Collection of Trailer Builds

EWS

Observer
Light trailer/general purpose/off road capable build.

Link- http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64134-First-Trailer-Build

Ok, first of all thanks to this site for the inspiration to build a trailer, with off road capabilities, also thanks to ‘Johnny's' post on ‘Wild Yoats 4x4 Forum' whose trailer build really got me going. A simple leaf sprung trailer build, a KISS design, it suited my idea.

Link:- http://www.wildyoats.com/off_road_trailer_build.htm

I am UK based so terminology/ect may not be the same as US style., any queries ask and I will try to clarify .

Right. So what have I built. A few specs. This is a 750 Kg max weight trailer, unbraked with a 50mm ball hitch, unladen weight 240 Kg's , to comply with the UK's Class 01 Light trailer regs.

Chassis rails and drawbar- 75 x50 x 3mm rectangular box

Tub size- 1mt x 1.5mt

Tub uprights- 50 x 25mm box (second user steel)

Top rail- 25 x 25mm box (second user steel)

Side cladding and floor- 3mm aluminium

Axle- 45mm square steel bar, rated @1500Kg's

Hubs- 6.5 inch PCD unbraked to suit 16 inch Land Rover wheels

Wheel rims- 16 inch Land Rover Boost Alloys

Tyres- Cooper Discover S/T Maxx ,235/85 R16 @ 18 PSI tyre pressure

Mudguards/fenders- to suit 16 inch tyres, standard plastic UK trailer replacement item, have since found truck trailer items to suit 18 inch wheels, these would be a better fit.

Leaf springs- (as purchased) 30 inch length x 2inch width x 11/32nd thick, double eyes, 3 leave's@ 900Kg a pair.( the lightest I could find, new from UK trailer suppliers)

Leaf springs – (as used at the present) 2 leave's of pack, with the bottom leaf removed. ( will try single leaf !!!!)

Thing to yet find and fit- Axle bump stops, as the old series Land rover ones I planed to use were to large. Change lights to LED units when funds become available.

Any questions/queries please ask, and comments welcome.

Attachments

• Woodend lane from Hill 2.jpg
    Woodend lane from Hill 2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Woodend Lane from Hill village.jpg
    Woodend Lane from Hill village.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 321.1JPG.jpgHere's my little 4' Harbor Freight trailer that I modified (see thread below). It pulls very nicely behind my four cylinder TJ Jeep. I wish someone made a diamond plate aluminum M-416 replica tub with a 41" x 50" base and about 22" tall. It would be a bolt-on affair for these little 4' trailer frames. Any diamond plate tool box makers out there, or builders of diamond plate hunting dog boxes for pick-up trucks that are interested in expanding their product line? Think of it as making a big diamond plate tool box with a latching lid. Update 2014 - I had a box built, and extended the trailer's tongue (and put a cooler tray up front).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 320.1JPG.jpg

Attachments

• Trailer at school.jpg
    Trailer at school.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Trailer essentially done 022.JPG
    Trailer essentially done 022.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

TenGAUGE

I wish I would have done a build thread on my trailers as I started building them. I looked at several expedition style trailers and this is what I came up with. Unfortunately, I am selling the military style trailer. Here is my project.Jan 2012 011.jpgJan 2012 019.jpg

TenGAUGE

I forgot to show the inside of the trailer. Also the stove is on a roller system, so it slides in and out when I am ready to cook. There is a 3 lb propane bottle behind the cooler. I have had fun working on this trailer.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
RTTFolded1.jpg

RTTOpenSide1.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I forgot to show the inside of the trailer. Also the stove is on a roller system, so it slides in and out when I am ready to cook. There is a 3 lb propane bottle behind the cooler. I have had fun working on this trailer.

SAYS: "Embedding Disabled By Request"

kclark421

Observer
Hey All.

Here is my TD build, not sure if it will be truely EXPO worthy, but it was a fun build and can't wait to get out and about, also looking to tag along on a not too serious off road camping outing with local folks from SoCal. There is also a link to my blog below my signature, the blog also has links to some of my Youtube videos

1 blog photo 3-31-12.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Looks really nice behind your 4Runner, Ken. And that picture of the wood finish in the galley... :Wow1:

GalleyFinished.jpg

Very nicely done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues