Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
Those things have got to weight 2k lbs.
Ungawdly heavy.

I love the "idea" of an Alaskan...but probably would never own one. Converted cargo trailer into a poor man's toyhauler makes the most sense for what I like to do.

phsycle

Adventurer
Ungawdly heavy.

I love the "idea" of an Alaskan...but probably would never own one. Converted cargo trailer into a poor man's toyhauler makes the most sense for what I like to do.

Even if I had a 3500, I'd hate to haul around that much weight. Yup, just a bare camper shell for me.

Clutch

<---Pass
Even if I had a 3500, I'd hate to haul around that much weight. Yup, just a bare camper shell for me.

I like my full height trailer idea...but don't have anywhere to put it. Don't want to pay for storage...could stick out on the street, however I have the front landscaping done up fairly nice...would be a shame to park a trailer in front of it, plus would make the house look trashy. Do like the house looking nice.

Could raise the height of the carport, but that is whole other can of worms. Or make my open trailer into a popup enclosed so it fits under the carport. Popup camper on the truck might more sense...heck, I dunno. All this time trying to figure out the "right" solution...you would think I would have it solved by now.

Maybe a full restoration of the Wildernest with a new waterproof tent portion?

Never satisfied! ;):p:D

Have been following Wee Roll on FB...I like this.

https://www.facebook.com/weeroll/?_...QvjNuzXXT62u0aJnqzQveD-&__tn__=k*F&tn-str=k*F

45505000_1931268487177781_5245136846400258048_n.jpg

45513728_1931258340512129_6349302165730754560_n.jpg

45634183_1931258350512128_5352148559330279424_n.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've considered this but anything waterproof (such as a Goretex or equivalent) is either unsuited due to thinness/lightness of the material (e.g 2L and 3L intended for jackets) or beyond ridiculously expensive in a tougher laminate or stiff like a Tyvek (which isn't designed to flex so cracks and weeps). Even now in the Age of Plastics that plain old 800 denier urethane coated nylon is about the right material for the task. You can use lighter material, maybe with a rain fly, or expensive single layer. The only variable here is breathability that the coated nylon can't touch.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've considered this but anything waterproof (such as a Goretex or equivalent) is either unsuited due to thinness/lightness of the material (e.g 2L and 3L intended for jackets) or beyond ridiculously expensive in a tougher laminate or stiff like a Tyvek (which isn't designed to flex so cracks and weeps). Even now in the Age of Plastics that plain old 800 denier urethane coated nylon is about the right material for the task. You can use lighter material, maybe with a rain fly, or expensive single layer. The only variable here is breathability that the coated nylon can't touch.

That is the issue I run into, can't find a material I like.

What I do now is use a plain ol' cheap plastic blue tarp from the hardware store. Do have a rainfly for my hammock, but like you said I have to guy it above the camper so it doesn't touch. Which is a pain in the neck getting it up that high.

Having a hard roof popup is probably a better solution, but not a cheap solution. Like the OVRLND the best out of all them. I must since I talk about it the most. Not sure if it makes sense getting one made for such an old truck. [and here is the snow ball effect] If you're going to do that, it should go on a new truck. Not that safety is too much of a concern...some of that nannying stuff of a new truck would be welcomed. Like backup cameras and lane warning. Don't know if it is my age or what, seems like no matter how times I check my blind spots...someone always sneaks in there.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

I know the answer is yes but gotta ask - have you seam sealed it? A lot of people don't know to do that.

It's not necessarily obvious but since the waterproof coating is on the inside of the fabric the tent will get wet, it's just not supposed to leak through. If the tent seams aren't sealed water will percolate through the holes where the urethane was poked by the sewing needle. The reason the inside is coated is urethane is highly susceptible to UV so it would fail really fast otherwise.

Clutch

<---Pass
I know the answer is yes but gotta ask - have you seam sealed it? A lot of people don't know to do that.

It's not necessarily obvious but since the waterproof coating is on the inside of the fabric the tent will get wet, it's just not supposed to leak through. If the tent seams aren't sealed water will percolate through the holes where the urethane was poked by the sewing needle. The reason the inside is coated is urethane is highly susceptible to UV so it would fail really fast otherwise.

Yep

The material itself gets saturated after it has been raining for a while.

That boat canvas waterproofing product will ruin it, right?

DaveInDenver

I couldn't say. Marine canvas is usually cotton or vinyl. I'd think stuff intended for cotton would expect to saturate the fibers and wouldn't do that with nylon but perhaps something for vinyl would? My guess is unfortunately once the tent material loses the urethane layer it's done. I have had some luck spot repairing using the brush on silicone goo you use for sealing tent floors but to do that on a whole tent would be tedious.

Are you sure it's not just condensation? Since it's not a breathable material in high humidity mine will drip. It's ultimately no different than throwing a tarp over in that respect. It's an imperfect world by friend.

Clutch

<---Pass
I couldn't say. Marine canvas is usually cotton or vinyl. I'd think stuff intended for cotton would expect to saturate the fibers and wouldn't do that with nylon but perhaps something for vinyl would? My guess is unfortunately once the tent material loses the urethane layer it's done. I have had some luck spot repairing using the brush on silicone goo you use for sealing tent floors but to do that on a whole tent would be tedious.

Are you sure it's not just condensation? Since it's not a breathable material in high humidity mine will drip. It's ultimately no different than throwing a tarp over in that respect. It's an imperfect world by friend.

Definitely not condensation. Was in a torrential down pour for 3 straight days in the spring. The material was soaked. I thought it would of been fine, since I have been in light rain before and it was ok...being awaken at 3:00 am soaked wasn't fun. Then trying to toss a tarp on at that time was also a joy. After the tarp was on, turned on the heater and got it dry out somewhat..took about 6 hours or so.

Why I keep on looking at trailers, so I don't have to deal with that any longer. Want to open a door and be done.

phsycle

Adventurer
I like my full height trailer idea...but don't have anywhere to put it. Don't want to pay for storage...could stick out on the street, however I have the front landscaping done up fairly nice...would be a shame to park a trailer in front of it, plus would make the house look trashy. Do like the house looking nice.

Could raise the height of the carport, but that is whole other can of worms. Or make my open trailer into a popup enclosed so it fits under the carport. Popup camper on the truck might more sense...heck, I dunno. All this time trying to figure out the "right" solution...you would think I would have it solved by now.

Never satisfied! ;):p:D

Have been following Wee Roll on FB...I like this.

https://www.facebook.com/weeroll/?_...QvjNuzXXT62u0aJnqzQveD-&__tn__=k*F&tn-str=k*F

45505000_1931268487177781_5245136846400258048_n.jpg

45513728_1931258340512129_6349302165730754560_n.jpg

45634183_1931258350512128_5352148559330279424_n.jpg

Landscape, schmandscape. Build a nice 15x30 slab and park your trailer there.

Me, I still like the bare camper shell idea. Everyday useable, fast camp set up.

But that’s for retirement. Loving the ground tent for now. Thinking about getting one of those wood stoves for late fall early spring camping.

Clutch

<---Pass
Landscape, schmandscape. Build a nice 15x30 slab and park your trailer there.

Me, I still like the bare camper shell idea. Everyday useable, fast camp set up.

But that’s for retirement. Loving the ground tent for now. Thinking about getting one of those wood stoves for late fall early spring camping.

Ha ha, the better half suggested I do that, but I refuse to redneck the place up. I grew up with machinery and materials strewn about the property.

Those woodstove scare me. And I grew up heating our house with wood...maybe that is why they scare me, especially in a tent or camper. Have a Mr Heater, but that thing scares me too...won't run it while I sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven