Burzon's 2004 4Runner SE (V6) Overland Build

Lecoq

Explorer
You certainly did get a great deal on the whole package. I'm already double that into mine and still don't have a rear tire carrier... :(

jolivergraham

That thing is VERY cool Matt!
The AEV was cooler, but my Rubicon was cooler than my Jetta, so I can't really talk.

Good to see you're back into it!

MBurzon

Photo/Video, Mechanic, Cook, Driver, First Aid
You certainly did get a great deal on the whole package. I'm already double that into mine and still don't have a rear tire carrier... :(

Nice build. I really dig the ARB skids and didn't know there was an application for the 4Runner. Mid-level protection at a great price...I was looking at the Shrockworks skids but they are much more expensive. Over $1200. perhaps the ARB's are the way to go. How have they held up for you?

MBurzon

That thing is VERY cool Matt!
The AEV was cooler, but my Rubicon was cooler than my Jetta, so I can't really talk.

Good to see you're back into it!

John - I hope we can run VOT together next year. I'll keep you posted with plans as the date nears.

Lecoq

Explorer
Nice build. I really dig the ARB skids and didn't know there was an application for the 4Runner. Mid-level protection at a great price...I was looking at the Shrockworks skids but they are much more expensive. Over $1200. perhaps the ARB's are the way to go. How have they held up for you?

My issue with Shrockworks and BudBuilt is lead time.They make great products but I'm not one who's willing to wait 6 months + to get something I'm paying for now. The ARB skids are great. They were in stock, cost $500 landed and weight about 40 lbs all together. Can't go wrong with that. They seem to be holding on great. Tested them a bit last weekend.

MBurzon

My issue with Shrockworks and BudBuilt is lead time.They make great products but I'm not one who's willing to wait 6 months + to get something I'm paying for now. The ARB skids are great. They were in stock, cost $500 landed and weight about 40 lbs all together. Can't go wrong with that. They seem to be holding on great. Tested them a bit last weekend.

Thanks for the info. My skids are toast and definitely the weak link in my build. Once I get through a new set of tires I'll address that.

Lecoq

Explorer
I hope I can make it out your way and hit some trails next summer. I have family a few hours north of you. I'd love to have a look at your truck in person. Are you going to run wheel spacers with the steelies?

joneseyyy

Explorer
Matt, great to meet you at VOT and was thrilled to have another 4runner there (I was in the black 5th gen). You got a screaming deal on yours! Since you're considering skids, I'll offer my quick opinion - the ARBs are cheaper because they are thinner, and more likely to bend/tweak than budbuilts or shrockworks that are 3/16" steel. Several 5th gen guys have managed to trash the ARBs in ways I've never seen a 3/16" steel skid be messed up. I have the shrockworks skids, and I've knocked the CRAP out of them and they've held up quite well.

McFly2003

Adventurer
Subscribed! Great looking truck indeed. To add to Jonseyy's input, you will definitely get a ton more protection out of a set of buds or shrockworks, but it really all depends on the sort of wheeling you do. I had Bud Builts on my 3rd gen and while they were bullet proof (probably literally), they weighed an absolute TON. For everyday driving and backwoods exploring, the ARB will typically suit you fine (just to save some pounds).

MBurzon

I hope I can make it out your way and hit some trails next summer. I have family a few hours north of you. I'd love to have a look at your truck in person. Are you going to run wheel spacers with the steelies?

Let me know if you head east. My family lives a few hours north as well - my parents are near Manchester, VT and my gf's family in Meredith, NH. There are trails all over the place.

I have 1.25" spacers now that I plan to keep on the truck. I love the stance...

I'm a little nervous to run the 255 80 17 KM2's. I have a heavy OME lift and a 1" body lift...hope that is enough to clear them. Already planning on removing the rear mud flaps.

Last edited:

MBurzon

Matt, great to meet you at VOT and was thrilled to have another 4runner there (I was in the black 5th gen). You got a screaming deal on yours! Since you're considering skids, I'll offer my quick opinion - the ARBs are cheaper because they are thinner, and more likely to bend/tweak than budbuilts or shrockworks that are 3/16" steel. Several 5th gen guys have managed to trash the ARBs in ways I've never seen a 3/16" steel skid be messed up. I have the shrockworks skids, and I've knocked the CRAP out of them and they've held up quite well.

Hey Ben - great meeting you too. Let me know next time you come up this way and we can do a 4Runner run. Are you planning on VOT next year?

Lecoq

Explorer
Subscribed! Great looking truck indeed. To add to Jonseyy's input, you will definitely get a ton more protection out of a set of buds or shrockworks, but it really all depends on the sort of wheeling you do. I had Bud Builts on my 3rd gen and while they were bullet proof (probably literally), they weighed an absolute TON. For everyday driving and backwoods exploring, the ARB will typically suit you fine (just to save some pounds).

I'm 100% with you. Would I love to have Shrockworks skids? Of course, but with my truck being a DD and going out only 10 to 12 times a year, I have a hard time justifying $1300, waiting 6 months and an extra 100lbs. I will upgrade to thicker skids when time and money permits if I have a need for them.

Lecoq

Explorer
I'm almost done with the FJ Steelies project. The Dupli-color "Toyota Super White II" was a major mistake. The cans were too small and too expensive for this project. I returned the majority of them and switched to a Rustoleum High-Performance Industrial Grade Gloss White. It claims its a stronger paint and looks fantastic. It was literally twice the paint for a dollar less a can. I can report on how they hold up over time later.

Time for some rubber! I think that I will pull the trigger on BFG KM2 255 80 17's. I'm running 285 70 17's now with no problem. I like the tall & skinny idea, but am having some second thoughts...the 285 70 17 KM2's could also work but are more pricey; same with the new MTR's.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Not sure what the wheeling is like in your area but the guys around here seem to love the new MTR a lot in mud and rocks.

MBurzon

Not sure what the wheeling is like in your area but the guys around here seem to love the new MTR a lot in mud and rocks.

I spend most of my time in Vermont and New Hampshire where the trails can get fairly nasty. Vermont is very rooty and often wet, with lots of exposed bedrock. I wheeled Wisconsin extensively with all-terrains and never had a problem. New England is a different animal - most folks around here run some type of mud terrain.

Many of the VOT participants were running KM2's and we had something like 23+ flats on the 50 vehicles participating. Sort of makes me want to invest in the Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar sidewall tires!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal