Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
When in campgrounds requiring food to be placed in bear proof lockers, what do you do with your fridge? Is it treated like a fridge in a RV and you can leave it in your vehicle or do you have move it to the locker?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but seemed like a lot of users of fridges would be able to weigh in.

I don't yet have a fridge, but I most definitely would dismount if from the vehicle and put it inside the bear box if I had one. That's what we do with our igloo 40q cooler.

I've experienced bears in campgrounds at White Wolf, in Yosemite National Park. It's a terrifying experience to hear a bears heavy breathing and you can't see where it is and being stuck inside a tent. Bear tested our bear-box, determined it was locked and decided to test its jaw on my 9 gallon action packer tote. He bit through it, and decided it wasn't all that fun and promptly moved on to the next campsite. Bears that frequent campgrounds are looking for the path of least resistance, if you make a lot of noise, they'll just move on to the next site to look for the idiots who didn't lock their bear box properly and then make a big ********** mess once they get in. Worst part is, the bear came back each night looking for food! :Wow1: .44 mag under pillow, prayed I could wield if it came after me in the tent. But again in my experience the bear just looking for path of least resistance. Second night it tested the bear box by beating on the doors, testing to see if it was unlocked or not. Snooped around for scraps and moved on to the next site. The bear found some idiots four sites over who didn't lock the box properly and it got fed and make a big mess!

Sorry to be off topic in this thread, but I think its a worthy discussion.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I don't yet have a fridge, but I most definitely would dismount if from the vehicle and put it inside the bear box if I had one. That's what we do with our igloo 40q cooler.

I've experienced bears in campgrounds at White Wolf, in Yosemite National Park. It's a terrifying experience to hear a bears heavy breathing and you can't see where it is and being stuck inside a tent. Bear tested our bear-box, determined it was locked and decided to test its jaw on my 9 gallon action packer tote. He bit through it, and decided it wasn't all that fun and promptly moved on to the next campsite. Bears that frequent campgrounds are looking for the path of least resistance, if you make a lot of noise, they'll just move on to the next site to look for the idiots who didn't lock their bear box properly and then make a big ********** mess once they get in. Worst part is, the bear came back each night looking for food! :Wow1: .44 mag under pillow, prayed I could wield if it came after me in the tent. But again in my experience the bear just looking for path of least resistance. Second night it tested the bear box by beating on the doors, testing to see if it was unlocked or not. Snooped around for scraps and moved on to the next site. The bear found some idiots four sites over who didn't lock the box properly and it got fed and make a big mess!

Sorry to be off topic in this thread, but I think its a worthy discussion.

Bear mace has been proven to be more effective than a handgun.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
keeping a dog on board is even better.

Bears dont want trouble, they want an easy snack.

We rarely hit camp grounds, but are often in bear country. We normally pitch all of the "good" stuff a bear might be interested in, into an old ice-chest that we carry along, then wedge the ice-chest under the rear bumper before going to bed.

It would be quite easy for the bear to get it if he really wanted it, but thats the idea. You dont want him tearing apart your $50,000 rig to get to a $1.25 candy bar. :coffee:

That said, since having a k-9 on board, we never see bears around camp anymore.

Ridge638

I have camped at White Wolf and met that bar on my way to the bathroom. We listened to him exploding soda cans all nite that someone left out not thinking he would be able to smell them. I leave motion lights around my rig and RTT at night, bright light scares most animals away especially State park bears that the rangers condition to be afraid of flashlights.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I like to leave bacon outside. The bears look at that and think "what kind if crazy person would leave bacon outside, we better go around".

susswein

Observer
Can you use a front-loading fridge sitting on it's back? I've got the opportunity to buy a small 12V front-loading fridge at a really cheap price, and I was wondering if I could just turn it onto it's back (with appropriate mounting, of course) and use it as a top-loading fridge. Anybody know enough about the details of how 12V fridges work to know if they depend on being app. upright?

I know that the 12V/propane fridges need to be level, but this one is 12V only.

nucktaco

Adventurer
i tried to order 1 too but they wont let me order using a canadian billing address even though ima ship to the us side of the border.... :rolleyes:

K2ZJ

Explorer
My 80 arrived 2 days ago. It has some dents on the corners, seem cosmetic. I don't know which ones may have been there prior to shipping though. The FedEx guy pulled an Ace Ventura when he delivered it to my neighbors house. They watched him drop it twice, they had to help him carry it the rest of the way. Then they realized it wasn't theirs.

It is BIG, deep really. I think it would be too big for my family on most trips, however I bought it for bringing home elk meat! Should be great for that. I am waiting to grab a 43 for in the Jeep.

susswein

Observer
As of Saturday afternoon they've got both an engel 43 and an edgestar 43 in their "open box" section. Prices aren't as good as the scratch and dent.

magentawave

Adventurer
I read that someone was going to experiment on creating a partition inside so that one part of the Edgestar would be for frozen stuff and the other section would be for refrigerated stuff. Has anyone been able to do that successfully?

P.S. I ordered two Edgestar 80 quart models at only $279 because of a Christmas Eve special they had with no sales tax and free shipping and then they knocked $20 off the top of that.

magentawave

Adventurer
I have another question please...

Has anyone experimented with using a little computer fan to keep the guts of the Edgestars running cooler (and especially in hot tropical weather)? If so, did you put the fan at the intake or exhaust, or both?

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC