Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

slooowr6

Explorer
Really?!
Aluminum skid from Bud will be sweet!
I've been searching for aux tank ever since I got the camper and still have not found anyone made one for Tacoma.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I also am going to need to carry snow chains. I like the Konig snow chains but can't find a place to buy them here in states. I am also wondering if they are going to work on my front wheels because of the tight clearance on the back of the sidewall of the tire.

Chains will not fit on the front wheels (05+ Tacoma) due to the limited clearance on the inside of tire.

I ordered the Konig snow chains from Amazon. If you can not find them there you can get them through Thule.

slooowr6

Explorer
I should know more by tonight.

That's a drag. Why does the FJC get so much cool stuff? Well, let me know if you ever find anything.

The FJ aux tank from Man-a-fre is pretty expensive and some with it has check engine light with emission error code. These new Tacoma/FJ has emission check in the fuel system, the system uses vacuum to check for leaks in the tank after the truck is turn off. It'll compare the vacuum pressure reading with ambient pressure if the delta is not with in range it throws a code. If the system can not reach certain vacuum pressure in certain time it trows error code. It's a pretty complex algorithm. From what I read that the FJ sold outside of North America does not have the same emission check. I think that's why no one is trying to offer an aux tank for Tacoma.
I've take my truck to a custom shop to see if it's possible to build a replacement tank for the OEM with more capacity at the end he found there is not much space to work with he told with a custom tank I might get 5gal more at most which is not cost effective. The only aux tank space we found is the spare tire location which means relocate spare and that's going to cost. At the end I gave up.
What I do now is travel at 60mph on the interstate and try to follow big rigs as much as possible (with safe 3 seconds distance) this gets my at about 17-18mpg. From the reading on Scangauge by doing this improves my mpg by 2-3mpg. With that and carry a 5gal Jerry can. I start looking for gas around 280-300miles.
I still want a aux tank but I don't think it's happening.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The FJ aux tank from Man-a-fre is pretty expensive and some with it has check engine light with emission error code. These new Tacoma/FJ has emission check in the fuel system, the system uses vacuum to check for leaks in the tank after the truck is turn off. It'll compare the vacuum pressure reading with ambient pressure if the delta is not with in range it throws a code. If the system can not reach certain vacuum pressure in certain time it trows error code. It's a pretty complex algorithm. From what I read that the FJ sold outside of North America does not have the same emission check. I think that's why no one is trying to offer an aux tank for Tacoma.
I've take my truck to a custom shop to see if it's possible to build a replacement tank for the OEM with more capacity at the end he found there is not much space to work with he told with a custom tank I might get 5gal more at most which is not cost effective. The only aux tank space we found is the spare tire location which means relocate spare and that's going to cost. At the end I gave up.
What I do now is travel at 60mph on the interstate and try to follow big rigs as much as possible (with safe 3 seconds distance) this gets my at about 17-18mpg. From the reading on Scangauge by doing this improves my mpg by 2-3mpg. With that and carry a 5gal Jerry can. I start looking for gas around 280-300miles.
I still want a aux tank but I don't think it's happening.

Good information. Sounds like you have done some solid research. I also had thought about replacing the OEM tank with a custom tank, but that sounds like it is a no go as well. Again, thanks for sharing

I will now permanently cross the aux fuel tank off my list.
A couple of Wedco's on the rack is not the worst thing in the world. And driving like a granny does save a lot of gas.

Interesting about the FJC's sold outside of North America having a different emission check system, that makes sense. I forget the FJC is sold world-wide, that is why it has so much after market support. While our lowly Tacoma is sold only in North America, and mostly as a grocery getter.

Photog

Explorer
If you were to get an aux fuel tank, it would most likely fit in the location of the spare tire. Then the spare would have to move to a new location.

Maybe you could leave the spare where it is, and mount a fuel rack where the spare could have gone (rear swing out)?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Maybe you could leave the spare where it is, and mount a fuel rack where the spare could have gone (rear swing out)?

I have thought about that, but I am hesitant to store gas on the rear bumper. I would hate to have a minor hit and have gallons of gas spilling out. Maybe it would be just as safe as a aux tank in the spare tire location? So it is something to think about. Although it is a lot of weight a long way behind the axel.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
A 20 gallon Jeep XJ tank fits nicely between the framerails where the spare used to sit. Will make an excellent aux/transfer tank, plus it comes with a skid plate.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Air intake question.

I am doing some work on the air intake in preparation for the Cyclone pre filter. I had the air filter out, and I was looking at the permanent air filter located after the replaceable filter. I was surprised to see that it was somewhat dirty. Is this normal? The seal around the air filter looked good, and the "clean" side of the filter looked clean.

So, what is the purpose of this permanent air filter, is it normal that it is dirty, and is there a way to replace it?

Thanks.

mr.trd

Adventurer
The only way to replace it is too buy the whole airbox and that is over $400.00 if I remember correctly. I don't think that it is neccesarily dirty though, cause my buddies brand new 2010 looks "dirty" on the outside. I think it has charcoal or something in it. Either way, a screwdriver to pop it off and break the plastic rivots and a shop vac to suck up the broken plastic parts works great. I know that I picked up some gas mileage when I removed mine. A non servicable filter is not what needs to be there for those of us that know how to do maintenance on a vehicle. I think it is there for those are don't put the filter housing covering on correctly and those that don't do maintenance. But that is just what I did.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The only way to replace it is too buy the whole airbox and that is over $400.00 if I remember correctly. I don't think that it is neccesarily dirty though, cause my buddies brand new 2010 looks "dirty" on the outside. I think it has charcoal or something in it. Either way, a screwdriver to pop it off and break the plastic rivots and a shop vac to suck up the broken plastic parts works great. I know that I picked up some gas mileage when I removed mine. A non servicable filter is not what needs to be there for those of us that know how to do maintenance on a vehicle. I think it is there for those are don't put the filter housing covering on correctly and those that don't do maintenance. But that is just what I did.

Good information. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy