Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I'm just jaded that's all. Because 99% of my fuel is paid for by work, I don't care as much about efficiency.

It's definitely not a need, it's a want. Also, I think the weight point is moot.

1GR- ~366lb
LQ9 - ~580lb
2UZ - ~540lb
LC9 - ~450lb

*Yes my numbers are quick google searches, and just some random engines off the top of my head. I couldn't find data for the 3.5L, or the newer Toyota V8.

With both my Taco's being autos, I'd love to drive a manual just to see if it's really the transmissions that are annoying.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I guess Toyota had their reasons for the V8 and I've always figured there was a reason they coupled it with the Auto 4WD transfer case. Handling, traction, lifespan, I dunno. Dodge was able to stuff one in the Dakota of a similar size. I will say though that a buddy who had a V8 stick shift extended cab Dakota had constant transmission issues so perhaps there's a practical limit to what you can stuff into a smaller truck before it weights as much as a full size anyway or falls below some threshold Toyota has on margins for drivetrains.

IOW, they are OK with a V8 in a part time 4WD truck like the Tundra because the transmission and axles are bigger so you're not running as close to their maximum capability. It's not that an 8" diff, A750, RA60 or R150 can't handle a V8 it's just that Toyota in their testing determined that running at, say, 80% of the transmission's max torque led to an expected lifespan lower than their design criteria. So in the 4Runner they run AWD so neither the front nor rear axle is getting 100% of the power.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
V8 Colorado for a bit. I *think* the Ford sport trac got a v8 for a bit as well.

Granted, similar HP numbers were available from supercharging the 5vze, but I’d still have fun with a v8.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm just jaded that's all. Because 99% of my fuel is paid for by work, I don't care as much about efficiency.

It's definitely not a need, it's a want. Also, I think the weight point is moot.

1GR- ~366lb
LQ9 - ~580lb
2UZ - ~540lb
LC9 - ~450lb

*Yes my numbers are quick google searches, and just some random engines off the top of my head. I couldn't find data for the 3.5L, or the newer Toyota V8.

With both my Taco's being autos, I'd love to drive a manual just to see if it's really the transmissions that are annoying.

If those figures are correct, the 2UZ is ~50% heavier than the 1GR. I'd say that's a pretty significant. I just looked at my payload and it's at 990lbs. Adding in a 2UZ would mean it'd be down to 800lbs. I think that's lower than a Subaru Forester! Ouch.

Maybe the 4Runner got away with the weight as it's more balanced F/R. Truck is already front biased.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
weight as it's more balanced
Weight balance and traction makes the most sense. I'm not sure why no one has put all wheel drive into a pickup. If there's an application that seems ideal for it sure seems like a pickup with an empty bed would be it. I wonder if back in the 2005-2010 time frame if there was still real competition in the small(er) truck market if Toyota would have put the V8/AWD drivetrain from the FJC an 4Runner into the Tacoma. At the time Toyota was in full cruise control with the segment so there was no reason they had to try very hard.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice view. I could do with either a pop top or regular shell. I'd love a GFC, though.

While not perfect I do love my Wildernest...packs small and roomy when open. GFC would be nice...you could find a use topper while you wait. I never paid more than $150 for the ones I bought in the past. They were everywhere in AZ. Pickens are slimmer up here though

I do already have an open utility trailer. Maybe I should just enclose that, and use that in foul weather.

Clutch

<---Pass
Weight balance and traction makes the most sense. I'm not sure why no one has put all wheel drive into a pickup. If there's an application that seems ideal for it sure seems like a pickup with an empty bed would be it. I wonder if back in the 2005-2010 time frame if there was still real competition in the small(er) truck market if Toyota would have put the V8/AWD drivetrain from the FJC an 4Runner into the Tacoma. At the time Toyota was in full cruise control with the segment so there was no reason they had to try very hard.
Chevy had AWD in a the SS Silverado awhile back...and the GMC Cyclone.

phsycle

Adventurer
F150 has a pseudo-AWD as well--Auto 4WD. As I understand it, xfer case is engaged, but front hubs lock/unlock as needed.

phsycle

Adventurer
While not perfect I do love my Wildernest...packs small and roomy when open. GFC would be nice...you could find a use topper while you wait. I never paid more than $150 for the ones I bought in the past. They were everywhere in AZ. Pickens are slimmer up here though

I do already have an open utility trailer. Maybe I should just enclose that, and use that in foul weather.

For $150, I would pick one up right now. There is a hi-rise Leer for a 1st Gen right now for $50. 3rd gen toppers are really rare around here. Most that do come up seem to be just slightly below retail. No thanks.

As long as you can get that trailer to the trailheads, why not? That'd be a super simple camper set up.

Clutch

<---Pass
Wasn't aware of those trucks being AWD. And cycling the hub lock is so Ford. There has existed transfer case differentials for like 30 years.

yep...more street racer boy trucks, but AWD none-the-less (sorry spelled Syclone *worng) edit again: and just realized I spelled wrong...wrong.. ha ha!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-non-lsx-powered/993752-05-silverado-ss-awd-sale.html

Some dude in France of all places tossed in the front diff off of one into a Chevelle...(another one of my all time favorite vehicles)

I should do this, and show up all those puffy jacket wearing Suby drivers at Whole Foods... :D:p

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/homebuilt-hero-alexandre-kielwassers-all-wheel-drive-71-chevelle/

2015-11-30_18-07-02-640x427.jpg

2015-11-30_18-05-25.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
For $150, I would pick one up right now. There is a hi-rise Leer for a 1st Gen right now for $50. 3rd gen toppers are really rare around here. Most that do come up seem to be just slightly below retail. No thanks.

As long as you can get that trailer to the trailheads, why not? That'd be a super simple camper set up.

Keep a lookout for trucks with shells. That is how I got my Wildernest, he didn't want to separate it at first, but I asked and he came around a couple weeks later..when the truck wouldn't sell.

The 5X8 seems about the perfect size for tooling around on the back roads...not too terrible to turn around either.

I "could" make it into a poptop so could park in carport. and better aeros. Main problem I have with a full height cargo...I have no where to park it. Either on the street or storage.

hmmmm....that might be the answer...super dirt bag cheap too. Maybe find a used Tonneau cover for the roof portion.

6b3f4e6eb5bbbcb0e293ca0cf959063b.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Keep a lookout for trucks with shells. That is how I got my Wildernest, he didn't want to separate it at first, but I asked and he came around a couple weeks later..when the truck wouldn't sell.

The 5X8 seems about the perfect size for tooling around on the back roads...not too terrible to turn around either.

I "could" make it into a poptop so could park in carport. and better aeros. Main problem I have with a full height cargo...I have no where to park it. Either on the street or storage.

hmmmm....that might be the answer...super dirt bag cheap too.

6b3f4e6eb5bbbcb0e293ca0cf959063b.jpg

Nice idea. I'll keep an eye out.

That enclosed trailer would be versatile and cheap. Right up your alley! Cot and maybe build up a fold-away shelf. Insta-camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven