Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

tacollie

Glamper
Tents are less than ideal in hard rain. Ours does fair with minwax and seam sealer but if you are opening and closing with multiple days off rain you're boned.

Clutch

<---Pass
Tents are less than ideal in hard rain. Ours does fair with minwax and seam sealer but if you are opening and closing with multiple days off rain you're boned.

Soon as you close it, the mattress is doomed...

...then coming home having to dry it out. I don't always have the time.

Love the darn thing, but it does have its' pitfalls.

Really liked the Quickup Camper design. Low profile when closed, stealthy, but a hard roof. Too bad nothing came of it though.

Quickup-Camper-folded-down.jpg

da6cdb7003f5d98974f3027828e03b3e.jpg

PHOTO-1-Quickup.jpg

quickupcamperinterior.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks to global warming/climate change/icecapmelt/etc. we usually don't have to deal much with rain. If I lived in Pac Northwest, back east, I would be more concerned about it. But I really can't remember having had to dry out the tent after coming home from a campout in the last 10 years.

Soon as you close it, the mattress is doomed...

...then coming home having to dry it out. I don't always have the time.

Love the darn thing, but it does have its' pitfalls.

Really liked the Quickup Camper design. Low profile when closed, stealthy, but a hard roof. Too bad nothing came of it though.

Quickup-Camper-folded-down.jpg

da6cdb7003f5d98974f3027828e03b3e.jpg

PHOTO-1-Quickup.jpg

quickupcamperinterior.jpg

As cool as that thing is.......nah. Way too complex and honestly.....hideous.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks to global warming/climate change/icecapmelt/etc. we usually don't have to deal much with rain. If I lived in Pac Northwest, back east, I would be more concerned about it. But I really can't remember having had to dry out the tent after coming home from a campout in the last 10 years.

As cool as that thing is.......nah. Way too complex and honestly.....hideous.

I kinda like those A-Frame popup campers, probably why I like it.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/camping-trailers/rockwood-hard-side-pop-up-campers

ImageHandler.ashx

tacollie

Glamper
I like the OVRLND camper. I also like the Vagabond. I can't justify spending the money since I already have a Flippac. As janky as the Flippac is we still like it.

phsycle

Adventurer
I keep thinking of the longevity and maintenance upkeeps of pop tops. I know more than a few that have ruined fabric from improper storage or it just simply wearing out after a bit. I do how lightweight they are though.

Clutch

<---Pass
I keep thinking of the longevity and maintenance upkeeps of pop tops. I know more than a few that have ruined fabric from improper storage or it just simply wearing out after a bit. I do how lightweight they are though.

She likes them, and had one for awhile...they do seem like a pain in the butt though. Thought a conventional enclosed trailer with dual tip outs might be a good compromise.

I like the OVRLND camper. I also like the Vagabond. I can't justify spending the money since I already have a Flippac. As janky as the Flippac is we still like it.

Those are super cool, I can't justify the price either. So for me being the thrifty dirt bag that I am, it is either enclosing my 5X8' trailer or see what my buddy will sell his 5X10 enclosed for, when he moves up here in the spring. Love the 'Nest but just use it for fair weather camping. It is kinda like being in a tree house. Love that about it.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I was looking at those FWC's, particularly the woolrich model. I was thinking hey the flatbed version is pretty cool, until I saw the price. It said 47k, I should've called and asked how much it is w/o the truck....

Clutch

<---Pass
I was looking at those FWC's, particularly the woolrich model. I was thinking hey the flatbed version is pretty cool, until I saw the price. It said 47k, I should've called and asked how much it is w/o the truck....

I don't think that includes the flat bed either.

Don't get much square footage for the dollar with a slide-in. Pretty much ruins the truck for off-pavement exploring too.

Trailers look better and better. No matter what @phsycle says! ;) :p :D

Keep on eyeballing my neighbor's 19' Jayco Baja and his new Tundra. Guy down the street just brought home a Mag Grey double cab, it is pretty sharp looking. Passes everything but gas stations I am told.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2019-jay-flight-slx-7-west/195rb/

Under $20K and actually have some room to move around in.

5439-Jay%20Flight%20SLX%207%20West%20175RD_Side-Profile_web.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
@Clutch You’ll need more than your Taco to pull that behemoth. :D

Pulling that would be far worse than a full-size Alaskan.

He had a DCSB Taco...it looked miserable just towing it down the street. He probably towed it 3-4? times with the Taco...then the Tundra showed up.

I have towed much heavier...that 19' Jayco would be a cake walk behind a F150, with a F250 wouldn't even know it was back there. Used to tow a JD 555. Not the biggest machine, but not the lightest thing either. Looked up the specs, it was 21'000 lbs. Can't remember how heavy the tilt bed trailer we used to haul it on weighed. Towed it with a Mack R-Series Tri-Axle dump (used to have a CDL)...it has been some years, but everything else feels easy to me. When we moved up here, I rented a 26' Bobtail International....biggish vehicle. Thought I may of forgot how to drive something that big, but it was like riding a bike.

12046.jpg

10491222_10152619460064630_1523248121095650589_n.jpg

Found these, they are kinda nice. Even have a toyhauler version.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/flagstaff-e-pro

ImageHandler.ashx

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
The Forest River Inc. Website is so bad. Clicking back redirects you to the main page instead of back to floorplans. So stupid

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I don't think that includes the flat bed either.

Don't get much square footage for the dollar with a slide-in. Pretty much ruins the truck for off-pavement exploring too.

Trailers look better and better. No matter what @phsycle says! ;) :p :D

Keep on eyeballing my neighbor's 19' Jayco Baja and his new Tundra. Guy down the street just brought home a Mag Grey double cab, it is pretty sharp looking. Passes everything but gas stations I am told.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2019-jay-flight-slx-7-west/195rb/

Under $20K and actually have some room to move around in.

5439-Jay%20Flight%20SLX%207%20West%20175RD_Side-Profile_web.jpg
There's a couple i know who pull one off those with a tacoma. That trailer had way more clearance than the tacoma. Seemed silly to me because they never took it on a rough road and could barely back it into a camping spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven