Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
How does one do that? Run a lower guage wire straight from the battery to the plug? I haven't seen any write ups for a mod such as this (but I also have t searched)

Most vehicle wiring leading to a stock outlet is not adequate for anything other than a cigarette lighter. A lower gage wire means a bigger wire. If you do this mod, be sure to put a fuse or breaker close to the battery. You would not want a large wire like that having the potential to rub or chafe without protection.

As for how you run a new wire; many people install a stand alone marine type connection as an aftermarket receptacle and leave the stock plug alone. Check Equip1t.com or a marine supply house.

If you search intermittent fridge electrical issues; you should find plenty about wire size solving this issue. An old worn battery could also be a problem, but the proper wire size will make your fridge happy!

austintaco

Explorer
On the 4runner, it's an 84, I ran power to a relay box that I pulled from a Celica at the salvage yard. This was a few years ago, so I am going off of memory. I then ran some extra thick speaker wire ( I think it's called monster wire, I also pulled that at the salvage yard) from a relay to the rear seat area. I had initially run the monster wire to one 12 volt plug that was rated as 10 gauge, but I switched that for a dual plug that was rated for 15 amps.

I think the easier way to run this setup would be a fused hot wire directly from the battery to wherever you want the plug to be and then ground it out near the plug.

xkid

Adventurer
Hi guy's.Looking at fridges like this. Up in Canada here "Bass Pro" are selling a "Base Camp"43 qt. for $750. It looks similar to this edge star. Anybody heard of this Name Brand?

Explore

Observer
XKid,
The Base Camp 43 is the exact same fridge as the Whitner 43. with the addition of 3 led lights inside, red trim, polished exterior and a slightly differnt power connection..
I seen this model at the Expo and looked into it.. the electrical info and compressor is all the same.
I still have pics on my phone of the two (mine vs. the Base Camp) if you need to see them. PM' me

Explore

CaliMobber

Adventurer
For $750 ditch the nock off fridges and just buy a ARB. I love my edge-star but i only paid $380 shipped. The arb is better quality hands down, so if you start thinking about spending over $600 look into the ARB. My buddy has the 43qt arb refurbished or open box from amazon for $650. So keep your eyes open, their are deals to be had.

As for the wiring, My 4runner I just ran a 6gauge from my marine fuse box under my seat back to the cig plug in the back. Solved my low voltage cut out problems.

xkid

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I want this for the rear of the Xterra and for my new to me, pop up trailer. Plus sitting by the pool. The base camp doesn't have the AC. Would be nice to have both.

Last edited:

Lipek

Observer
just ordered mine for $455 with free shipping from compact appliances, now i need to make a new 12v plug for it since my existing plug does not stay on after vehicle shuts down.

aek50

Adventurer
What is everyone doing to secure the units in their vehicles? I just recently picked one up and anxious to use it. Are the handles on the side of the firdge strong enouch to act as an anchor point?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
What is everyone doing to secure the units in their vehicles? I just recently picked one up and anxious to use it. Are the handles on the side of the firdge strong enouch to act as an anchor point?

I have used my handles from time to time and they seem solid enough.

As for the 12v not staying on when the car is off. Easiest thing is to find the relay for the 12v socket and bypass it. Make a short wire connect it all the time.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
I have used my handles from time to time and they seem solid enough.

As for the 12v not staying on when the car is off. Easiest thing is to find the relay for the 12v socket and bypass it. Make a short wire connect it all the time.

The above advise is fine as long as the fridge is not heat stressed too much and your battery is in tip-top shape. However, if you intend to use the fridge in high temps or keep it very cold, I would suggest running a separate protected wire and a dedicated socket for the fridge. Use a ten gage wire to eliminate any electrical issues from too small a wire. Don't forget to ground the socket with a ten gage wire as well. (Nothing wrong with a short piece of 12 gage wire to connect from the socket to the 10 gage wire. Connecting the 10 gage to the socket could be hard.)

As for how to secure the fridge; the handles are plastic and in so being are not very strong. In a crash, the handle will most likely fail. Some people have removed the handles and inserted a metal plate with hooks or hoops behind the handle and bolted the handles back on. Not to push the securing part to much; check our website for fridge tie down straps. "Buffalo Straps"

Jerry

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer

I replaced the plastic handles on my Edgestar with metal ones and tie them to the mounting points on my slider (which happens to be a Tembo Tusk one. I love it)

slomatt

Adventurer
I made some steel brackets that fit into the channel in the bottom of the fridge. The metal is not very thick and they aren't crazy strong, but they keep the fridge from moving and should hold it in place in the event of an accident. The brackets on one side mount using hand screws so they are easy to remove. If you wanted to make this setup stronger you could use a piece of 1/4" bar with a spacer to hold it up off the platform.

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

- Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC