Check out the rare ford I just bought and conversion question

rebar

Adventurer
Can you ID what I just scored?

Second question. Whats the best option for a transfer case? I know the NV 4500 can be converted but is a divorced a better option?

Attachments

• cumminsvan3.jpg
    cumminsvan3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 67
  • cumminsvan11.jpg
    cumminsvan11.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 79
  • cumminsvan6.jpg
    cumminsvan6.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 89
  • cumminsvan12.jpg
    cumminsvan12.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 63

Cody1771

Explorer
oh man! where did you score that? how's the rest of the Van look? you shouldnt have a hard time finding an adapter for a t-case for the NV4500.

rebar

Adventurer
oh man! where did you score that? how's the rest of the Van look? you shouldnt have a hard time finding an adapter for a t-case for the NV4500.

Its a southern van set up for pulling. Its seen better days but runs like a top and rust free.

Attachments

• cumminsvan1.jpg
    cumminsvan1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 56
  • cumminsvan2.jpg
    cumminsvan2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 56

rebar

Adventurer
that a 12v?????

inline for sure.

very nice find!

First gen 12v with VE pump.. tons of receipts.. Strong.

Where can I find details on which transfer case I need and if it takes a coupler etc? I need to search more.

Things gonna be bad ***..

Jakey

Very nice find.
I recommend having the transmission converted to run a married transfer case.
For more than one reason:
Retaining fuel capacity.
The biggest reason: You'll have a more modern transfer case.
And one less driveshaft.

If you take more pics, I'd love to see how tight a fit everything is up front and with the engine cover off.
Does it have a mechanical or electric fan?

rebar

Adventurer
Very nice find.
I recommend having the transmission converted to run a married transfer case.
For more than one reason:
Retaining fuel capacity.
The biggest reason: You'll have a more modern transfer case.
And one less driveshaft.

If you take more pics, I'd love to see how tight a fit everything is up front and with the engine cover off.
Does it have a mechanical or electric fan?

Agreed. But from what I remember reading last night.. l it takes a spline adapter kit. I feel comfortable doing the work but admit know nothing about compatibility at this moment.

Jakey

A 4x4 Mainshaft and rear tailhousing are what's needed for the conversion. No spline adapters or couplers.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
First gen 12v with VE pump.. tons of receipts.. Strong.

Where can I find details on which transfer case I need and if it takes a coupler etc? I need to search more.

Things gonna be bad ***..

Which trans do you have? First gens had a Getrag behind them with a right hand drop NP205 t-case, Second gens had the NV4500 with a left hand drop NP241. This was 4x4, 2x4's had the same trans minus the t-case. What axle you going to use for the 4x4 conversion? The NV4500 is the better and easier to get parts for trans. If you use the ujoint 4x4 conversion I would find a NV4500 with t-case attached, this would be the best choice. The Getrag trans and t-case with corresponding adaptors are harder to find.

rebar

Adventurer
Which trans do you have? First gens had a Getrag behind them with a right hand drop NP205 t-case, Second gens had the NV4500 with a left hand drop NP241. This was 4x4, 2x4's had the same trans minus the t-case. What axle you going to use for the 4x4 conversion? The NV4500 is the better and easier to get parts for trans. If you use the ujoint 4x4 conversion I would find a NV4500 with t-case attached, this would be the best choice. The Getrag trans and t-case with corresponding adaptors are harder to find.
Its the NV4500. PO told me the 6bt was a 1994,, but with a ve pump?. So until I actually pick this van up, I wont know more.

Im thinking a couple of dana 60's. But not sure on leafs or the NP205 yet. This sounds expensive, but so rewarding..

rebar

Adventurer
Can someone explain the difference between the pre 1993 nv4500/np205 and the post 1993 nv4500/np205 other than dodge switching from passenger left side drop to driverside drop after 93. When was the getrag discontinued?

Completely different transmissions and T-cases 93 to 94 dodge's? Or is there any interchangeability?

Thanks

One other.. Iv found a heck of a deal on a 97 1 ton dually 4x4 cummins with everything cept the inter-cooler for 2k. seller claims he drove it home. Only reason I'm not biting is the ball joint front end.. But are the BJ's that less desirable? lol
And Im guessing my original D60 rear will be sufficient?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach