Central Overland Needs a new video camera!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
While the flip cameras have served us well on several trips now, we are really hurting for a camera that can both take longer shots and one that has an optical zoom. Additional requirements are image stabilization and easily transferrable digital memory. The camera must shoot in HD quality. Of course budget should be a consideration... I'm basically looking for the most cost effective platform that meets these requirements.

Thoughts?

Paladin

Banned
Well, what is the budget?

IMO, you can't get *quality* HD for less than about $1000.

Here's my Sony XR500V, looks even better when it hasn't been YouTube-ized. My friend Kevin running an Endurocross at the Corduroy Enduro, this was run *after* doing 100 hard off-road miles earlier that day.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaBUJQ7yedo"]YouTube - 20100918154920.wmv[/ame]

The Sony XmorR sensor is really great in low-light. I've got beautiful video of my son at night lit only by the light from fireworks. Can't get that from a cheap camera. The XmorR sensor is now available on most of the lower end Sony camcorders, but I don't think the performance is the same on the lower end vs. their prosumer stuff.

For that money, you could definitely get into an HD-video capable SLR. But, a real camcorder still has some advantages.

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
Great performance from a non-DSLR video cam

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-G10-Camcorder-Internal-Memory/dp/B004HW7DZM"]Amazon.com: Canon VIXIA HF G10 Full HD Camcorder with HD CMOS Pro and 32GB Internal Flash Memory: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Scott Brady

Founder
Get one of the VIXIA units if you are wanting a dedicated HDV. If you are looking for something that shoots stills too, check out the Canon T3i

Good luck!

greg mgm

Explorer
Hopefully this isn't taken as a hijack, but wanted to ask about vid cameras also. I was looking at the Canon cam in Ywen's link (Vixia HF G10) and wondered what would be the main differences between that and a Canon T3i (Like Scott mentioned) I mean besides the obvious removable lens on the T3i. Both use a CMOS sensor. Both shoot 1920 x 1080. Both use SD cards. Both probably shoot very nice video. The gap between using a DSLR and vid cam seems very close. I'd love to hear opinions on the differences between the two.

Edit- Which cam could produce better bokeh? (depth of field blur)

Last edited:

dirtman13

I've been very happy with my Canon HF s200. Pictures are crisp. Has a lot of advanced features and is priced right. Price has gone up. I paid $699 for mine. Also takes 8MP stills.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HF-S200-Camcorder-Control/dp/B00322OOXM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305237097&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Canon VIXIA HF S200 Full HD Flash Memory Camcorder & Pro Manual Control: Electronics[/ame]

ywen

Explorer
Hopefully this isn't taken as a hijack, but wanted to ask about vid cameras also. I was looking at the Canon cam in Ywen's link (Vixia HF G10) and wondered what would be the main differences between that and a Canon T3i (Like Scott mentioned) I mean besides the obvious removable lens on the T3i. Both use a CMOS sensor. Both shoot 1920 x 1080. Both use SD cards. Both probably shoot very nice video. The gap between using a DSLR and vid cam seems very close. I'd love to hear opinions on the differences between the two.

Edit- Which cam could produce better bokeh? (depth of field blur)

A DSLR camera will provide you with the fullest creative potential in the imaging department at the cost of ease of use.

The vixia cam I linked has an AF system that can not be matched on the DSLR side.

It has a 10x zoom, where if was matched on the DSLR side would mean a large & heavy lens.

The vixia has a small sensor with large DOF. This has the advantage that more objects will be in focus and the operator do not have to constantly track focus. If shallow DOF is not desired, a small sensor camera would be preferable for this reason.

The vixia is more ergonomical than most DSLR solutions out there today.

Paladin

Banned
Agree. I believe the DSLR's still won't autofocus while shooting? What about zoom while shooting? Aperture? Image Stabilization?

The Canon Vixias are nice, frankly the top line from Canon, Panasonic and Sony are pretty comparable. Each of them have the edge in different places. I think some of the image performance of the Canon is better than Sony, but Sony's image stabilization is better.

Really, whichever way you go, amongst the top of the line cameras, optical clarity will be much better than what can be conveyed via YouTube, or even broadcast TV. Unless you're making BluRay movies, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Features, ergonomics, etc. are probably more important.

I think DSLR's give you much better artistic control for "film making", but a camcorder is just a much easier way to casually shoot video.

If you buy a camcorder, make sure it has a filter thread on the front! A lot of mid-range camcorders don't.

DrMoab

Explorer
The newest high end DSLR cameras will auto focus while shooting...at least Nikons will. Not sure about Canon.

ywen

Explorer
The newest high end DSLR cameras will auto focus while shooting...at least Nikons will. Not sure about Canon.

Canons has autofocus in video mode, so does my m4/3 camera.

It's just that the AF performance is so poor in video mode that MF is preferred.. the camera software + hardware is simply not made for the type of AF that is required for video. Nikon will be the same in this regard

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
It's as ywen has said. Autofocus while in shooting video on a DSLR is a bit of a bad joke, it sucks. It's generally acknowledged that Panasonic has the best AF while shooting video on a stills camera, but it's not stellar. IMO Nikon shouldn't have even bothered adding it to their current cameras its that badly implemented. DSLR's are still primarily designed for photos, video plays second fiddle. The quality of the video coming out of the newest DSLR's is good, but actually using a DSLR for video requires more planning, patience, and forethought. If you're looking for one camera to do both video and stills, then a DSLR is a nice option, but if my only interest was shooting video, I'd choose a machine designed for video. ...and this is coming from someone who bought a D7000 for video.

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
but if my only interest was shooting video, I'd choose a machine designed for video. ...and this is coming from someone who bought a D7000 for video.

I'd like to add that if the OP's desire is to only shoot video AND explore the full creative potential of video, then the DSLR is the only option.

However, seeing how the OP had been using a flip cam, I assume a handycam like the vixia is most suited.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Thanks for the replies, gents.

Another question... thoughts on this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-HV40-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B001OI2Z4Q/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305573855&sr=1-13"]Amazon.com: Canon VIXIA HV40 HD HDV Camcorder w/10x Optical Zoom - 2009 MODEL: Electronics

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
do a search of that model number on VIMEO.com and see what work ppl are putting out with the cam..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal