Built my sleeping platform!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
http://www.truck-bedz.com

Not cheap but the best air mattress I have found. My queen size we use is now two years old, about 40 trips with zero issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a practical option for me, though.

First off, I don't like air mattresses of any kind, too many bad experiences with them. Also don't like the time it takes to inflate/deflate, not to mention having to run a noisy air compressor to inflate them.

Second, those Truck Bedz are OK but you can only use them after you take everything else OUT of the bed, which means that "stealth camping" is not an option.

Finally, the Truck Bedz are shaped to go around the fender wells - but the whole purpose of building a platform is to get the sleeping surface ABOVE the fender wells, which not only lets me use what would otherwise be wasted space, it also gives me storage underneath.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I may have mentioned this when you came over, but something simple my wife and I did when we camped in our setup was to cut out some screens for the windows. We just used the roll of screen you get for a screen door and used magnets on the outside of the body. It allowed great airflow and rolled up small when we wanted to pack up.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I may have mentioned this when you came over, but something simple my wife and I did when we camped in our setup was to cut out some screens for the windows. We just used the roll of screen you get for a screen door and used magnets on the outside of the body. It allowed great airflow and rolled up small when we wanted to pack up.

I agree! At DE-II in Moab I nearly got eaten alive by mosquitos when we camped at River House on the San Juan river, so screens are on my "to do" list as well. I think what I'm going to do is try to make some rectangular frames that will fit in the passenger door windows, maybe 3 - 4" high. I'll cut a groove in the bottom of them for the window to "pinch" it in place, and I'll staple some screen material in there.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Built my window screens but I'll post them in a different area since they have an application to more than just a 4runner...

PV Hiker

Observer
I built a back storage in my 2005 4 runner and was going to make a extention to the front as a removable unit. I was going to remove the seat bottom and back. Then we bought a RRT. Since you have the front support legs consider removing the backs of the seats too. That will allow a lot of unused space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy