Can't think of a catchy name but I'm ALL IN now.

dar395

Adventurer
Oh The Name.

After much thought maybe your asking for direct input for the name, take a look at the you tube site above, I think this may be a great name for the great van and the combo of the bikes, gives you a theme song as well.

"Mariah"

Sorry I can't get the link to work, searching Google with "way out here they call the wind" see the you-tube hit.

Last edited:

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
After much thought maybe your asking for direct input for the name, take a look at the you tube site above, I think this may be a great name for the great van and the combo of the bikes, gives you a theme song as well.

"Mariah"

Sorry I can't get the link to work, searching Google with "way out here they call the wind" see the you-tube hit.

I like it! Good song right there! Let me wear it for a while and see how it fits.

Noticed this today....
Super sealant in hand.

Rivnuts are awesome if you have the rivet tool otherwise they're a pain in the *** and take many many turns of the open end spanner. Tool is getting ordered.

It fits beautifully! All plum and parallel with the floor. Proof of concept a success! All the bed and cabinets will bolt to the supports like this. Take out a few bolts and it's out yet might survive a crash when installed.

Now to finish this frame.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
About enough for today. This will get finished out into a reading/sitting/napping area. Top will be hinged and have a full cushion with sliding doors on the front. Ends will be wood inserts. 2 coolers plus a bunch more room for junk underneath. Bottom cross support get bolted to the floor. Going to add an upright in the middle. It's a stout piece.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Dreaming of sitting in a hot spring somewhere. Never been to a hot spring. I want to see death valley.

Thanks again Mwilliamshs!!

The H.S. in mwilliamshs stands for Hot Springs. The nation's first National Park is Hot Springs National Park in central Arkansas. I grew up there. Beautiful area and some GREAT riding and camping close by. Oh, and yes, some hot springs!

Van related: Sounds like you don't need a 110v breaker box. Plug directly into your inverter. More efficient and safer that way. Inverters should installed with fuses on the power feed and most are also equipped with a built-in fuse too and the 110v wiring should be just the microwave's cord (safe and efficient). If you want to run 110v things outside or in wet conditions (rainy campsite, damp metal van, etc) I strongly suggest a GFCI. They're available as plug-ins, just stick one in the inverter and stick your cord in that.

12v wise, you don't have to spend chunks of money on BlueSea stuff. Buss (the fuse company, think yellow tin of fuses in your glovebox) sells very good quality fuse panels from like 4 circuits upto 18 or so. O'Reilly's here locally has a couple in stock and even more in a warehouse that can be in-store in 24 hours. They're available with covers and labels, for glass or ATM/ATO fuses, etc. Lots of good options besides the $$$ marine stuff. My gut tells me most any problem folks ever face in a DIY camper (or the pro stuff!) stem from installation quality and/or neglect, not the components themselves (assuming of course parts are name-brand and/or meet some Industry Standards).

Your steel frame connected to the van's structure looks hella good to me. I would find a way to connect it to the floor and/or connect the bottom of the frame to those wall ribs at a lower point to reduce leverage on those riv-nuts. I've used them a bunch and really like them but they do have a weakness and it's the fatigue resistance of the surrounding metal in my experience. Imagine lifting the upper outside bar of the box you made and you'll see the first place to flex, given that your box is so sturdy, is gonna be the attachments at the wall. My .02. Where there's acces to the backside, like just below your window, I use the largest OD washers that'll fit on the backside to spread that force over a larger area, like a backing washer on a rivet. In blind applications you just have to make the best of it. It really looks like you've got a handle on van fab!

Also riv-nut related, I've made my own automatic riv-nut tool for a cordless drill. Super easy and very fast. I worked at a boat factory that had the real tool (pneumatic, not cordless drill powered) and basically copied it at home, country-boy style. Sorry no pics, I live 80 miles from the shop during the school year. There are two ways to do it. 1) Use a socket-head bolt (aka allen bolt, etc) and just put the appropriate allen bit in your drill. Thread a nut and a riv-nut onto the bolt, hold the nut with a wrench, spin the bolt with the drill, done. 2) Get a bolt that fits your riv-nut threads but has a long unthreaded shoulder. Cut the head off. Run a nut up on the threads till it bottoms out against the shoulder. Thread on a 2 riv-nuts till they bottom out against the nut. Cut off the bolt below the 2nd riv-nut. You're just making the bolt only as long as necessary so it won't dent (or worse) whatever's behind the nut. Don't ask how much it cost me to learn that (hint: you cannot DENT antique stained-glass and boats with stained glass ain't cheap boats and new boats with antique stained glass are owned by peckerheads). It needs to be exactly twice as long as the riv-nut and the flanged-nut, plus a thread or two just in case. Now unscrew the riv-nut until it's just barely hanging on, unscrew the nut down on top of the riv-nut. Chuck the shoulder of the bolt into your drill's chuck just like a drill bit. Nuts with a big serrated flange work good here, put the flange facing away from the drill and it'll help hold the riv-nut and prevent twisting it on the bolt. Thread the riv-nut up against the flange, insert the whole thing into the hole, and press firmly to seat the riv-nut's flange against the wall. Put your open-ended wrench on the nut and get a good grip on it. I do not suggest a box-end wrench here. If it slips from your grip or you squeeze the trigger by accident, it'll be spinning around pretty fast and they hurt. An open-ended wrench will just fall off if you let go. So you're kinda pressing with the wrench and almost pulling with the drill, you'll get a feel for it. Set the clutch down low, put the drill in slow-forward, and squeeze the trigger. Don't let go of the wrench. It's not hard to hold on to, just important that you do. The drill runs the riv-nut up tight, then crimps it just like the manual tool does when the handles are squeezed. Reverse the drill and it'll unscrew, leaving just the bolt (with the nut on it) in the drill and the riv-nut in the wall. Slick'r'n snot as they say! Test the first few with your old bolt and nut method and adjust the drill chuck to get a full crimp. I leave mine set on "drill" and go by feel but it is possible to screw up that way and spin a riv-nut in the hole, making it useless. A little grease on the threads helps crimp easier but only if you aren't going to use threadlocker afterward. (I tend to) I grind 3 flats onto the bolt's shoulder (like the better drill bits have) so the drill chuck grips a little better. After you set a couple riv-nuts you'll have it figured out and you'll know where your drill's clutch needs to be set to get a full crimp on the riv-nut.

Hot tip #2: some JB weld or similar stuff on the OUTSIDE of a riv-nut prior to installation makes for a damn stout attachment once it cures. Likewise, some Silkaflex or what-have-you smeared on the OUTSIDE before installation makes the crimp water-proof. For exterior stuff I like to stick a thin paint brush in the hole with some Por-15 or etching primer on it and paint the whole thing as best as I can.

Last edited:

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
I was, and still am wondering if I should box in the platform to have it support the weight instead of the rivnuts and just have the rivnuts hold it in place. The bottom of this frame will be bolted to the floor and it's pretty rigid so flexing will be minimal. Plus that steel is expensive! I still need 80 more feet to finish just the bed! Then theres 2 cabinets and 2 overheads.

The rivnuts are 3/8-24 which I am finding to be bigger than your average rivnut as I can't find a tool. This is the one I wanted.

It's 100 bucks though so your tips will come in quite handy. I could step down to 1/4-20 but I like the bigger bolts.

I think I still have por-15 on my hands from the last time I used it 5 years ago. Ya it's good stuff! I use etch primer on fresh metal and por-15 on rust. Por-15 loves the rust.

Thanks again for the help!

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Yeah 1/4-20 gives up over 4 times easier than 1/2-13 in both shear and tensile tests, regardless of grade, assuming they're the same (2 vs 2, 5 vs 5, etc) and given the clamping area of the riv-nuts is the weak point, bigger is better. For 3/8" or 1/2" I'd probably use the allen bolt and a cordless impact driver. Those are pretty stiff. Another tip I've used, especially working overhead, is a hot glue gun or dab of super glue to hold the riv nut in the hole, then thread in the bolt using the drill and wrench.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
This thing is part of the van. Rock solid.

The middle vertical is set back to allow for sliding doors, which I know nothing about....nice thing about steel is i can drill and tap trim and stuff right to it.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
For anyone following along, DO NOT buy steel from Lowes. Holy smokes! I didn't look up prices Saturday when I bought some. I was just trying to find some and all the steel shops were closed so it was Lowes. 300% markup over a steel vendor!! Got the rest ordered today and hopefully more progress this weekend.

86scotty

Cynic
No, never. Glad you figured that out before you bought very much. Always find a good local steel place. They are super helpful anyway. The guys at my local steel shop always help me with my projects, and they usually have a lot of scrap they will give or sell cheap too for various small projects.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Ready to plunk down for a isolater. I know to stay away from diode isolators but how do I check my alternators amp output? I believe it's the stock unit.
Looking at a Blue sea ACR.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I'd go to rockauto and find the highest rated alternator available as OE on your van and buy the appropriate ACR because either you already have that alternator or you'll likely upgrade to it eventually.

maelgwn

Blue Sea ACR looks like a good choice. You could save a few bucks with a continuous duty solenoid but the ACR allows charging from sources other than the alternator in a straightforward way (e.g. solar panel or battery charger).

Most people don't bother measuring output from their alternators, they just install the dual battery system and maybe sometimes measure the voltages or just ignore it if it works.

To measure the alternators output you need an ammeter of some sort - probable a clamp ammeter is the way to go.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Measuring is a good idea I guess but only if you're really going to measure with a big load (dead battery) and the engine revved up to about 4k. That rpm is a guess, better to connect your ammeter, start at idle, and rev till the amperage stops climbing. Otherwise you'll not be measuring the alternator at its peak and could undersize components unintentionally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven