why didn't we get one of these sooner?" options.

Any thoughts on a roof rack? I would think there is no problems with water leaking in.

The roof is sealed really well from the factory, so there shouldn't be any leaking issues. If you plan on putting your storage box, a canoe, bike or something up there with substantial weight, you might consider adding the roof-lift assist. The roof itself isn't that hard to lift or close, but once you start putting weight up there it becomes a real strain on your shoulders, neck & back, particularly when dropping the top. Food for thought...

Any other recommendations?

I think the biggest benefits to these campers is the ability to have a secure place to sleep, space to cook, room to change clothes and getting out of bad weather. Other perks like heat, water, a fan for moving the air through, fridge for cold foods and auxiliary power are great, but certainly not required to enjoy a FWC.

If I were ordering a new Eagle today, even a shell, my top 4, "Can't live without 'em" options would be -

1. Furnace (it's cold in the majority of the places I travel, even year round and I like to keep the laptop, camera, water, etc. from freezing up overnight)
2. Fantastic Fan (because when it's not cold, it's sweltering... and I like to cook with garlic, a lot)
3. Extended cab-over (you get 4" thick cushions vs. the regular cab-over & the 2" thick cushions and the bed doesn't extend out as far into the 'living area')
4. Couch/bench (something to sleep on when you need to stop, but aren't comfortable popping the top for whatever reasons, ie 'commando camping')

slooowr6

Explorer
If I were ordering a new Eagle today, even a shell, my top 4, "Can't live without 'em" options would be -

1. Furnace (it's cold in the majority of the places I travel, even year round and I like to keep the laptop, camera, water, etc. from freezing up overnight)
2. Fantastic Fan (because when it's not cold, it's sweltering... and I like to cook with garlic, a lot)
3. Extended cab-over (you get 4" thick cushions vs. the regular cab-over & the 2" thick cushions and the bed doesn't extend out as far into the 'living area')
4. Couch/bench (something to sleep on when you need to stop, but aren't comfortable popping the top for whatever reasons, ie 'commando camping')

I'm with KC on this list, I've all of them in my Bobcat. Furnace make camping in the cold much more enjoyable, it's the simplicity makes it wonderful. No CO poison to worry, the exhaust is vent to the outside. No worry tipping over of a portable heater. I tried a Catalytic Heater when I had my Vanagon, I worry all the time I might tip it and catch fire. The Fantastic Fan works so well it's surprising, you can feel the cold air being pull in on a hot day.
One thing I'll do differently if I can do over is reinforced the frame to add some mounting point on the outside of the camper for Jerry can, Hi-Lift, shovel and etc.

Alex

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I think the biggest benefits to these campers is the ability to have a secure place to sleep, space to cook, room to change clothes and getting out of bad weather. Other perks like heat, water, a fan for moving the air through, fridge for cold foods and auxiliary power are great, but certainly not required to enjoy a FWC.

Good advice, thanks.

1. I think between my camp stove and maybe a small portable Mr Buddy heater I will stay warm. As you said it is a small space to heat, and the new insulating FWC is using looks good, granted the R. rating of the vinyl is low. I will not be able to run them at night, but I have a good sleeping bag.

2. I now realize I want a fan of some kind. It would be nice to have one mounted at the roof vent, not tripping and kicking on the floor.

3. I will be getting the extended cab-over, it is now standard on the Finch and Eagle.

4. I am planning my storage space to work as a flat surface to sleep on if I want or need to stealth camp. Looks like I will be able to sleep two people with the top down! Will also be nice in very cold conditions.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Just replaced the dome light in the truck with a HID-LED bulb set. I wanted to give these M-SMT LED's a try before ordering a complete set for the camper, and the dome light was elected to get changed to LED. If these bulbs work out I am going to order a set of red bulbs for the map lights, and a set for the upcoming FWC.

(Bought from v-leds.com. Bulb that I ordered Link.)

detaildk.jpg

Polarity matters with LED's, so I had a 50% chance of installing the bulb the correct way. Nope, it was reversed. Turned it around and voila, a nice little bright light!

I was going to do a scientific comparison of the OEM bulb versus the new LED bulbs with a light meter. But I was so excited to get the chores done and have a few minutes to tinker with the truck that I forgot to get out the light meter.

Here are the comparison photos. It's not dark out so no real idea of the how the light covers, but it looks promising.

oemj.jpg

ledh.jpg

keezer37

Explorer
Nice. I've been looking at various brands to replace some of my lamps, Putco & Halo. Particularly the DRL/Turn Signals. Since cutting in the amber lamps of the ARB, they've been sporradically shutting down. I'm assuming it's an overcurrent condition that the DRL relay can't handle.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The dome light from V-LEDs works great. The color of the light (5k) is easy to work with, and the light fills the cab nicely.

When I went to order the red map lights I discovered that if I switched to a .5W HP M-SMT bulb set I could get twice the luminous intensity, or brightness.

So here is the updated bulb that I am using in the dome light. It is very bright.
Link

The red map lights are also .5W HP M-SMT LEDs. They are very bright, but a deep red color, so there is no problem having the passenger map light on while driving. It will be great to look at maps or work with equipment at night and not blind myself and loose night vision.
Link

This was a fun and useful update on the rig, for under $30!

Note on ordering from V-Leds: It looks like they typically have a good coupon floating around on the web. Do a google search before ordering.

Note on removing map light covers: At first the map light covers are a bit of a mystery. A google search lead to many people who say you need to pull off the overhead console to get at the bulb. This is not necessary. Gently pry open the map light lens from the edge closest to the truck door, this will unclip the lens and then it will swing down and come off. Simple, just need to know what edge to start from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy