Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Today I have been doing a lot of thinking.

Here is how "Hadley" is sitting now.

Some of the conclusions of my thoughts today are summed up by these vehicles.

So maybe my direction should be this.

FWC Finch

If I ordered the shell model it would keep the weight and cost down, and I could build out the interior as I wanted.

Just some thoughts...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
As light as it is, you'll take a hit to the MPG with the 4.0 and an FWC because of wind resistance and weight.

That's one of the main reasons I went with the FlipPac - weight = 290 lbs

Overland Hadley

on a journey
As light as it is, you'll take a hit to the MPG with the 4.0 and an FWC because of wind resistance and weight.

That's one of the main reasons I went with the FlipPac - weight = 290 lbs

I do not have the numbers from FWC yet, but I am hoping the Finch shell would come in around 450 lbs. (The Finch weighs about 650, the Finch Classic weighs 550, so I am hoping the Finch shell is in the 450 range.)

I like the FlipPac, but I just can not get over the fact that it needs a separate rain fly.

As far as wind resistance goes, I have a good bit of it now. I am not sure how much the non-areodynamic square shape would decrease mpg from what I am getting now. A 1 mpg decrease would be okay, 2 or 3 would start to hurt. I would get better mpg during daily driving because I would have an empty truck bed and roof.

slooowr6

Explorer
I average around 16-18mpg cruising at 60mph in full travel weight, ~6000lbs. I usually stay in the slow lane following the big rigs or RVs and that helps a lot on mpg you can see the mpg number change by 2-3 instantly on the Scanguage II. Since you are up north, see if you can ask FWC use insulation with higher R value that'll make a huge difference. I wish I ask ATC to use something with higher R value.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I average around 16-18mpg cruising at 60mph in full travel weight, ~6000lbs. I usually stay in the slow lane following the big rigs or RVs and that helps a lot on mpg you can see the mpg number change by 2-3 instantly on the Scanguage II. Since you are up north, see if you can ask FWC use insulation with higher R value that'll make a huge difference. I wish I ask ATC to use something with higher R value.

Good to know about your mpg. I do not have a Scanguage, putting one in before the next trip, but my mpg calculations at the pump are about 17-18.5, and I drive like a grandma. It looks like the FWC is narrower than your ATC, that would give less wind resistance and better mpg. So I might not take a big mpg hit if I changed to a FWC.

Good insulation is a must. I am thinking of building the interior so I can comfortably sleep with the top down in very cold weather. I have slept multiple nights in my current setup with temps in the single digits with no real problems, and any setup in the FWC would be more comfortable.

fjatheart

Adventurer
From looking at your current set-up and the slide-in's you are considering. I'm not sure you are going to have much of a difference in mpg. Like you said, your current set-up isn't the most aerodynamic as is. Wind resistance looks like a draw to me, which it then comes down to the weight you are currently carrying and potentially could be carrying.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
How do you like that new antenna? Hows the reception with it? Looks great!

The antenna worked great in town, but once I got out of town the reception went out fast. The loss of reception away from town was bad enough that I decided not to keep the stubby, and I am back to the factory antenna. I just get tiered of it catching on tree branches.

If you have strong radio where you live and do not mind loosing channels early it is a great product. It looked slick on the truck.

I am thinking about trying a flexible OEM antenna from the Corolla. I will let you know if it works.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
From looking at your current set-up and the slide-in's you are considering. I'm not sure you are going to have much of a difference in mpg. Like you said, your current set-up isn't the most aerodynamic as is. Wind resistance looks like a draw to me, which it then comes down to the weight you are currently carrying and potentially could be carrying.

Thanks for the feedback. And welcome to ExPo!

I think you are right about wind resistance being about the same, the rig as it sits has a lot of drag. This morning I drove for one hour into a strong headwind, took a lot of power to beat into the wind. Coming home tonight with the tailwind was easy going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy