CL Find: 1991 Diesel Suburban

flomulgator

6.2 is a stock motor for 1991. 1/2 ton axle for that year was actually quite strong unless you are towing >5000# for considerable distances. If anyone is considering buying that and has questions, ask me, my rig is an indentical vehicle in red. I know more about it than I want to, or should :)

r_w

Adventurer
nice looking rig. Those years were more like a heavy half, as strong as many 3/4 tons today except for brakes.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
6.2 is a stock motor for 1991. 1/2 ton axle for that year was actually quite strong unless you are towing >5000# for considerable distances. If anyone is considering buying that and has questions, ask me, my rig is an indentical vehicle in red. I know more about it than I want to, or should :)

Sounds like a nice rig. Will probably be sold before I could get up there! I was wondering what kind of mpg's do you get?

flomulgator

Shortest answer: 18
Short answer: I've gotten anywhere from 15.5 to 21.5 with my current setup. I bet he gets somewhere in the high teens with those huge tires.

Long answer: The stock motor came with fuel miser heads meant for non-turbo applications as a response to the Oil Embargo years. With the original motor, original 3.42 gearing, and OEM 235/75/15 tiny white wall tires we could get 23 mpg on the highway @ 65 mph. Yes, I'm serious!
Now my truck has a different motor (6.5 block) with heads meant for power and turbocharging. As of very recently I have added a turbo and turned up the fuel. It drives like a gas V8 now, and returned ~17mpg on a recent trip this winter through Wy / Co at high speeds. I have 33"/10.5" tires now.

His rig: 35" tires and a 4.10 ratio work out to about the stock driveline gearing, so no change there. If he has the original 6.2 then it has the fuel miser heads. However, dock some serious points for vehicle height and tire width (those look like 12.5" wide). I'd guess that rig would get 20mpg @ 65mph. Stock tank is 41 gal giving an effective range of ~750 miles.

Also, these rigs are underappreciated in this corner of the country, so it may last. If it was New Mexico it'd be gone already :)

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Thanks flomugator! Good info. Hate to bug you but you're the only person I've found who actually has owned one of these! lol I probably know the answer but I have to ask: how's the performance on the 6.2 for getting on freeways or pulling into traffic?

Thanks, Jim.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Thanks flomugator! Good info. Hate to bug you but you're the only person I've found who actually has owned one of these! lol I probably know the answer but I have to ask: how's the performance on the 6.2 for getting on freeways or pulling into traffic?

Thanks, Jim.

Performance and 6.2. Ahh I needed a good laugh.

They aren't rocket ships and if you are used to the newer diesels and expect the same from a 6.2 you will be very disappointed. But if you realize what it is and plan your merges a little they aren't bad. Loaded down and towing they get pretty slow but you can do some simple performance upgrades to make them a little faster. They were designed to be econo engines so they get pretty good MPG for what they are in but you won't get there fast.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I was afraid of that! lol! Driving around here requires a certain level of performance and often loaded firearms! Well I'll just have to carry a few more guns and go a little slower. Heck with the daily grid lock I don't often need to much speed! I've got an e-mail off to the seller hoping to find out more about it. Hope I hear back soon as I'd need to get a ticket for this weekend. If there's anything you can think of I should know or check for I'd be happy to hear about it. Main thing I'm concerned about is rust up there in the rainy country. Thanks for the help, I'll post up if I get it!!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Just put a big, beefy, steel bumper on the back and don't worry about the guy behind you.:elkgrin:

Unless its been a beach runner you shouldn't have too worry too much about rust. I know sometimes they like to rust below the big quarter windows.

If you plan on running those size tires loaded down and towing make sure you keep up on the rearend maintenance or better yet swap 3/4 or 1 ton axles in.

flomulgator

What Short Bus said :p
@ 250 lb/ft way down low 0-40 happens at a reasonable pace. 40-65 is the ugly part that will remind you more of a VW bus than a Dodge w/ a Cummins.

That being said, with my turbo I now do quite well getting on the freeway. If I romp it up to 10psi I'll have 230 HP / 370 TQ

Here's a positive though: Mechanical fuel pump with a good reputation. Engine can largely be fixed in the field with hand tools if you know what you're doing.

Advice? Ask if it's the original engine. If it's 212K original miles I might suggest a compression check. Definitely get under the vehicle and look back up at the Harmonic Balancer. (A hard rubber disk mounted to the front of the crankshaft by the fan). It should be smooth and complete. If it isn't then internal damage could have resulted.

PNW has no rust. Asides from moss Oregon is used car heaven (the lack of sales tax incentivizes the trading and upkeep of old cars, and they don't salt the roads).

Best piece of advice I can give you: head over to TheDieselPage.com forums. It is a treasure trove of 6.2 knowledge. Any post by a woman named "Robyn" is pure gold. Paying $15 for a premium membership for a year will get you extended information, and buying the 2 real books is also a good idea. The free forums contain a lot though too.

Last edited:

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Great info here guys! Thanks for your input and advice. I did hear back from the seller. He's only owned it for 4 years so he doesn't have much history on it. It has a couple front fender dents and he has a replacement fender for the right front. Left front dent isn't very big so no point bothering with it. He sent a couple extra pictures. Other then the typical oxidation on the roof it looks in ok condition. I'm not sure if I'm going to bid on though without knowing more of it's history. Any thoughts on this?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Its tough buying a used car long distance. Got anyone up there you know could go take a look at it for you or take it to a shop for a prepurchase inspection?

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Unfortunately the only contact I have up there is my brother in law and he can barely operate a car much less check one out for quality! lol! And he wouldn't have the time to take it somewhere for an inspection. I'm thinking I'm going to pass since I don't want to pay the air fare to go see a vehicle I don't have any history on. I did find another truck up in the Los Angeles area that has caught my interest and I'm still looking for one of those old military CUCV's to show up. Will see what I can find out in the next couple days! Thanks for all the great help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle