Burzon's 2004 4Runner SE (V6) Overland Build

MBurzon

Photo/Video, Mechanic, Cook, Driver, First Aid
I would guess back of the front fender. That's where mine rubs when I'm flexing it.

I haven't had a good chance to flex the suspension, but yes, the first instance of rubbing is at the back of the front fender just inside the wheel well.

MBurzon

I think I might copy your exhaust setup. Looks great and mine is squished from a previous trail run.

Magnaflow. It looks good and keeps exhaust from getting in the truck with the back window down. It has a great tone but is loud and can get annoying on extended road trips.

MBurzon

This was a great weekend - I feel that my "shakedown" phase is mostly complete and my truck is running in top form. I fixed a rattle in my steering wheel by following this link: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/57115-steering-wheel-knock.html - a very well spent 20 minutes.

I had an annoying squeak coming from the rear of my truck but after lubricating the rear hatch latch and the rear seat latches the squeak is gone. How great to have a rattle free truck - the WAY IT SHOULD BE! :victory:

I came home to find a package from Wheelers Offroad with new lugnuts designed for the Toyota steelies. The factory lugs were not quite right...so now I have the proper lugs on in black along with the steel center caps. The truck is looking dapper. Just need to find time to trim the front wheel wells for the new tires.

Acorn style lug nuts for factory Toyota Steelies - make sure you are running the proper lug nuts!
photo 1.JPG

Steelies with center caps installed.
photo 2.jpg

Last edited:

MBurzon

While I am waiting for the RCI Metalworks skids, I decided I might as well fix my rear sway bar links. Because stock length is now too short with the lift, they basically have begun to pull apart at the joint. That wear and tear and extra play equals noise when hitting bumps so for about $30 I'm building new ones. Here is the link I'm using as a guide: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...sh-extended-rear-sway-bar-links-write-up.html

I plan to hit the eye bolts with a coat of black spray paint to make it less "Tractor Supply". lol. This seems like a good mod, assuming use of a high grade eyebolt.

MBurzon

Slightly unrelated to my build thread, I'd like to congratulate my dog Guinness on his first successful "Trail Dog Challenge." We mountain biked 7 miles together, passing other people and dogs and squirrels and birds, unleashed without issue. He was a rescue and is now about 2 years old. It was a great day for both of us and I look forward to many more adventures together!

Exercising at the Fells in Boston.
photo 3.jpg

Last edited:

MBurzon

Look what showed up yesterday. This is going to be a fun weekend!

photo.JPG

MBurzon

I didn't have as much time as I hoped for in the garage this weekend, but was able to get the front RCI skid installed, the rear sway links built up, and a few coats of Rustoleum on the transmission and t-case skid. I will have the remaining two skids up by this weekend. The rear sway bar end links were a pain to get off...I ended up using a cutting wheel on my right angle grinder. The replacement link build guide was spot on. The truck is riding nice and tight now - no rattles inside or out. All of my projects are going to be finished just in time for some wheeling and camping at the Yankee Toys Fall Gathering!

RCI Front Skid
Image 4.jpg

Custom Rear Sway Bar Links
Image 1.jpg

Painting the RCI Skids
Image 5.jpg

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
I don't understand how the rear sway bar link setup can be effective with the bushings on both sides of the sway bar itself. Doesn't that allow for diagonal movement instead of just directing the flex to the upper body mount bushings?

ebg18t

Adventurer
I don't understand how the rear sway bar link setup can be effective with the bushings on both sides of the sway bar itself. Doesn't that allow for diagonal movement instead of just directing the flex to the upper body mount bushings?

I wondered the same thing. But was told the poly bushing were stiff enough to transfer the forces effectively.

MBurzon

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking but can take a stab at a response. If the connection at the sway bar itself was fixed, with bushings only at the body mounts, the sway bar would mostly eliminate the axles ability to flex diagonally over varied terrain. Not ideal for trail use but it would certainly corner like it was on rails.

I can report that there is quite a significant difference between no rear sway bar and the design above, however I'm quite certain that the design above does allow for more flex off-road than stock due to the aforementioned poly bushing modification.

Lecoq

Explorer
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking but can take a stab at a response. If the connection at the sway bar itself was fixed, with bushings only at the body mounts, the sway bar would mostly eliminate the axles ability to flex diagonally over varied terrain. Not ideal for trail use but it would certainly corner like it was on rails.

I can report that there is quite a significant difference between no rear sway bar and the design above, however I'm quite certain that the design above does allow for more flex off-road than stock due to the aforementioned poly bushing modification.

Thanks for the feedback. My thought was that the new setup you have with the poly bushings would be great offroad for the extra flex but on the road you also get unwanted extra flex from the links being able to pivot under cornering load. So you're saying this is better than not having a sway bar on the road and better than having a fixed sway bar link offroad?

MBurzon

@Tmacphee - thank you for checking out my build. I love the 4Runner but the AEV XJ was a terrific rig too. If you would like to see the AEV XJ in action I found my old thread on a Wisconsin 4x4 site: http://www.wi4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1331

The XJ build was further along than my 4Runner is now - it was locked F&R, with compressed air, hot water shower, full skids, an atlas t-case, proper gearing, a built Ford 9" rear, and a roof rack. I'm not sure the 4Runner needs all of that, but I'd certainly like to get compressed air, a gas tank skid, and maybe a locker set up going in the near future. Between the two, the 4Runner is a more comfortable and solid vehicle (unibody vs. body on frame) but the Jeep was wicked fun.

Tmacphee

Wow, that had way more upgrades than I was expecting. By far the coolest XJ I've come across! Looking forward to seeing the 4 runner out on the trails at VOT. I definitely need to get over to VT and explore some of the class 4s before then though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal