Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

tacollie

Glamper
Speaking of all things expo. All the decked out Sprinters and Promasters make me think the Tacoma is over with the expo crowd. Maybe I'm just hoping. There are a lot of high roof Vans with roof racks in Colorado these days.

Clutch

<---Pass
You know, I have been searching for a topper since I bought my truck. I had been looking for just a cab height since I thought that looked so much better, especially on a double cab. But last couple of days, I'm really liking the hi-rise. It'd be nice, especially if I end up building a sleeping platform. I have a short bed, and I'm about 5'11", but I can sleep diagonally.

Ram's have really grown on me as well. Forest Service uses them around here. The Tradesman model with steel wheels. I do think in the stripped down version, Ram's look the best--simple and rugged look.

I wonder instead of that camper shell you posted a while back on fullsize trucks, if a simple hi-rise topper would work almost as well, while keeping the weight and cost down. Hmmm.

IMG_4413_zpslkqkwb8i.jpg
There is a RCLB Ram Ecodiesel that I see running around here from time to time...minimal lift in the front if any. Upgraded AT tires, topper...it looks pretty sweet. 30 mpg sounds awfully enticing...however that whole out of warranty repair cost scares me....think a NA V6 would be more than enough.

Know I posted this a couple times...but you can see there is plenty of room to sit up and use a micro stove, to boil water, whatever...dude looks pretty smug with his setup.

toyota-tacoma-overlander-sleeping-deck-999x666.jpg

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The sliders and bumper look alright but I'm just losing interest in the tube work bed bars with every farkle bolted that is "overland". Dude is ready for a night clubbing or the Darien Gap. Whatever.
Basically that truck is now worthless for every day truck duty. I guess it would be OK if you park the trucks in an airplane hangar and only use it for "expeditions"...lol

Clutch

<---Pass
I've of the same mind @phsycle. Craigslist mid height and round halogen IPFs!

Although I did just sell the topper last week to commit to getting the 'Nest back on. Mistake? Perhaps. But it was only supposed to be a temp solution until I could get the camper moved. Instead I think it lured me into slack since that was 3 years and 10 months of "temp" and I moved the WilderNest storage location twice...

View attachment 481432

I sold my topper with the first Nest...then had to buy another when I sold that...and kept it with this second one. Luckily, we do have a carport off the garage where I hang it from.

Speaking of all things expo. All the decked out Sprinters and Promasters make me think the Tacoma is over with the expo crowd. Maybe I'm just hoping. There are a lot of high roof Vans with roof racks in Colorado these days.

Hope so! Maybe it will bring down the crazy resale prices.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Basically that truck is now worthless for every day truck duty. I guess it would be OK if you park the trucks in an airplane hangar and only use it for "expeditions"...lol

Pretty much...I feel a little goofy daily driving my truck with an ARB and a Wildernest....though I think the ARB is needed more in an urban environment than anything...millennial phone zombies can ping off it when they won't look both ways when they cross the street. I can't tell you how many times I have had those idiots step out in front of me while driving around town...I won't even go near the university.

I am like "Dude! Who do you think is going to win here!?":D

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
There is a RCLB Ram Ecodiesel that I see running around here from time to time...minimal lift in the front if any. Upgraded AT tires, topper...it looks pretty sweet. 30 mpg sounds awfully enticing...however that whole out of warranty repair cost scares me....think a NA V6 would be more than enough.

Know I posted this a couple times...but you can see there is plenty of room to sit up and use a micro stove, to boil water, what ever...dude looks pretty smug with his setup.

toyota-tacoma-overlander-sleeping-deck-999x666.jpg

Or the 5.7 Hemi. Seems like a pretty solid engine. Too bad no manual option. I’d even take the 6.4 Hemi.

I wouldn’t mind good MPG with the diesel, but with the large tanks the new trucks come with, it’s not really a deal killer. But my ideal combo comes with a diesel. Combined with a mind blowing 74 gal tank, I could drive half way across the country before needing to refuel.

phsycle

Adventurer
I've of the same mind @phsycle. Craigslist mid height and round halogen IPFs!

Although I did just sell the topper last week to commit to getting the 'Nest back on. Mistake? Perhaps. But it was only supposed to be a temp solution until I could get the camper moved. Instead I think it lured me into slack since that was 3 years and 10 months of "temp" and I moved the WilderNest storage location twice...

View attachment 481432

Wish I could find a topper like the one you’ve got. Slim pickins here. New ones are $2.5k. Can’t stomach spending that much. I’d rather just spend $2.5k more for a GFC.

Just spent the day helping my neighbor purchase a 2016 Ram Ecodiesel Tradesman at a local dealer. He needed to replace his '92 3/4 Dodge Cummins which he totaled after having put 400K on it since new. He's got a 23' Airstream to tow, and didn't know the Ecodiesel existed. Without my prompting, he tried the Toy dealer first and was less than impressed with the Tundra. Tacoma was a non-starter due to lack of towing capacity.

I'm not a fan of full size, but I'm impressed with the Ram and Ecodiesel engine. We pulled 22 mpg over the 40 miles back home, really smooth ride for an empty pickup, and more than adequate acceleration. I doubt he'll take it off-road, but it will be interesting to see how it pulls his 6000# trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven