Cash For Clunkers Destroyed 2 NAS D110s!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
oh well. just a car, right?

I'll bet current owners are stoked. Drive up the value due to
decreased availability...

tacomadave

Adventurer
It says at the top, "as submitted not necessarily reviewed or approved"

I doubt a dealership would take a vehicle worth $20k + and take it at a value of $4500 or whatever the cash for clunkers price is.

Interesting list though, seems its mostly Ford Explorers getting the axe.

lwg

So sad to see so many cars crushed. Seems like they would serve a better purpose and be greener just by going to the junkyards.

They crushed about 70 '95 Range Rovers... And lets not forget about all those minivans. :clapsmile Hopefully some folks got their "mancards" back for this.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Are vehicle values in the US that low? I saw somewhere else like, a few fine looking D2's, and even a Mercedes SUV of some sort were traded in for C4C. I don't get it. $4500 for a used MB? I think they could have sold it for more up here.

And lets not forget about all those minivans. Hopefully some folks got their "mancards" back for this

Pffft! Yeah, I don't have a problem driving the wife's minivan. 240hp, it's the most powerful car I've bought. And I don't have anything to prove by driving a Mall Terrain Vehicle.

Legend has it ;) that the Windstar engineers challenged the Mustang (V6) engineers to a race at Dearborn Proving Grounds handling track. The Windstar won.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Have you guys seen firsthand what some of these clunkers looked like when they made it to the dealer? Heavy rust, thrashed interior, broken components. Its had to compare the book value of a 'good' condition vehcile with that of a barely running clunker eligible.

kjp1969

Explorer
That's nuts.
Other notable cars on that list...
Aston Martin DB7 Volante, a nice selection of Audis & BMWs,
and pimps everywhere are struggling with the loss of the fine Excalibur Autos 1987 Phaeton

Perhaps the greatest loss to the overlanding community are the volumes of 2nd gen Isuzu Amigos tough.:sombrero:

There is no way in hell a '97 Aston was crushed for $4500. I refuse to believe it.

James86004

Expedition Leader
From another list I haunt:

One of my buddies got about 40 of the clunkers in his yard. He was required to remove anything that was bolted on... ancillaries, body panels, interiors, etc... and then the frame/engine had to be cut into threes and sent to a metal recycler. He said there was a ton of paperwork on every car. He was quite disgusted with having to cut up a few of them.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Have you guys seen firsthand what some of these clunkers looked like when they made it to the dealer? Heavy rust, thrashed interior, broken components. Its had to compare the book value of a 'good' condition vehcile with that of a barely running clunker eligible.

That's what I'm hoping. But, from what I saw it sure didn't look that way.

There was an interesting thread on Dweb about a guy gutting a Discovery before dropping it off. It was pretty funny what they took off. They only had to be able to drive 1/4 mile to the dealership under their own power... :wings:

troy

Adventurer
This is not the case. Full bodied cars with full bodied motors are making their way to our wrecking yards. There was no provision to cut the frames as I recall.

My local U-pull-it has recieved about 30 jeeps from the program. I'm headed there this weekend to pick up rear discs for my cherokee.

lake_bueller

Observer
There has to be a way to find which dealers took some of these vehicles in trade. I'd love to track down one of those 110's. Even if I had to replace the motor, it's worth the effort.

Now if I could only find a way to hack the system....:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater