CB Radio ideas

AdvisorX

Observer
Nice antenna mount! I just ordered my loadwarrior basket! Who do you guys recommend for ordering the cb and componets for install or could I go somewhere local? Im in Acworth Ga......(radio shack, best buy).....

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have been using COBRAs for quite a few years and always had them in the overhead/w Firestix antennas

In my Xterra

IMGP0477.jpg

In my JK Cobra 29 LTD" Bluetooth"

PICT0017.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:costumed-smiley-007 JIMBO

soonenough

Explorer
Who do you guys recommend for ordering the cb and componets for install or could I go somewhere local? Im in Acworth Ga......(radio shack, best buy).....
I've ordered from Walcott CB before with good results. They seem to be reasonably priced and have good customer service. I'd also check Amazon for larger things like the radio itself; they're very competitive on price and usually have free shipping.

As for local places, good luck with Best Buy. Radio shack has a decent selection on their website (both the Cobra 75WXST and Midland 75-822 are on there), but who knows how much of it is actually in the store. If you're near an interstate, check out a truck stop. They usually have a really good selection of parts (antennas, mounts, springs, connectors, etc) but may be somewhat hit-or-miss as far as the radio goes since you're not looking at one of the high-end radios that truckers typically use.

Also, do some research to see if there's a CB shop anywhere near you. I actually bought my radio at a local CB shop in Dallas that's been there since the 70's; they've branched out into car stereo, etc, but still do a lot of CBs. The best part about a place like that is you can often haggle with them on the price.

Lastly, for coax and connectors, look for a local ham radio shop. The types of coax used for CBs and ham radios are often the same, so they may be able to help you. When I was trying to find a threaded bulkhead female-female SO-239 connector, I looked everywhere, and finally found one at a local ham radio shop. Plus, the people there will be WAY more knowledgable on these sorts of things than people at Radio Shack and truck stops.

Last edited:

alexrex20

Explorer
i bought everything from Amazon.com. it was all incredibly cheap, like a $50 antenna for $18, the $20 spring mount for $8, and the radio itself was $80 compared to $200.

i'm using a Uniden Pro520XL compact radio, and it fits perfectly in the factory location for auxiliary switches on my Pathfinder; with a Firestik-II antenna mounted on the hood channel driver's side.

total investment is <$150 and i have a great setup. i too only use it occasionally, while out on the trails and sometimes on the highway.

DSC08379.jpg

DSC08546.jpg

AdvisorX

Observer
:iagree: Okay... Man I have got to get use to my new truck in the woods. Switching over to a manual trans is a bit more challenging than I thought. Also the Xterra has a good bit more torgue and power than I expected!

Last edited:

RonapRhys

Adventurer
:iagree: Okay... Man I have got to get use to my new truck in the woods. Switching over to a manual trans is a bit more challenging than I thought. Also the Xterra has a good bit more torgue and power than I expected!

Not that my fooling around represents the pinnacle of what an X can do, but we recently went to a place called JeepSkool - here are a few pics of us having some fun in two different X's. The Desert Stone one is my 07 OR, the White is a buddy with an SE Auto. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27853&page=7

Probably best to ignore our goofin' on each other prior to that, but page 7 starts with the pics. If you've not heard of the site, it's a great place to get info on the Gen2 Xterras - mods, trips, etc. Less expedition and more off-roading focused, so take it for what it's worth.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
A good CB should be a required piece of trail gear if you wheel with others. Nothing worse than 10 rigs with only 6 CB's and 4 of them sounding like worthless crap. Rigs get lost or stuck and the group gets fustrated due to lack of clean comunication.
I use a General Lee radio which is one of the most popular truckers radios. It's a 10 meter radio with the CB band added. All they do is cut a jumper and it's a CB and 10 meter. I never use the 10 meter band only CB. It puts out clean and strong and sounds greats. The 4 watts from a stock radio is worthless static in most cases. Any quality CB shop will sell you a tuned radio or tune one you have. If you are buying new then spend an extra hundred bucks on a real radio and antenna and give the others you are trying to comunicate a break by providing a clean signal. You spend double on a real radio but get 10 times better sound. Myself and others in 4wd clubs like Sparky. He is a No BS guy who will only sell you what you need. Get your antenna and mount from him also and install a radio that will do what you want. Comunicate. Ask for Sparky and yes his voice is funny but trust him.
http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/catalog/item/6231095/7809378.htm

alexrex20

Explorer
If you are buying new then spend an extra hundred bucks on a real radio and antenna and give the others you are trying to comunicate a break by providing a clean signal.

my $150 investment (for everything) comes through clean and crystal clear to whomever i'm speaking with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner