Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

MarcoPolo

On the 63qt., there is no room to add a fan.
Mods I did were:
1) Open vents and install wire fan grills for better airflow.
2) Seal around fan with foam to force all air across condenser.
3) Seal vent panel under control panel with tape so air must travel over compressor
4) Reverse fan on AC power supply so air flows outward, promotes crossflow over compressor
5) Adjust AC powers supply voltage from 12V to 12.6V
6) Add reflective foam tape in compressor chamber to reflect heat away from cold areas.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Mods I did were:
3) Seal vent panel under control panel with tape so air must travel over compressor
4) Reverse fan on AC power supply so air flows outward, promotes crossflow over compressor
6) Add reflective foam tape in compressor chamber to reflect heat away from cold areas.
Got pics?

susswein

Observer
openbox direct just got some more of the 63 quart in their scratch and dent - I just snagged one for $270 including shipping.

magentawave

Adventurer
It would be great to see some photos of your mods if you have them please. :)

Mods I did were:

magentawave

Adventurer
Actually it would be nice to see the photos of your work at the Edgestar Fridge Modifications thread.

Mods I did were:

magentawave

Adventurer
Would I be a fool to use an Edgestar fridge while traveling through Mexico and Central America instead of an ARB, Engel, or National Luma?

magentawave

Adventurer
What I meant by "fool" is would it be foolish to expect the far cheaper Edgestar (I paid only $278 shipped to my door for the 80 quart) to perform well in hot tropical conditions in a foreign country where getting parts could be a major problem? And what do you mean when you say "it certainly wouldn't be expo"?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Would I be a fool to use an Edgestar fridge while traveling through Mexico and Central America instead of an ARB, Engel, or National Luma?

Very politely I would ask if you have decided that you could accept the consequences if the Edgestar broke down and you had to toss it in order to have room for a regular old ice chest. :sombrero: My Engel 45 is 7 to 8 years old and is only rarely powered down. Never so much as a hiccup so that is the reliability that I'd want if I was so far from home.

ExploringNH

Explorer
What I meant by "fool" is would it be foolish to expect the far cheaper Edgestar (I paid only $278 shipped to my door for the 80 quart) to perform well in hot tropical conditions in a foreign country where getting parts could be a major problem? And what do you mean when you say "it certainly wouldn't be expo"?

Unless it's the biggest, baddest, most elegant, and unnecessary, it isn't ExPo.

I ran an Edgestar through Central/South America with no issues at all, and it was used hard. It was then brought inside (in Colombia) and has been used daily plugged into AC power since then. That was almost exactly 1 year ago. It certainly isn't ExPo, but for me, I would run it again without question.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Unless it's the biggest, baddest, most elegant, and unnecessary, it isn't ExPo.

I ran an Edgestar through Central/South America with no issues at all, and it was used hard. It was then brought inside (in Colombia) and has been used daily plugged into AC power since then. That was almost exactly 1 year ago. It certainly isn't ExPo, but for me, I would run it again without question.

Heck, I would defer to your actual experience! As the person who started this thread I am always amazed at the content and longevity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC