Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Same issue on both sides?

This is going to sound like a dumb suggestion, but...

When I bought my first set of sliders in... 1997-ish. I had to bolt on the front mount first. If I did the middle and rear mounts, the front one didn't line up for some odd reason. I can't explain why - one bolted up front first, everything lined up just fine - but...maybe?

Yes, same both sides. I was finally able to get a hold of the company. He suggested loosening the top bolt so I could pivot the lower tab to sit flush with the cross member. Drill the hole and bolt it up, then tighten the upper bolt. Hope that works.

Actually, I am wondering if that would cause the crossmember to bend? Should I try to bend the tab first to get it close enough, then bolting it on?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
90% of shark attacks happen in only 3' of water, no ******** because that's where the people are!

Loose quote from Bill Burr.

Clutch

<---Pass
@DaveInDenver sorry wasn’t trying to be a butthead. Was running out the door and probably could of worded it better.

I use emotion to make rational financial decisions. ;) The 3rd Gen is much safer than my POS, but not so much I feel like I need to run out and buy one.

We can look at statistics all day long and worry about safety...but part of why we go out and explore is to scare ourselves so we feel alive.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yes, same both sides. I was finally able to get a hold of the company. He suggested loosening the top bolt so I could pivot the lower tab to sit flush with the cross member. Drill the hole and bolt it up, then tighten the upper bolt. Hope that works.

Actually, I am wondering if that would cause the crossmember to bend? Should I try to bend the tab first to get it close enough, then bolting it on?
On my Mobtown that part of the mount had a small gap, like 1/16", that pulled up tight. That to me looks like an issue with their jig or weld procedure (e.g. order of welds to minimize warping). But like @bkg says, you usually have to figure out the jigsaw with a few loose fasteners so before I would accuse anyone of poor workmanship for real I'd wiggle and jiggle to see if it's just not lining up.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@DaveInDenver sorry wasn’t trying to be a butthead. Was running out the door and probably could of worded it better.

I use emotion to make rational financial decisions. ;) The 3rd Gen is much safer than my POS, but not so much I feel like I need to run out and buy one.

We can look at statistics all day long and worry about safety...but part of why we go out and explore is to scare ourselves so we feel alive.
But you are butthead, so I barely thought twice. We've all impulsed bought with our heart and not our head. I buy lots of music and that ain't on logic. I likes what I likes. But, yeah sure, logically I know the truth is old trucks weren't as safe. So it's about managing risk in places you don't feel it's necessary to take risk. It's like I was saying, if I die skiing that's OK by me but in some collision in rush hour traffic. What a waste. If they made ABS and airbags optional I can't honestly say I wouldn't buy them anyway. I dunno. My insurance rate when down when I replaced the '91 with my '08 and that's due to mainly cold, hard data that your risk of injury and death is lower.

Clutch

<---Pass
But you are butthead, so I barely thought twice. We've all impulsed bought with our heart and not our head. I buy lots of music and that ain't on logic. I likes what I likes. But, yeah sure, logically I know the truth is old trucks weren't as safe. So it's about managing risk in places you don't feel it's necessary to take risk. It's like I was saying, if I die skiing that's OK by me but in some collision in rush hour traffic. What a waste. If they made ABS and airbags optional I can't honestly say I wouldn't buy them anyway. I dunno. My insurance rate when down when I replaced the '91 with my '08 and that's due to mainly cold, hard data that your risk of injury and death is lower.
What I do for fun is fairly dangerous...so I guess I am not that concerned about vehicle safety like you guys are, even if the data is stacked against me. Driving in traffic feels pretty benign to me. Even though there are loads of knuckleheads out there. Doesn’t even come close to off road motorcycle riding and racing.

Having the latest and greatest cager safety gizmos isn’t real high on the list of priorities.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
How do you get the boat down? Not that it matters its been hand polished the water would get it dirty. I bet that old man has a tall shop he stores that rig in.

phsycle

Adventurer
How do you get the boat down? Not that it matters its been hand polished the water would get it dirty. I bet that old man has a tall shop he stores that rig in.

Looks like the whole thing lowers. The can then simply slide the boat off. Or they make contraptions to lower it. I saw it on one of the 4WD Action youtube video.

Clutch

<---Pass
Love those old Alaskans. Stick it on a vintage Ford and we're good.

Camper Paradise did a restoration of one that I am digging.

https://campereparadise.com/alaskan-camper-64-nco/

Leaky SOB's but I do have access to a killer wood shop. Retired guys need a hobby to do in the winter right? Think you're just better off building one from scratch? Buy a cheap old beater and use it as a template.

Make mine a Crew Cab and a 7 foot Alaskan.

8-foot-cabover-alaskan-ford-truck.jpg

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of the fiberglass versions.

'glass is such a pain to work with though over wood.

008-vintage-campers-overlanders.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven