Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

mr.trd

Adventurer
That is what mine looked like too right after I bought it. Of course it had all been serviced just before I bought it. Mine came from the Vegas area, so, not as many leaves, but had enough sand in it to fill a small toy sandbox.

Photog

Explorer
The charcoal in the non-removable filter is probably part of the emissions equipment. It is probably supposed to absorb gas vapors, after engine shut-down.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was ready to order two Camping Lab awnings for the rig, but then I saw this.

Overland Journal has a comprehensive awning test scheduled for the next issue (spring)

We review:
1. Camping Lab
2. Eezi-Awn
3. Fiamma
4. Hannibal
5. Fox Wing
6. Front Runner Featherlight
7. Sunseeker

I will now wait and see what the OJ crew comes up with.
The Front Runner awning is interesting, but looking at the list I think Camping Lab will still come out on top for my needs.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
There are a couple of light weight options from Bud Built.

1/4" thick aluminum @ 74 lbs.
1/8" thick steel @ 94 lbs.

(Weights are for the front 3 skids and crossmember, not including gas tank skid.)

I am not sure if I want the gas tank skid. I need to crawl around under the truck and do some thinking.

The aluminum skids will cost about $500 more than a steel set. At this point I am not sure if I am going to do the aluminum or the 1/8" steel. ($500 buys a lot of gas.)

-The aluminum will not rust (6 months of winter here) but it will grind up on rocks.
-The steel will rust (would coat heavily with Rustoleum) and could be hammered back in place if it gets bashed up.

Anybody have any other ideas regarding aluminum vs. steel? Keep in mind this is a long distance overland vehicle, not a drive by braille rock rig.

heeltoe989

Explorer

(Weights are for the front 3 skids and crossmember, not including gas tank skid.)

I am not sure if I want the gas tank skid. I need to crawl around under the truck and do some thinking.

The aluminum skids will cost about $500 more than a steel set. At this point I am not sure if I am going to do the aluminum or the 1/8" steel. ($500 buys a lot of gas.)

-The aluminum will not rust (6 months of winter here) but it will grind up on rocks.
-The steel will rust (would coat heavily with Rustoleum) and could be hammered back in place if it gets bashed up.

Anybody have any other ideas regarding aluminum vs. steel? Keep in mind this is a long distance overland vehicle, not a drive by braille rock rig.

Aluminum skids as mine have taken some really good knocks and are still good to go!

slooowr6

Explorer

Did Bud give you a price on 1/8" stainless steel? Or it's not in your consideration. I'm waiting for Bud to give me price on both aluminum and stainless steel.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Did Bud give you a price on 1/8" stainless steel? Or it's not in your consideration. I'm waiting for Bud to give me price on both aluminum and stainless steel.

Bud told me the price on the 1/8" is the same as the regular steel set. I am not sure if it is stainless. He has just referred to them as .12" thick steel. Has he said the 1/8 is available as stainless and regular?

I have an email in to Bud.

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
Bud told me the price on the 1/8" is the same as the regular steel set. I am not sure if it is stainless. He has just referred to them as .12" thick steel. Has he said the 1/8 is available as stainless and regular?

Bud did offer light weight stainless skid on FJ forum some times ago.
I think he do offer them in 1/8" stainless steel but I don't have price yet.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The aluminum alloy used will make a big difference in both price and in strength. Any idea what alloy he plans to use?

Most of the desert racers seem to use the typical 6061 T-6 alloy. Those skids last quite a long time, usually the life of the car. Some are 1/4", others are 3/16"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy