CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Well that's a strange coincidence... I picked up a CJ-2a/3 grille last December and just today I had it out and was doing some measuring and test fitting to see what would be involved in making a grille kit for it. But doing those measurements today doesn't imply I'm going to start a project to build a complete grille kit.

What I decided was that I could modify my fiberglass flat fenders to mate to that grille, and make a minor modification to the inner fenders for the CJ Grille Kit so that could be used with that grille as well. The CJ Grille Kit cowl panel would be used unchanged, and a new hood would have to be made to integrate everything together. Less work than making the original CJ Grille Kit, but still a fairly large project.

The MB, CJ-2a and CJ-3a grilles all have the same dimensions, so if I ever decide to do a kit, it would work with the MB grille just fine.

This photo was taken in December when I picked up the grille:

CJ2AGrille_zps1b82702a.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The LJ-8 on the trail in the Colorado mountains. Today we did California Pass (12,960' elev.), Hurricane Pass and Corkscrew Pass. Some shots on the California Pass trail:

CaliforniaPass1_zps790aaafd.jpg

CaliforniaPass2_zps82a6c03c.jpg

CaliforniaPass3_zpse146ce41.jpg

CaliforniaPass4_zps083bc07b.jpg

CaliforniaPass5_zpsdf373e00.jpg

I love it! If you ever get this into production I am a buyer! Would also like to see the sun visor too. The retro stuff is just great!

At least it was easy for me to "retro" my Grand Wagoner to the "Gladiator" look up front and an XJ sun visor just might work above the windshield on the SJ too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I love it! If you ever get this into production I am a buyer! Would also like to see the sun visor too. The retro stuff is just great!
Thank you.

I'm keeping the molds in case I ever find a reason to make more kits, but I don't have any plans to try to get the CJ Grille Kit into production, I just don't think there would be enough demand for it to make it worthwhile for me to find a company to market it.

At least it was easy for me to "retro" my Grand Wagoner to the "Gladiator" look up front and an XJ sun visor just might work above the windshield on the SJ too.

I'm thinking of doing a "Retro Rhino" kit for the JK... a Gladiator grille and hood is in my garage right now, I'm using it to do the design work on a Gladiator kit for the JK. I'm thinking it might be fun to make the JK look like the Jeep Nukizer and J12 concepts.

Rhino4_zps758350b0.jpg

This photo shows a printout of a re-scaled Gladiator grille in place on a JK...

JK-Gladiator_zps2d02529a.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
And speaking of "retro"... I was going through my old Jeep literature collection last night and came across this CJ-8 brochure from the 80's - it reminded me of the photo at right, which was taken this September crossing the Animas River north of Silverton, Colorado.

WorldCabAd_zps045dc575.jpg

dsquarewd

Great project. I am also interested in your gas can carriers. The one on the drivers side seems removeable. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Great project. I am also interested in your gas can carriers. The one on the drivers side seems removeable. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes, the carriers are removable. They consist of a receiver that bolts to the frame, and a can carrier that slips into the receiver. They can be mounted on either side of the Jeep, and no drilling is required - they're a very simple bolt-on. They work with either jerry-style cans or NATO-style cans.

I designed them and also a spare-mount carrier (I'm using both in the trail photo below) and both have recently been licensed by a company for production. The units on my Jeep in the photo below are pre-production units from the company I was testing on the trails in Colorado. The company introduced both products at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas last month, so they should be available very soon. Because it's a unique design, the company has a patent pending.

CaliforniaPass3_zpse146ce41.jpg

Here's a photo of the receiver without the can carrier in place, it's under the flare extension and tucks up close against the body so it isn't in the way on the trail:

JerryCanSideRackInstalledRcvr.jpg

The company also licensed two of my other designs, all should be announced publicly and available soon.

For the record: I won't be selling these, and this post isn't a solicitation to sell anything. The company that licensed the designs from me will be selling them, I just design this stuff as a hobby.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Visiting the Mor-Ryde booth was the most exciting thing I did at SEMA!! I was glad to see that they're going to offer some of your designs! The guy I talked to there was really cool, and basically just said that they liked your concepts and had extra production capability to make things and sell them. Good for them, and hopefully good for you! And definitely good for those of us who might buy some of the products too!!! :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Visiting the Mor-Ryde booth was the most exciting thing I did at SEMA!! I was glad to see that they're going to offer some of your designs! The guy I talked to there was really cool, and basically just said that they liked your concepts and had extra production capability to make things and sell them. Good for them, and hopefully good for you! And definitely good for those of us who might buy some of the products too!!! :)

Thanks! It was the high point of SEMA for me this year for sure. It was very satisfying to see people coming into the MorRyde booth and saying very positive things about the designs. A person from one of the big Jeep catalogs said to me and the MorRyde guys that "these products at the prices you're planning are home runs". :)

Here's some of the MorRyde booth stuff showing the products (MorRyde didn't have a chance to take their own photos in time for the show so they used some of mine):

ProductPosters1024_zpsa3d12010.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad