Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

aek50

Adventurer
Just got back from 5 days in the wilds of Ontario. Covered well over 200 miles of rough, washed out and generally harsh roads often at bone shaking speeds. Fridge never missed a beat. Once I got a quality ground it hummed away even with the original power cord plugged into my new outlet directly connected to the battery. Can't say enough how nice having a fridge is. Only gripes are the handles and as previously mentioned somewhere a ways back, the temp gauge seems to not be entirely accurate. Minor stuff. Overall, if you are like me a few weeks back reading this deciding weather to make the purchase, I would endorse it.

frans

Adventurer
Just got back from 5 days in the wilds of Ontario. Covered well over 200 miles of rough, washed out and generally harsh roads often at bone shaking speeds. Fridge never missed a beat. Once I got a quality ground it hummed away even with the original power cord plugged into my new outlet directly connected to the battery. Can't say enough how nice having a fridge is. Only gripes are the handles and as previously mentioned somewhere a ways back, the temp gauge seems to not be entirely accurate. Minor stuff. Overall, if you are like me a few weeks back reading this deciding weather to make the purchase, I would endorse it.

I also bought the fridge at the $277.00 price. i waited some time before this deal came up and I am glad I did. The 63 Quart is just big enough to be able to use it easily. Even for two of us, any smaller and I would have to constantly pack and repack groceries. With the 63 I can have a quart of milk or juice handy, loosely packed veggies and or fruit, and have a spot for the chicken breast or other meat separate from everything else. The smaller fridges are great, but for actually using them day in and day out on a trip, well, they are too small. The 63 Q. is just the perfect size.
I have not modified the handles because frankly I don't lift and carry the thing all the time so the handles as they are work fine. The temp does seem to be a couple degrees off but thats the only complaint.

magentawave

Adventurer
It was a really annoying screeching sound that my 80 quart Edgestar was making. I called their "tech" line and very clearly explained exactly where the sound was coming from (the silver rectangular shaped box just behind the vents on the bottom right front of the fridge) and they kept sending me the fan thats in the back of the unit. Anyway, three's a charm and they finally sent me the right part which is the transformer so I replaced it and now its back to operating quietly like it should.

Other then the fan and motor spinning up, no sound from mine. What kinda noise are you talking about? can you describe it?

magentawave

Adventurer
Has anyone measured the inside of their Edgestar to see if its the quart size the manufacturer claims it to be? I wanted to calculate how much refrigerator space I'll need when traveling by comparing it with the fridge I currently use at home. So I measured my 80 quart Edgestar and after converting its cubic inches/feet into dry quarts here http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/cubic-feet-to-quarts.htm my Edgestar FP861 was only 59 dry quarts and its supposed to be the big 80 quart model! So then I converted its internal cubic feet into LIQUID quarts and it was more than before but still only 69 quarts. What the heck am I missing here??

Last edited:

Xterabl

Adventurer
Huh. I estimated my 43 quart at about 1.5 cubic feet or maybe a little more (LxWxH for the two clearly defined cubic regions in the fridge (the deep part, and the shallow part due to the compressor "bump")), which your translation link converts to almost 45 (wet) quarts and almost 39 (dry) quarts.
Seems fine to me....

magentawave

Adventurer
Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong here because I've gone over my figures twice and I still come up with a lot less cubic feet or quarts than what the manufacturer says its supposed to be.

Finlay

Triarius
My FP630 is 3655.5 cubic inches, which works out to about 2.12 cubic feet and 63.4 quarts.

According to the dimensions listed here the FP861 is ~5,020 cubic inches, which is ~2.91 cubic feet and about 86.8 quarts liquid 75 quarts dry.

I used the basket dimensions since the actual dimensions weren't stated. Still, it should be close to those figures - I didn't round up that much.

magentawave

Adventurer
Hah hah, I realize this is bordering on obsessive but I'm doing a major re-build of a little Toyota motorhome I'll be living and traveling in and I really need to figure things right the first time. Anyway, Edgestars measurements for the big FP861 on this page are waaaay off...and even if you eliminate the baskets.

ACTUAL VOLUME:
3979.125 cubic inches
2.3 cubit feet
68.82 liquid quarts
59.142 dry quarts
57.30 UK quarts

BOGUS EDGESTAR VOLUME:
5598 cubic inches
3.24 cubic feet
96.95 liquid quarts
83.31 dry quarts
80.73 UK quarts

Now I know why everything was off so much when I compared the Edgestar to my home fridge!

Last edited:

madmax718

Explorer
I am kicking myself for not getting this at the moment. After I pondered it for weeks, I figured out that the savings could have been easily returned should I get a multi day blackout- I just move all my frozen stuff to this unit, hook up the solar panels and deep cycle battery, and nothing goes to waste. All the BBq's, where I had to "go get ice" or to get ice to keep things cool- lugging around heavy coolers that were filled with mostly water and Ice.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I am kicking myself for not getting this at the moment. After I pondered it for weeks, I figured out that the savings could have been easily returned should I get a multi day blackout- I just move all my frozen stuff to this unit, hook up the solar panels and deep cycle battery, and nothing goes to waste. All the BBq's, where I had to "go get ice" or to get ice to keep things cool- lugging around heavy coolers that were filled with mostly water and Ice.

I rarely lose power (once in 12 years where I'm at) but always considered the fridge as a good back-up if I needed it.

ilguy

Observer

Keep you eye on those sites Max. I missed it back at the beginning of the year but was able to get in on this last run. They really do seem to be a decent fridge.

madmax718

Explorer
I even signed up for the "notification" email. lol. Ya, Im looking.. I'd like the smaller model though, but at this point, not really picky. :)

kbahus

Adventurer
How long does it take for one of these to cool down? I picked up a 43qt model off Craigslist and was functioning fine in his garage on AC power so I thought I would be good to go. Finally got it wired into the truck and it's been on all day and the temp is only down to 65 and it doesn't seem to be getting any colder. Fast Freeze does nothing either. Ambient outside air temps have been mid 80's and now in the 70's, if it can only cool to 65 there is something wrong, pretty disappointing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC