Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

Jevy

Adventurer
question for those of you with the fridge....can I leave it plugged into both 120v and 12v at the same time? In other words if both are plugged in will it go to 120v by default then when the power is lost revert to the 12v???

ZMagic97

Explorer
question for those of you with the fridge....can I leave it plugged into both 120v and 12v at the same time? In other words if both are plugged in will it go to 120v by default then when the power is lost revert to the 12v???

Yes, I do it in my Jeep via the dash acc. power and my inverter power.

magentawave

Adventurer
My 86 quart Edgestar won't work running DC out of the box but works great running AC. I pulled off the cover and all wires seem to be plugged in.

Two questions please...

1) Were the problems with the included DC cord on the end that plugs into the fridge, or the female DC plug end, or both?

2) What is the next step I should take?

Thanks very much.

Steve

ZMagic97

Explorer
My 86 quart Edgestar won't work running DC out of the box but works great running AC. I pulled off the cover and all wires seem to be plugged in.

Two questions please...

1) Were the problems with the included DC cord on the end that plugs into the fridge, or the female DC plug end, or both?

2) What is the next step I should take?

Thanks very much.

Steve

On DC, does the screen even light up?

I believe all the issues I have heard were with DC.

magentawave

Adventurer
Yes the screen lights up and shows the actual temperature inside and will show "FF" or whatever I choose but nothing happens. There is total silence with no fan running, etc. Again, it runs perfect on AC.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Check your power supply - make sure your 12VDC socket is providing sufficient amperage. This is exactly the symptom my 43 quart unit had when I used a chintzy 12v extension cord - the wires were simply too small to supply enough juice, and come to find out the extension cord was only rated for 2 amps.

magentawave

Adventurer
Sorry to ask such a dumb question but I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff...

I just bought an Innova 3310 Multimeter like the one in the photo and exactly how would I use that to see if the 12VDC socket is providing sufficient amperage?

Thanks for replying.

Steve

Attachments

• 3310_plus.jpg
    3310_plus.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 253

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Sorry to ask such a dumb question but I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff...

I just bought an Innova 3310 Multimeter like the one in the photo and exactly how would I use that to see if the 12VDC socket is providing sufficient amperage?

Thanks for replying.

Steve
Voltage is a measurement of pressure. This can be measured by the multimeter DCV settings listed above.
Amperage is a measurement of flow. You will need an ammeter to read that. I use a digital auto ranging DC clamp on ammeter. The one pictured above does not read amperage.

trasko

Adventurer
If you're trying to determine the cause of your 12V issues I would recommend eliminating the socket as a variable altogether. Use some heavy wires or jumper cables or whatever you can work out to provide 12V DC to the fridge. Connect it straight to the fridge and see if it works. If so, then you know the problem probably lies in what you changed (the connection) and not something internal to the fridge. I woiuldn't bother trying to measure anything.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Well shoot, I thought that thing I bought could do it all! Shows how little I know. Would these at Harbor Freight do the job? They have pretty good reviews. http://www.harborfreight.com/clamp-on-digital-multimeter-95683.html and http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-clamp-on-multimeter-95652.html
Neither of those. Those only read AC current (amperage). You need to read DC current / amperage. Something like this: Sears Craftsman AC/DC Clamp ammeter
$100 is about the cheapest I have seen them.

magentawave

Adventurer
I see. I assumed that being able to test AC and DC voltage meant it would test AC and DC amperage. You have saved me a trip to Harbor Freight. Thank you.

I'll ask this again please...

Was a faulty 12 volt socket the cause of many of these Edgestars not working on DC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC