building the Bullet XV

sarconcepts

Adventurer
Another question for those of you smarter than I
Over these winter months, while some of our RV's are just sitting, what do you all recommend for keeping the engine batteries charged, a trickle charger? but leaving anything plugged in all the time worries me, especially in a closed shop where charge gasses can build up,(or is this not an issue with the tiny trickle chargers) or just get a jump starter to get the engine running when I do get the chance to drive it, at which point it can charge itself, & if so, how big a jump starter to handle a 6.7 diesel engine?
thanks
Steve
p.s. I know the best would be to drive it every so often, but sometimes that doesn't happen

p.p.s anybody have experience with a battery tender charger?

Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Dude you're back! How is that unit of units doing? One of these days I will climb the big hill to see you, honest! Funny thing I bet is you won't be there that day.

westyss

Explorer
Another question for those of you smarter than I
Over these winter months, while some of our RV's are just sitting, what do you all recommend for keeping the engine batteries charged, a trickle charger? but leaving anything plugged in all the time worries me, especially in a closed shop where charge gasses can build up,(or is this not an issue with the tiny trickle chargers) or just get a jump starter to get the engine running when I do get the chance to drive it, at which point it can charge itself, & if so, how big a jump starter to handle a 6.7 diesel engine?
thanks
Steve
p.s. I know the best would be to drive it every so often, but sometimes that doesn't happen

p.p.s anybody have experience with a battery tender charger?

Steve, I see no one responded so thought I would give my limited knowledge recommendation. I would use a trickle charger for sure and perhaps even disconnect the batteries from the truck, new vehicles have many phantom loads that will deplete the batteries in no time, if the batteries get run down they will be ruined and will never come back to 100% life. A two amp trickle charger will not make much gas if any and will just keep the battery from discharging as the batteries will lose a percentage of thier power just sitting around not attached to anything. A smart charger is a good investment and can act like a trickle charger once it has charged the battery up to close to 100%, or float. Worse things for batteries- discharged too low, as in below 50% for a deep cycle battery and not getting it charged up as soon as possible.

sarconcepts

Adventurer
so, I take it, I shouldn't be too worried about the gasses from a trickle charger even though it's in an enclosed shop,
not going to explode or anything.

Carlyle

Explorer
I would think that have a good quality smart charger from a reputable manufacturer would be paramount. if you are leaving your camper sit for an extended period, disconnect the batteries and use a good quality smart trickle charger and all would be well. A good one will cycle them and can be set for agm vs la batteries.

Just what I would do if I had to have my camper sit.

Unless your camper is so small your camper doesn't fit, I wouldn't worry about gases, especially with agm batteries.

Carl

sarconcepts

Adventurer
thanks for the help
here's what I ended up getting, a Noco genius G7200 smart battery charger
with 12 stages of charging & constant monitoring of battery status, meant to be hooked up for long periods of time
just what the situation needed
G7200.1.jpg

Steve

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Just think, your build could have turned out like this!

8655_210712525737701_7769757_n.jpg

sarconcepts

Adventurer
I know
I'm quoting myself
thanks for the help
here's what I ended up getting, a Noco genius G7200 smart battery charger
with 12 stages of charging & constant monitoring of battery status, meant to be hooked up for long periods of time
just what the situation needed
But this is EXACTLY what I was looking for,
I'm extremely happy with this one
The "other one" I temporarily bought buzzed loudly & the needle shook violently while it charged making me think the thing was about to explode any minute
I REALLY wasn't comfortable with it left alone, so much so, I drove the Bullet home & sat it beneath my bedroom window to charge it overnight
For anyone in this position I would highly recomend the Noko genius G7200 charger, I feel perfectly comfortable leaving it for long periods.
it's totally different than other chargers, it doesn't even get warm, it is a smarter approach
.. ... and, it cost about the same!
steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl