Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice idea. I'll keep an eye out.

That enclosed trailer would be versatile and cheap. Right up your alley! Cot and maybe build up a fold-away shelf. Insta-camp.

Yeah it would....that might be the answer. Use what I already have. You can buy trailer parts...like the hinges and cam locks separately.

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-T...dsKaJIQetlt8ZK4GjDnNKGVuafmtHJFRoCYXMQAvD_BwE

I have a couple of those 24X48 folding tables already...plus a chuck box. think we are on to sumthing here! :)

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah it would....that might be the answer. Use what I already have. You can buy trailer parts...like the hinges and cam locks separately.

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-T...dsKaJIQetlt8ZK4GjDnNKGVuafmtHJFRoCYXMQAvD_BwE

I have a couple of those 24X48 folding tables already...plus a chuck box. think we are on to sumthing here! :)

View attachment 481569

View attachment 481567

Good thing is, you can still use it IF you end up with a new truck, or have a buddy pull the trailer. How much can you build one for?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
If those figures are correct, the 2UZ is ~50% heavier than the 1GR. I'd say that's a pretty significant. I just looked at my payload and it's at 990lbs. Adding in a 2UZ would mean it'd be down to 800lbs. I think that's lower than a Subaru Forester! Ouch.

Maybe the 4Runner got away with the weight as it's more balanced F/R. Truck is already front biased.

I get what you're saying, but honestly... Most people add more weight in bumpers/winches/sliders than what that difference would be. I'd like to get some real numbers, because I really don't know how accurate those really are.

Quick google:
2nd gen Taco - ~1,300lb payload
3rd gen Taco - ~1,100lb payload.

Obviously, different depending on which model you have.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I get what you're saying, but honestly... Most people add more weight in bumpers/winches/sliders than what that difference would be. I'd like to get some real numbers, because I really don't know how accurate those really are.

Quick google:
2nd gen Taco - ~1,300lb payload
3rd gen Taco - ~1,100lb payload.

Obviously, different depending on which model you have.

Yep, lots of add ons from people without regard to the payload. Really dumb, in my opinion. Think about this: Front ARB bumper weighs something like 150lbs. Basically the difference in the engine weights you listed. It adds enough weight were suspension components have to be changed out. From an OEM manufacturer's standpoint, that's a pretty significant difference. But that's just speculation and perhaps, in real life, it would've worked out ok. I'm sure having another option would've been good from a consumer stand point. Probably not for Toyota. Which is why it's no longer offered even in the 4Runner.

Payload, it seems like payload is about the same between the two generations. Maybe on paper it's different, but anecdotal experience tells me comparing that sticker in the door jamb, there is really no difference. Both are pretty low...

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Yep, lots of add ons from people without regard to the payload. Really dumb, in my opinion. Think about this: Front ARB bumper weighs something like 150lbs. Basically the difference in the engine weights you listed. It adds enough weight were suspension components have to be changed out. From an OEM manufacturer's standpoint, that's a pretty significant difference. But that's just speculation and perhaps, in real life, it would've worked out ok. I'm sure having another option would've been good from a consumer stand point. Probably not for Toyota. Which is why it's no longer offered even in the 4Runner.

Payload, it seems like payload is about the same between the two generations. Maybe on paper it's different, but anecdotal experience tells me comparing that sticker in the door jamb, there is really no difference. Both are pretty low...

Definitely an interesting topic. I think you're right that it wouldn't have made much sense for Toyota to offer the v8. Just wishful thinking.

Clutch

<---Pass
Good thing is, you can still use it IF you end up with a new truck, or have a buddy pull the trailer. How much can you build one for?

Yep, and it gets some gear out of the back of the truck too. Moto gear bag, tables, chuck box, cooler.

I'll have to add up the materials...rough guesstimate is $500-600 off the top of my end...so probably $1000. ;) Have buddy moving here in the spring up from Utah, who has an extra 5X10 enclosed that he may want to part with, that he said he would sell it on the cheap. May wait until then and take a look at it.

Found these...the idears are starting to roll now!

142d3afad0d390609bed602bb7f0576c.jpg

e4dffa58654c5bdbdc6627c2c7efd905.jpg

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
I *think* GM'S Auto-trac works the same way. Runs in RWD and the Front diff engages when the rears detect slippage.

Yup, Auto 4wd has been available since the mid or late 90s in GM stuff. That option engages front axle disconnect so the CVs spin, and uses two VSSs to detect a difference or speed between the front and rear driveshafts. When it senses that, it electronically engages a clutch in the transfer case. Its a bit clunky, and if you are hard on the throttle you feel it engaging harshly. Under normal or light throttle most people wouldn't notice it. My truck has 2wd, auto, 4 high, and 4 low. I've found most late model Chevys are equipped that way.

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch, you just hit on why I like the mini '84-'89 Toys so much.... ;)

My aunt and her best friend (same friend who's brother had that '83) bought of matching (except the color ) '86 regular cabs brand new together. When I was kid thought my aunt that lived in AZ that drove a Toyota truck was the coolest. Between those 3 is why I headed down the Toyota road. She still is my favorite aunt, truck is gone but she still is in the Toyota family, has a Scion of some sort. My mom has a Rav4, and step dad a Highlander.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yep, and it gets some gear out of the back of the truck too. Moto gear bag, tables, chuck box, cooler.

I'll have to add up the materials...rough guesstimate is $500-600 off the top of my end...so probably $1000. ;) Have buddy moving here in the spring up from Utah, who has an extra 5X10 enclosed that he may want to part with, that he said he would sell it on the cheap. May wait until then and take a look at it.

Found these...the idears are starting to roll now!

142d3afad0d390609bed602bb7f0576c.jpg

e4dffa58654c5bdbdc6627c2c7efd905.jpg

Pre-built seems like a better option. Cheaper option, anyway. That's a good size. I think I'd be fine with a 4x8 as well. Cheaper, lighter and easier to pull.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yup, Auto 4wd has been available since the mid or late 90s in GM stuff. That option engages front axle disconnect so the CVs spin, and uses two VSSs to detect a difference or speed between the front and rear driveshafts. When it senses that, it electronically engages a clutch in the transfer case. Its a bit clunky, and if you are hard on the throttle you feel it engaging harshly. Under normal or light throttle most people wouldn't notice it. My truck has 2wd, auto, 4 high, and 4 low. I've found most late model Chevys are equipped that way.
They are. Most of the GM trucks / Suv's I've owned have had it. And you can get it on lower trim levels too. Something I wish Ram and Ford would offer on lower trims.... I think you need to get into the leather froofy trucks before the Auto 4x4 modes show up....

Clutch

<---Pass
This picture made me miss my 1st Gen. Such nice lines. I'll admit I'm not in love with your ARB front. Otherwise, great set up.

Why am I looking at 1st Gen's on craigslist????

I don't like the ARB either, but it isn't on there for looks though.

Ha ha, sometimes I think I need 2 of them. One built out for exploring and a stock one for commuting. Hey now! There is a thought!

IMG_1405.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Pre-built seems like a better option. Cheaper option, anyway. That's a good size. I think I'd be fine with a 4x8 as well. Cheaper, lighter and easier to pull.

Just the labor alone would worth it. 4X8 gets a little tight with 2-3 bikes in there. Even 5X8 is a squeeze.

Cozy_in_the_trailer.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven