Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

General Automag

Adventurer
Is there a reason you went with the Ironman rather than the Truckfridge/IndelB? As far as I can tell they are identical and the Truckfridge/IndelB TF51 can be had for $499. Or is there a difference or a vendor issue?

I own an Edgestar and can't complain. But if I was buying today, I would be inclined to get the Truckfridge/IndelB. It seems to hit closer to the cost/quality that I would target.

We got the IronMan4x4 fridge because they offer a better warranty, and since our Toyota and Land Cruiser shop orders A LOT of other parts from them, I have no doubts that we would get quick and proper service on the unit if needed. The price we paid included the insulating case/cover.

The TruckFridge units look to be the same, and if they indeed are, then they should perform well. They are selling a lot of these to truckers, hence the name. That's a completely different market from the overlanding/camping crowd, so I would guess that there are a lot of posts about that brand on the various trucker forums.

ttn333

Observer
Well my scratch and dent edgestar just crapped out. Picked it up last december for about $300. I'm now mulling over sending it in for repair or just bite the bullet and get an engel (like I should have from the start). I swear, every time I try to cheap out on something, I get to buy it again.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and shipped it back. Cost a little over $100 for fedex to box and ship. Edgestar sent me a new one in return. I'm happy again. :)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
We got the IronMan4x4 fridge because they offer a better warranty, and since our Toyota and Land Cruiser shop orders A LOT of other parts from them, I have no doubts that we would get quick and proper service on the unit if needed. The price we paid included the insulating case/cover.

The TruckFridge units look to be the same, and if they indeed are, then they should perform well. They are selling a lot of these to truckers, hence the name. That's a completely different market from the overlanding/camping crowd, so I would guess that there are a lot of posts about that brand on the various trucker forums.

How about a new thread with pictures and a review?

Xterabl

Adventurer
Whoa, CLICK THAT LINK in HenryJ's post if you're looking for an Edgestar 43 Qt...the same link posted by kbeefy now shows the 43qt priced at $219. But says only 5 left at this price, at the moment....
Almost makes me wish I had need for another one...hmmm...garage beer fridge???
WOW.

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Whoa, CLICK THAT LINK in HenryJ's post if you're looking for an Edgestar 43 Qt...the same link posted by kbeefy now shows the 43qt priced at $219. But says only 5 left at this price, at the moment....
Almost makes me wish I had need for another one...hmmm...garage beer fridge???
WOW.
THAT DID IT! I couldn't keep pining for my old fridge sold with my old trailer...not at that price. $220 delivered. I ordered one.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
Well... Looks like they took the money out of my account and tracking said I'll see it tomorrow. Ordered it Thanksgiving night don't know if I missed out on the original five or not

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just a thought as I read this, I find it interesting that folks would rather feel good about "saving" a bit of money on an item only to turn around and spend more than they saved on a decent dual battery or solar setup to compensate for the extra amp draw these cheaper freezers pull. I know I lucked out on my Dometic/Waeco/Tundra brand fridge/freezer when I found it on ebay, but I'm even more thankful that it only pulls half the amps as these cheaper models and can run it on one battery. So think about the added cost of "saving" money before you buy one of these "cheaper" fridges and you will find the nicer models are a smarter buy.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Just a thought as I read this, I find it interesting that folks would rather feel good about "saving" a bit of money on an item only to turn around and spend more than they saved on a decent dual battery or solar setup to compensate for the extra amp draw these cheaper freezers pull. I know I lucked out on my Dometic/Waeco/Tundra brand fridge/freezer when I found it on ebay, but I'm even more thankful that it only pulls half the amps as these cheaper models and can run it on one battery. So think about the added cost of "saving" money before you buy one of these "cheaper" fridges and you will find the nicer models are a smarter buy.
I found the amperage draw to be very reasonable and right in line with the high $$ fridges. I can run three days easily on a single 12V deep cycle battery in 80+ degree heat with no charging. Did that in Moab, not intentionally. I ran my truck to charge it back up and was good the rest of the week. Now that my solar panels work, they usually have the battery topped off for the next night by 10am.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that these are "amp hungry"? My experience has been that they do a very good job.
Well... Looks like they took the money out of my account and tracking said I'll see it tomorrow. Ordered it Thanksgiving night don't know if I missed out on the original five or not
Mine has shipping information now. A buddy of mine grabbed one too. We are both anxiously awaiting their arrival :)

trasko

Adventurer
As I recall the only differences ever noticed was "start-up" amperage where some units have a "soft-start" while others don't. Otherwise, they all use the same basic technology and it all runs at very similar efficiency levels. These Edgestar units real are a good value. In terms of the rest of the electrical system needs I see zero difference between this unit and the more expensive units.

DaJudge

Explorer
I have never run mine on two batteries! I've run it in a rental car, as I posted before! I think you will find that a vast majority of those who spent a thousand plus dollars on a fridge also have dual batteries, solar, stc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk