classic RANGE ROVER DIESEL CONVERSION UNDER $ 1500 DOLLAR project .

dubl_t

Jarek,
I would guess with a 31" tire you'd have more "seat of the pants" power.
what's your rpm at 60 mph?

I've got a '70 Ford F100 4x4, 4 speed, with a D300 International out of a '67 715 Combine and it's a slug, but it'll pull like there's no tomorrow. At 20+ mpg's, it's my daily driver......and yea, top speed is 55-60 (red line's 2300 rpms)

Last edited:

franko

Observer
I have been road testing my disco swap and iam doing about 70 fine.
But that's with stock tires and gears. Mind you I only plan on 235/85's so it perfect for me!
And it shifts real nice and smoth with the auto:)

bpjenks

Prospeculor
I have been road testing my disco swap and iam doing about 70 fine.
But that's with stock tires and gears. Mind you I only plan on 235/85's so it perfect for me!
And it shifts real nice and smoth with the auto:)

Franco,
what up with your conversion..........

Marcelo

zlzuyw.gif

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I put one in a Jeep FC170.... I think if I added it up I would have been at $1500-2000 for the motor swap.... I ran the stock Merc-automatic to a divorced NP205.... Love love love that motor...

Cheers David

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i HAVE AN 88 CLASSIC WHITE.

Had an engine fire, and a racoon lived in it for a couple years. So the interior isn't good.

but I'll let it go for $400. Still has wheels, axles and a good shell.

I have removed most of the interior. It was garbage. And there is no rear window. I can email you pictures if you like. I'm located in Layton UT. There is very little rust anywhere on the vehicle. I'm removing the engine, transmission, and t-case, but I'll leave the t-case LT230 if you'd like it.

Its a pile. It only had 96K on the ODO.

Its either that or I take it to the scrap yard next week. I've had it in my garage for 4 months pulling parts off it to use on my 94 LWB.

10268663_10152119208485028_702762712659962930_n.jpg

10177278_10152113953690028_6578262684658978508_n.jpg

roverandom

Adventurer
I don't think I'm ever going to understand this American pre-occupation with converting stuff to diesel power with outdated, ****ty engines. Perhaps it's a "grass is greener on the other side" deal?

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I don't think I'm ever going to understand this American pre-occupation with converting stuff to diesel power with outdated, ****ty engines. Perhaps it's a "grass is greener on the other side" deal?

OM617 is a great motor you have never driven one clearly. Cast iron mechanical injection. you can bump start the automatic (yes the automatic can be pull started) and need zero power to run it. I am not sure why it is outdated? 100% reliable and indestructible... Returns MPG that new computer controlled not outdated motors still cannot reach. there is a reason most OM617 are still running around the world 30-40 years latter.

XJLI

Adventurer

i agree. i'd rather a lsx motor. twice the power, same amount of bulletproof, parts all over for half of the price. have a friend with 400k+ on his 5.3.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The OM617 installations are interesting to me. I would submit that the Land Rover Tdi series of engines are among the most excellent and prolific diesel engines ever produced internationally and can certainly build enough power with enough reliability to take any Land Rover anywhere you want to take it.

In my opinion, in the small-displacement category (maybe we could define this as 3.0L or under?), it's tough to beat a 300Tdi.

Now, if one was looking for more power than what the Tdi can provide I would only look to the 3.9L variants from Isuzu or Cummins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77