Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Why can't you just make your own pre-filter? I would suggest doing it as a snorkel too....

Get the pre-filter top, anything will work just get the style and pipe size you like. Figure out how to route it in the engine bay and where to come out of the fender. This will probily take more time than anything else! Go to a hose shop and get the type of hose or pipe you like and fittings, ect. Go home and build it! You can use all types of hose in the snorkel/pre-filter system. From turbo/Supercharger silicone hose to stainless steel to braided exhaust flex pipe. A good hose shop will have tons to choose from and I would go no less than 2"...much better with a 3" or so pipe. You can paint it all black or go silver like your truck color or even have it powder coated.

Any ways, that is my suggestion. Whenever we can't get something for my truck we always just build it!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Why can't you just make your own pre-filter? I would suggest doing it as a snorkel too....

Get the pre-filter top, anything will work just get the style and pipe size you like. Figure out how to route it in the engine bay and where to come out of the fender. This will probily take more time than anything else! Go to a hose shop and get the type of hose or pipe you like and fittings, ect. Go home and build it! You can use all types of hose in the snorkel/pre-filter system. From turbo/Supercharger silicone hose to stainless steel to braided exhaust flex pipe. A good hose shop will have tons to choose from and I would go no less than 2"...much better with a 3" or so pipe. You can paint it all black or go silver like your truck color or even have it powder coated.

Any ways, that is my suggestion. Whenever we can't get something for my truck we always just build it!

Yes, maybe at some point. At this time however, the home made snorkel is not on the books.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Emailed Jacque at TRDParts4U, he looked over the air intake on the FJC and the Tacoma.

I just went and looked at a Taco and FJC. The main difference is the hose from the fender to air box is a hard molded hose on the Tacoma, on the FJC it is a flexable rubber hose. I would think you could bolt this right up using the flexable hose from the FJC. Or possibly cut the hard molded hose on the Tacoma, however you would essentially destroy a hose to test it.

(FJC Cyclone air pre-filter) Part number 17730-31030
The FJC hose part number is 17882-31080.

I am going to try installing the Cyclone on my Tacoma.

However, this project might have to wait until the spring or next summer. So if somebody gives it a try before then let me know how it works.

daverami

Explorer
Emailed Jacque at TRDParts4U, he looked over the air intake on the FJC and the Tacoma.

However, this project might have to wait until the spring or next summer. So if somebody gives it a try before then let me know how it works.

Very interested in this project!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

:lurk:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Belated trip report here.

Four weeks in Montana and Wyoming. About 5,000 miles added on the odometer. Averaged 17.5-18 mpg over the tip. I got over 21 mpg driving at 40 mph in Yellowstone NP, and 15-16 mpg on the freeway home.

Every night was spent sleeping in the back. At the end of the trip temps were getting down into the low teens/ single digits. Slept warm enough, but fixing coffee in the morning was chilly, as things are at those temps. The windoors were nice at sub-freezing temps, as they allowed a small amount of ventilation to keep the condensation to a minimum. (Far cry from desert nights in the spring, with everything wide open, cool breeze blowing through, and a good view of the stars.) And I found that for the in-transit days Cabela's makes a comfy place to stay the night, much nicer than most Wall-Marts.

The Primus stove running on 1lb Coleman propane tanks worked like a champ. Was a bit worried about how well it would work at elevation, but it still worked just fine at 10,000 feet and sub freezing temps. The new recyclable canisters are good to use, and I found plenty of places that had a drop box for them.

I have a couple of small additions to the rig, will post them up in the near future.

I want to give a big thanks to Pat and Cindy. Always nice to have a good (free) place to set up camp. Thanks guys!

Here are the rig shots. The main purpose of the trip was to make large format landscape photographs, if you are interested in that body of work it can be viewed on my website. (It will be at least two months before the work from this trip is up on the website, possibly much longer.)

more photos coming...

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Oh the Bighorn Mountains! I miss that place!
Nice Build! Simple and effective!

Thanks for the comment on the build, simple and effective is what I am going for.

As for the Bighorns, what amazing country. Lots of places to explore, definitely an area I am going back to.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Update on the Silblade wipers.

They worked great for a while, then they started to work not so great. This fall when I was driving home from Wyoming they were skipping and missing and in general not doing a good job at all. This was very frustrating as I was driving twelve hours a day for a couple days in heavy rain. Not sure what happened as I had been using them for less than one year, nothing close to the 5 year guarantee. I just talked to Silblade and got the warranty process underway. Hopefully I can get these replaced and try another pair, I am disappointed as I had heard so many good things about Silblades.

But this is what is interesting....

I saw on Silblade's website that they now have a 90 day warranty and that is it. That is a big jump, to go from 5 years to 90 days. Understandable not to warranty a product like this for more than a short amount of time, but one has to wonder if the quality has changed.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
Really nice build so far! Have you added an awning to the back of your roof basket? If not, what is the horizontal silver thing on the back end of your rack? I can't find anything about it in your thread...

Cheers,
West

CYi5

Explorer
Update on the Silblade wipers.

They worked great for a while, then they started to work not so great. This fall when I was driving home from Wyoming they were skipping and missing and in general not doing a good job at all. This was very frustrating as I was driving twelve hours a day for a couple days in heavy rain. Not sure what happened as I had been using them for less than one year, nothing close to the 5 year guarantee. I just talked to Silblade and got the warranty process underway. Hopefully I can get these replaced and try another pair, I am disappointed as I had heard so many good things about Silblades.

I heard the same thing from another silblade user; think i'll be passing on these guys, thanks for the update.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Really nice build so far! Have you added an awning to the back of your roof basket? If not, what is the horizontal silver thing on the back end of your rack? I can't find anything about it in your thread...

Cheers,
West

Thanks.

Yes, that is an awning on the back. I have a couple of posts in this thread from when I first got it, but I think the photo links are dead.
It is made by Shady Boy in Canada. Link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy