Cabinet build materials

rruff

Explorer
Looking to build cabinets for the bed of my F150. Anything but wood...
Is back of your bed covered?
I’m on my second build using 8020 framing faced with 1/2” expanded PVC. I still use the back of the truck as a truck, so the PVC needs a little help with impact resistance, it’s painted with Monstaliner.
I like how that stuff works with a structural skin. It's basically a heavy duty foam that's about ~40-50% of the weight of solid PVC.

The stuff I bought is pretty darn floppy on its own, but it's only 6mm.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
80/20 for the structural portion of the cabinets and birch panels seems like a good compromise.
The 80/20 will save weight over wood and also save space. The major con, in my opinion, is the cost.

Cheers

rruff

Explorer
80/20 for the structural portion of the cabinets and birch panels seems like a good compromise.
The 80/20 will save weight over wood and also save space. The major con, in my opinion, is the cost.
It depends on the details. I'm not sure a frame is even needed... why not screw and glue the edges of the ply? I make fillets all the time with epoxy and fumed silica thickener to give extra strength to a joint.

Most of my storage is plastic... two big garage drawer deals with some mods, and 16 plastic crates in the 70 qt range. The crates slide on outdoor carpet. Table and couch tops are 5/8" ply with minimal supports of 1x2, 1x4, and 2x2. Microfiber beach towels cut and glued, and bungee cords inserted for hanging storage in the corners.

I figured the weight of my "furniture" should be a tiny fraction of the stuff I was carrying, and that is definitely true. Anyway... many ways to skin this cat.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I agree, rruff.
Glue and screw ply is an excellent solution. My dog platform in the access cab is designed that way.
I'm thinking that the cabinet ply in the end will weight more than using 80/20 for structure, and "thin" birch ply for the panels. I'm already pretty heavy and running Stage 3 Deavers.

Cheers

highwest

It depends on the details. I'm not sure a frame is even needed... why not screw and glue the edges of the ply? I make fillets all the time with epoxy and fumed silica thickener to give extra strength to a joint.

Most of my storage is plastic... two big garage drawer deals with some mods, and 16 plastic crates in the 70 qt range. The crates slide on outdoor carpet. Table and couch tops are 5/8" ply with minimal supports of 1x2, 1x4, and 2x2. Microfiber beach towels cut and glued, and bungee cords inserted for hanging storage in the corners.

I figured the weight of my "furniture" should be a tiny fraction of the stuff I was carrying, and that is definitely true. Anyway... many ways to skin this cat.
Having built two truck beds out of 8020 frame and plastic sheet, I think screw and glued ply is an idea that should not be dismissed. It’s cheap and easy to get, relative to 8020 and plastic or composite. And it’s pretty easy to work with. Sure, non-wood solutions are more impervious to water, but how much water will your furniture see? Good thought here.

rruff

Explorer
Having built two truck beds out of 8020 frame and plastic sheet
Got a photo? Sheet thickness and type?

It's hard to gauge what the OP would want without knowing details. I don't have a bit of issue with wood if it's inside, but I'm not keen on it being exposed to rain no matter how well covered and sealed.

The underbed boxes I'm making are 6mm expanded PVC with 1x18oz FG cloth+epoxy on each side, and 2x11oz carbon for the doors (for stiffness). Stuff like this ends up being ~$15-20 and 1.3 lb/sq ft for the panel, plus paint... and work!

highwest

Got a photo? Sheet thickness and type?

It's hard to gauge what the OP would want without knowing details. I don't have a bit of issue with wood if it's inside, but I'm not keen on it being exposed to rain no matter how well covered and sealed.

The underbed boxes I'm making are 6mm expanded PVC with 1x18oz FG cloth+epoxy on each side, and 2x11oz carbon for the doors (for stiffness). Stuff like this ends up being ~$15-20 and 1.3 lb/sq ft for the panel, plus paint... and work!
1/2” EPVC (Palight) sheet, painted with Monstaliner. IMG_1939.jpeg
This is a pic from the first build, I don’t have a pic of the newest iteration.

Why did you choose EPVC for your boxes instead of Coosa/PU?

Do you have a build thread yet?

rruff

Explorer
Why did you choose EPVC for your boxes instead of Coosa/PU?
That's a good question! I've never used Coosa, but I think it would be good in this application. I thought it was crazy expensive, but Merritt has decent prices... except they are full sheets, so shipping will be a lot. It's comparable to ply in strength but lighter.

Well... lookie here... I found a place that sells 4x4 sheets of 1/2" BW20 for $137 and shipping is free! Wish I'd bought that instead. Could have saved myself some time, and even $...

rruff

Explorer
Well... that's weird. I went to buy some of that Coosa, and they tacked on $130 for freight (on 4x4?) and $80 for residential delivery. If I bought a 4x8 sheet, there was an additional $400 freight charge. Nope... ends up being ~$14/ sq ft for 3 pieces of 4x4, while the 6mm EPVC is <$5.

This is a little better $412 for 5 2x4 sheets of BW 20 1/2", shipped: https://www.fibreglast.com/viewcart/1

Last edited:

highwest

Well... that's weird. I went to buy some of that Coosa, and they tacked on $130 for freight (on 4x4?) and $80 for residential delivery. If I bought a 4x8 sheet, there was an additional $400 freight charge. Nope... ends up being ~$14/ sq ft for 3 pieces of 4x4, while the 6mm EPVC is <$5.

This is a little better $412 for 5 2x4 sheets of BW 20 1/2", shipped: https://www.fibreglast.com/viewcart/1
Do you have a Composites One near you? I got some Coosa knock off sheets from them when I replaced most of the plywood in our sailboat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179