Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

4x4x4doors

Explorer

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I didn't check this thread before but had asked about possible sources for the 12 vdc cord on mine as well over at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83179-wanted-Edgestar-43-12-volt-cord

If you don't want to follow that link, here is a source: http://www.amazon.com/FIGURE-NOTEBOOK-PRINTER-SCANNER-BARCODE/dp/B0050OEKQ6?tag=5336653594-20

And here is a link to the wikipedia on identifying the various plugs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C7.2FC8_coupler

OMG you sir are awesome.I love that wiki link you posted. great input!

austintaco

Explorer
Hey Brass,

I popped over to this thread, thinking that this was the fridge. I am on the fence. I had it in my basket with the warranty, ready to fill out the paperwork.

I am going to sleep on it. Anyone have a link or advice on going from a cooler to a fridge? We currently use a Coleman 58 qt xtreme cooler, but without the ice, I am thinking that 43 qt will be more than enough. thoughts?

Well I think with 43 qts it'll be enough without the wasted space of the ice. Pretty excited to get the fridge. I convinced my wife it was my birthday present, and we can bring ice cream and champagne.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Hey Brass,

I popped over to this thread, thinking that this was the fridge. I am on the fence. I had it in my basket with the warranty, ready to fill out the paperwork.

I am going to sleep on it. Anyone have a link or advice on going from a cooler to a fridge? We currently use a Coleman 58 qt xtreme cooler, but without the ice, I am thinking that 43 qt will be more than enough. thoughts?

It's possible I could've mentioned it earlier, but this thing is like 1039 posts long now and is probably long buried lol... :Wow1:

I used to occasionally bring a huge Coleman 110 qt cooler on longer trips (fully-packed). Since getting my 43qt fridge, I've usually had room to spare with the only exception being room for stuff like 32oz Gatorade bottles and of course the whole case of beer or soft drinks (instead I just keep a smaller number of them in the unit at a time as I drink them). All the perishables (meat, milk, lunchmeat, cheese, fruit, etc.) I used to pack in that cooler fits in my Edgestar no problem without all the ice & so many drinks taking up so much room (I now have more room in my vehicle too).

If you remove the small basket inside, a carton of eggs (or two, or three) fits up top there perfect as if it were made for it (well except for cartons of jumbo size eggs though). Enough room still left up there for a few packages of bacon & other stuff too. :cool:

austintaco

Explorer
Thanks for the input. I did it. It's on its way, and since I am in Austin, it should be a quick trip to my doorstep...now I need dual batteries. The fun never ends.

orionkhan

Adventurer
I recently picked up a used Edgestar 63qt from a guy over on MUD. I can pretty much echo the issue with the 12v and the need for a decent size wire to the plug. The PO of my rig had installed a couple of aux plugs in the back. He used 10ga wire to a fuse panel back there. But from the fuse box to the plug was a short stretch of 18ga wire. No bueno for this fridge. It would turn on, but the compressor would not kick on. I switched the 18ga portion to 12ga and the fridge fired up just fine. Additionally, on my '07 Yukon XL, the aux plug in the back was run with 18ga wire. I ran some 12g and installed another plug. It runs as it should with the new plug. Running great so far.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Regarding the current surge when compressor kicks in:
At home, running off 110 VAC (outdoor) wallplug, my Edgestar 43qt will trip a 15A breaker -- one that is NOT tripped when I use a 1,500 W heating element in the same outlet...go figure. Definitely a big surge when the compressor kicks in.

General Automag

Adventurer
IS THERE A CHEAP FRIDGE FOR &lt;$400 OUT THERE, SHIPPED ?

After reading through all of these posts, I've determined that there aren't really any good fridges out there priced less than $400 shipped. I haven't seen any in that category unless they are "scratch and dent" models or second-hand sales. So...

We went with a 50L/52qt "Ice Cube" fridge/freezer from IronMan4x4.com with the cover or case. Thanks to all of the information from the posts here, we're happy with the Danfoss compressor and 3/5 year warranty. It was over $700 but not as much as the Engel or ARB models. IronMan4x4 is trying to break into the US market with their products, so we were happy to be their test subjects due to the better pricing and warranty. So far, the model has performed flawlessly after being plugged in both AC and DC modes for almost two months.

Attachments

• fridgefreezer.jpg
    fridgefreezer.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 9

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Is there a reason you went with the Ironman rather than the Truckfridge/IndelB? As far as I can tell they are identical and the Truckfridge/IndelB TF51 can be had for $499. Or is there a difference or a vendor issue?

I own an Edgestar and can't complain. But if I was buying today, I would be inclined to get the Truckfridge/IndelB. It seems to hit closer to the cost/quality that I would target.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk