Can't think of a catchy name but I'm ALL IN now.

350outrage

Adventurer
For anyone following along, DO NOT buy steel from Lowes. Holy smokes! I didn't look up prices Saturday when I bought some. I was just trying to find some and all the steel shops were closed so it was Lowes. 300% markup over a steel vendor!! Got the rest ordered today and hopefully more progress this weekend.

Go to steel yard and ask to look through their "scrap" pile. This is not junk. Typically, its just new stuff that was left off after cutting an order, etc. They usually sell it by the pound, really cheap. Lowes sucks for steel!

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
17 degrees this morning made for a slooow start to the day. I did make a little progress though. Passenger side bed/dinette frame almost done.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Measure 37 times, cut once.

There will be a removable section over the walkway that completes the bed or raises up to a small table for 4.

Had to get creative on this bracket.

Next project will be to clean out the garage to fit the bikes and still have workspace.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The bracket that required creativity needs another attachment perpendicular to the one it has. Bolt going kinda vertical needs one totally horizontal. Maybe just below the tubing? Looks great otherwise and you didn't ask for my input so disregard it if u want and we'll still be friends.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
It's rock solid I tell ya!
When we come for a tour of the hot springs I'll let you jump up and down on it. :)

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I believe you. Thinking of the way weight on the bench will be applied to the riv-nut and it looks like it could be a twisting motion along that angled body brace. Not good for a riv-nut. Also the whole box is being held in place horizontally by upper bolts (through body ribs and braces) and vertically by lower bolts (through floor) except that one corner (both vertical) from what I can see. So it's fine I'm sure but "one leak is all it takes" is another way of looking at things. Like I said, your van, my opinions, neither costs the other anything LOL come on down!

Bronco bobby

Observer
Nice work. I have just purchased 80 feet of 1" square tubing to do about the same thing. Storage on sides, with a removable bulkhead and table top to allow a walkway or for lengthy storage needs. I haven't yet began cutting metal. I keep redrawing and changing the design ever so slightly.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
I offset my walkway because on the drivers side there will be an overhead cabinet. Blankets and pillows and the cushion from the walkway section will go under the cabinet and make a backrest for that side of the dinette. I can fit a 24" wide folding table under the drivers side. I also wanted room to haul longer stuff or maybe a couple bicycles.

It took me a while to finally put the plan in motion. Hope we like it!

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Got the garage cleaned up a bit.
Ordered sliding door track.
Here's what I did yesterday.....srsly?...
Got that ordered too.

Got the bed frame all done. Just got to add some trim tabs.

I used U bolts to shelf the table in the bed frames and they double as hitch points for bicycles or whatever. The center section is 2 sections because one made the table too long.

I hope to be cutting wood tomorrow.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
This battery is 6 years old but has seen VERY little use. Has probably sat dead for a while. Think it has some life left in it?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I see you already have a charger connected so it may be too late for this. If you charge it with a desulfating charger (just a mode on some, even seen them at walmart) and check the water in it (adding deionized is preferred, but distilled is good too) it might bounce back. I'd charge it at high current (my charger has "30A Rapid") then on the "Restoration" setting (aka equalization, desulfation) of 15.5v and check the cells with a hydrometer. A hydrometer is the best indication of a battery's state of charge and you also want the cells to be balanced with one another after the equalization. What you want to accomplish here is to get the battery's guts hot to clean the lead plates off. I would expect its overall life and recovery performance to be diminished but it should still work to an extent. If it gets recharged and appears healthy I'd exercise it a little by discharging and recharging day after day for a couple days. On my boat's trolling batteries I find it helps to run them down maybe 20% at the beginning of the season (after being on a tender all winter) then charge them again as opposed to a normal trip which is about 60% discharge then recharge. That 20% trip seems to take about as much charging as the 60% but if I run them to 60% the first time out they don't always come back. Weird but true. So long as I stick to this little regimen I've gotten 5 years of EverStart Marine batteries just like you pictured and that 60% discharge is really not the best treatment for them so I've been satisfied.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
It says it charged.
I guess my real question is, I want 2 house batteries. Would you buy one just like it for the pair or just start over with 2 fresh. It was full of water. I'd guess it's been charged maybe 4 times in its life.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
If the cells were balanced and it charged fully and I used it to 50% a few times and it charged again and seemed healthy I'd run it and buy a twin. If it failed any of that I'd buy 2 golf cart batteries.

Using a battery charger to judge a battery's charge is like using a politician to tell you if they're doing a good job. Get a hydrometer for like $5 and you'll know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven