Cash For Clunkers Destroyed 2 NAS D110s!

James86004

Expedition Leader
Oh really? That would make a lot more sense then.

I hate dealing with the trade in. The price they give you is so pathetic. The last new car I bought, I just decided to sell the old car myself. It's still sitting on my driveway almost a year later. :(

I have an acquaintance in the business. The trade in value versus what he turns around and sells them for is amazing. For instance, a 5 year old Volvo he got traded in for $3000, then turned around and sold it for $13,000.

Willman

To clarify - the dealer was not allowed to offer anything more than scrap value for the vehicle itself (usually $400-$500) but you could still negotiate on the new car and take advantage of any manufacturer rebates like normal.

Also - the cars do not get crushed, but the engines do get disabled by running salt water through them until they freeze up.

Interesting....one of the local scrap yards is trying to get some business from this CFC deal...

Attention Auto Dealers! Western Metals Recycling is your solution for proper disposal of "Cash for Clunkers" trade-in vehicles.

http://www.wmrecycling.com/index.aspx

Scraping cars don't pay that much....We have been getting around $50-$125 depending on the vehicle.

:costumed-smiley-007

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have an acquaintance in the business. The trade in value versus what he turns around and sells them for is amazing. For instance, a 5 year old Volvo he got traded in for $3000, then turned around and sold it for $13,000.

Oh, I know. It was a 2003 Focus Wagon. Trade in value would probably be $2000, but I know I could get $4-6000 selling it. Of course, not kidding, the day we picked up the new car, the Focus blew a CV joint, and I've been dicking around with it ever since. Took me a while to fix the CV, then the wheel bearings. The rotors rusted badly while it sat... :(

I think it'll end up being a winter beater so I don't have to drive the Rover.

Anyway...

James86004

Expedition Leader
Also - the cars do not get crushed, but the engines do get disabled by running salt water through them until they freeze up.

From http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/July27PR.pdf

Vehicles are required to be shredded or crushed within 6 months. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles can sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train (unless the drive train, the transmission, drive shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts).

The point of my original post is I can't imagine a 1993 D110 being worth less than $4500. Even if all that is worth keeping is the VIN plate and the title. It is the only 110 you won't have trouble registering and using in all areas of all 50 states.

GYM

Adventurer
Even more sickening was a Buick GNX was turned in. A freakin' GNX! One of 547 made. A GNX!

That is a tragedy.
I wonder if it really was a 1 of 547 GNX or just a regular Grand National (or even a Turbo Regal.)

It would be interesting to know the VIN's on the C4C'd Buick GNX (and the Rover 110's).

HINO SG

Adventurer
Just got back from my local U-Pull, dozens of Clunkers, no restrictions on what was up for grabs.

This yard keeps everything 2000-up for themselves, so not much exciting. Couple of 1st. Gen. 4Runners, a VW Quantum Syncro, etc..

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Sounds kinda like a bad survey to me. I dunno... I would never say that I'd drive a new car more just because it's new. I've never put off trips just because a car was old. When I get a new car, it goes to all the same places the old one does. My office doesn't suddenly move further away when I get a new car.

The other big thing that ignores when it talks about saddling people with debt, is the fact that everybody who bought a new car should get 3 to 5 years of repair-free motoring. NEVER undererstimate the cost of keeping an older car on the road. I'm the only one in my family who can fix my own car, and it blows my mind to hear what my brother and sister pay to have their cars fixed. I honestly don't know why they would ever keep a car out of warranty.

bovw

Explorer
Our scrapyard is crushing them and are not allowing anything to be removed before doing so. I know of at least 3 Rovers crushed with good parts that a buddy and I tried to get and were refused. Wouldn't even let me swap a ripped seat for a good one with me doing the work.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Our scrapyard is crushing them and are not allowing anything to be removed before doing so. I know of at least 3 Rovers crushed with good parts that a buddy and I tried to get and were refused. Wouldn't even let me swap a ripped seat for a good one with me doing the work.

Weird - Pick-N-Pull is full of C4C cars, and they even have a sign at the door saying which parts (engine, mainly) you can't take. I think this is a problem of individual interpretation of the rules, and your local scrapyard is screwing themselves out of a lot of money.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Weird - Pick-N-Pull is full of C4C cars, and they even have a sign at the door saying which parts (engine, mainly) you can't take. I think this is a problem of individual interpretation of the rules, and your local scrapyard is screwing themselves out of a lot of money.
Sounds more like they are just being really careful not to run afoul of federal fines. The law clearly says the clunker has to be crushed or shredded within 180 days. Could be that it's not worth the risk to some for the vehicle to inadvertently remain in inventory longer than is legal. Not that I really think the feds are going to be staking out junk yards.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Ah, that makes more sense... And at least at my PnP, cars last about 2 weeks before they disappear to make room for fresh stock.

galen216

Adventurer

The place here in Cville?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater