Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

Smksignals

Explorer
Yes !! Doing the happy dance here !! :wings:

After weeks of checking Compact Appliance multiple times daily at the open box section for this fridge, I finally got one !! $349.00 shipped. Cant wait for it to get here. Thanks for all the heads up on this thread !!

- Kurt T.

HB 4X4

Adventurer
Yes !! Doing the happy dance here !! :wings:

After weeks of checking Compact Appliance multiple times daily at the open box section for this fridge, I finally got one !! $349.00 shipped. Cant wait for it to get here. Thanks for all the heads up on this thread !!

- Kurt T.

I think it should have been less than that for open-box. Did you use the code: EDGEFRZ50? The code works for open-box too.

Maybe it doesn't work anymore. I haven't tried for a few weeks since I already got my ARB, but it was $289 or something the last time I checked for an open-box.

Smksignals

Explorer
I think it should have been less than that for open-box. Did you use the code: EDGEFRZ50? The code works for open-box too.

Maybe it doesn't work anymore. I haven't tried for a few weeks since I already got my ARB, but it was $289 or something the last time I checked for an open-box.

No, it didn't enter my mind, nor did I have a code ready... When I saw it in the clearance section I went into panic mode and blazed through the online order to make sure I got it. The price listed was $349.00. I am happy with that. I think its a fair price. I know the ARB's are nice, but it's tough forking out $700.00 + dollars.

roninjiro

Explorer
grr... ya beat me too it.... i had a feeling to look here to see who bought it. ah well, i will keep watching it, but i will be quicker next time. and btw the code is no good anymore incase anyone is wondering.

photo.jpg

REVIEW/UPDATE:

Okay, it's been close to six months since I made my purchase on the model FP430 from Compact Appliance, and here are my thoughts:

Firstly, I don't know why I didn't get a fridge much sooner! Coolers suck, and I'll never go back. Seriously, if you have never owned a fridge, get one asap. You will not regret it.

So since July, I've put close to 10,000 miles on my truck with the fridge in it, with hundreds of those being off-highway. I have run dusty washboards too fast, jumped railroad crossings (love my new suspension!), pounded through Ozark mudholes, and crawled high-angle granite steps in CO.

The fridge has seen beers freeze and explode, a huge tub of salsa dump out, and it's had my two labs snuggle up to it to stay warm for an unknown number of evenings (i.e. blocked air vents and countless dog hairs getting sucked into the fan).

For several months in a hot southern summer/early fall, it was running 24/7 on a single 530CCA Advance Auto bargain battery. It did this while competing for power against aux driving, side floods, rear backup, and camper interior lights, an always-on GPS, and a 600watt stereo system, not to mention the factory standard electrical loads... I never has so much as a slow crank from the thing, and sometimes I left my Taco parked for days on end during Army duties. My Scan Gauge has never dropped below 11.8v in my memory. (Now, with dual high-quality batteries, I don't anticipate any problem. Ever.)

I can confirm that the temp displays shows a number which is 5-7* warmer than the fridge actually is. My wireless Engel thermometer states accurately. Be advised, if you don't want your beers to explode, too, then you might want to set your Edge Star in the 40-42* range.

Gripe: I don't like the factory 12v plug at all. I broke mine off in the hole on the first outing with the fridge. I have since upgraded to a better marine-grade plug I bought at Radio Shack and soldered/hardwired new connections. (This is easy, as the entire panel comes off the fridge with only a few screws.) Now it's solid as a rock and can take add'l punishment without the fear of another broken power connection.

Oh, and it's dented, scratched, and tattooed. (So it looks cool as hell!)

Folks, I can't make the thing stop working. I love it, and if I had to do it again, I would not hesitate to save a few hundred bucks over the Engel or ARB.... and put that money into fuel.

Then I'd leave town with a full load of cold beer and salsa. :costumed-smiley-007

My $.02

Last edited:

roadkill

Adventurer
well mine crapped out on me. it's had constant use since I bought it. it started displaying low battery (with both 12v and 120v) and no compressor but the display still worked. called CS and they had me diagnose the voltage on it. I confirmed that the compressor is getting the same voltage as the 12 volt cord had and I needed a transformer (the box on the compressor). they sent me the power supply instead. so I swapped it out just in case with no luck. they then wanted me to ship it back.

well I didn't have the original box and the UPS store wanted $135 to pack it and ship it. I decided to box it myself (after buying a large box and styrofoam nuts) and I guess they didn't like the way it was boxed up as the package was refused and is now on its way back to me. in their defense the return instructions did say to use original box or have it professionally double boxed or they may refuse the package. I'm awaiting an email response as to why they refused the shipment but I suspect i already know the answer. now I guess I'll have to drive to austin to drop it off as its cheaper than shipping for me.

the sad thing is after paying them a flat fee of $75 for labor and return shipping, the packaging to ship it plus the shipping, and now more shipping or fuel to take it in person I could of had a "name brand" fridge.

roadkill

Adventurer
update: my fridge did come back to me with a comment on the label as being refused. In my emails with Compact Appliance I asked if it had been refused due to not being packaged properly (double boxed in original packaging as they suggested) as I did not want to send it back again only to have the same results. Compact Appliance's customer service checked with their warehouse manager and no shipments were refused the day mine was to have arrived and they thought mine may have been addressed wrong. I double checked and it was not. I do not know what happened with my package in Austin but CA did send me a prepaid label to ship it back to them a second time. I was highly impressed with that.

The fridge reached them a second time successfully. I emailed them again after 2 days went by to check on the status of my claim as I was told they average a 1-2 day turnaround on repairs, this was on Friday. On Monday I had an email that they couldn't replicate my problem and were still working on it. I was kinda surprised as my problem (low battery indicator and fridge not working other than display) had been really easy to duplicate as it did this every time I plugged it in (either 120v or 12v).

Yesterday I recieved an email that my fridge had been shipped. Today I get home and open up the box and find a NEW fridge. Because I live so close to Austin I have next service at regular rates. The service from Compact Appliance is top notch. The phone lines can get a little busy but they answer their emails generally same day within hours and have been very upfront with me through out the whole warranty process. I never expected to get a prepaid label to resend the fridge. I was told I would get a new fridge if they couldn't fix the old one but never expected a new one to show up at my doorstep so quickly. Based on my dealings with Compact Appliance and warranty I would not hesitate to buy another Edgestar fridge from them again.

ExpoMike

That is great info to know about their customer service. I know we added the 5 year warranty to ours and I had talked to them via their live chat, asking about if we had to ship it back. They recommended hanging onto the original boxes, so I have. I just need to clear out some room in the top of the garage to store it and hope I never need it. It is nice to know they sound like they will take care of things and fairly quickly.

I know we sure love ours and can't imagine going back to a cooler and ice.

08whitex

Adventurer
I just received an email from Compactappliance.com with a 20 dollar off offer good for today and tomorrow only. The coupon code is 2DAYS. It will get you 20 dollars of any order over 75 dollars

roadkill

Adventurer
compact appliance also has free shipping, free tax and free returns till Dec 18 and has the FP430 fridge 10% off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach