Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Suspension Update

I recently had the need to drive about 10 miles of dirt roads at high speed. (At or above normal highway speed.)

I was super impressed with how well the suspension felt while being pushed. Corners were solid, dips and rises in the road felt smooth. The truck was mostly unloaded, but the topper and racks keep some weight always on. I did not build a go fast racing truck, but it is nice to know that if needed it can handle a fast run. Another good vote for Old Man Emu and Dakar!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Skid Plates.

I am looking at some underbelly protection. I have been hoping somebody would start building aluminum skid plates, as I would really like the weight savings. But as far as I am aware, the only current offerings are BudBuilt and AllPro. The BudBuilt skids look to have better protection, but I am sure they weigh more. I guess I would lean toward the BudBuilt set, unless somebody has some info that would sway me in another direction. (Or if HeelToe989 would want to sell me his aluminum set, that would be great!)

Does anybody have any advice or other info/things I should think about?

Thanks.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Skid Plates.

I am looking at some underbelly protection. I have been hoping somebody would start building aluminum skid plates, as I would really like the weight savings. But as far as I am aware, the only current offerings are BudBuilt and AllPro. The BudBuilt skids look to have better protection, but I am sure they weigh more. I guess I would lean toward the BudBuilt set, unless somebody has some info that would sway me in another direction. (Or if HeelToe989 would want to sell me his aluminum set, that would be great!)

Does anybody have any advice or other info/things I should think about?

Thanks.

Talk to Kevin at Armor-tech off-road http://www.armortechoffroad.com/. Small shop and he has a 05+ Tacoma and I bet he would build you anything you like. He is doing my rear bumper for my truck and is a great guy to talk too! Let him know you know me from the forums and he will take of anything you need.

Richard

heeltoe989

Explorer
Suspension Update

I recently had the need to drive about 10 miles of dirt roads at high speed. (At or above normal highway speed.)

I was super impressed with how well the suspension felt while being pushed. Corners were solid, dips and rises in the road felt smooth. The truck was mostly unloaded, but the topper and racks keep some weight always on. I did not build a go fast racing truck, but it is nice to know that if needed it can handle a fast run. Another good vote for Old Man Emu and Dakar!

Still LOVE mine!!!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Let us know what they say. I'd love a set of aluminum skids for my '07 tacoma too.

Russ.

Emailed him today, I will let you know what I find out.

On a side note, your truck has a front hitch mount right? What info can you give me on that. Thanks.

Last edited:

WxMan

Adventurer
My truck had a front hitch mount. Now I have an ARB bumper. The front receiver was built by CBI offroad. If you go on TTORA and search "Front hitch receiver" you should be able to find a thread with some good information and more pictures. It is very well built and was extremely easy to mount. I had originally intended to run a portable winch set up but in the end decided to go whole hog and put the ARB on. Now the receiver is just taking up space in my garage. I'd sell it but I hate shipping stuff like that (it is heavy and awkward) and it isn't really worth that much anyway.

WxMan

Adventurer
Hey, no problem.

If you or anyone else wants to purchase the receiver I'm going to be at the Overland Expo and could easily bring it down with me.

Sorry for the hijack. I know I shouldn't be peddling my goods in your thread. :)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Talk to Kevin at Armor-tech off-road

Let us know what they say. I'd love a set of aluminum skids for my '07 tacoma too.

I received an email from Kevin. He said he would get pricing info for doing his skids in aluminum. Hard to tell from the photos of his skids, but I am not sure if his skids protect the low hanging exhaust cross over and the transfer case.

BudBuilt skid plates weigh in at 115 lbs. I do not plan on driving by "braille," so I think BudBuilt's would be over kill for my rig.

Maybe Armor-Tech at the front, and the AllPro Transfer Case/Exhaust skid plate (26 lbs) is the best answer for me.
(BudBuilt's made from aluminum would be ideal, but I think not possible.)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Is anybody with an 05+ Tacoma using an auxiliary fuel tank or know of one being made?

I do not need a lot more fuel, just about 10 or 15 gallons. And I would like to move the weight of the Wedco's from the roof rack.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy