Collection of Trailer Builds

CRJeepin

Observer
Looks awesome. How do you like the "low profile" lid? I am trying to decide if I should build a raised lid, or flat like yours. The extra room might be nice, but then the whole thing is getting taller by 4-6" and more top-heavy....can't decide!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Looks awesome. How do you like the "low profile" lid? I am trying to decide if I should build a raised lid, or flat like yours. The extra room might be nice, but then the whole thing is getting taller by 4-6" and more top-heavy....can't decide!

I currently have a tall lid (8" +/-) and will be going with a low profile lid next time around.

It's a bit top heavy (M416 trailer) with the SOA, but I'm running 31x10.5-15 tires w/ 3.75" BS wheels, so I've never had a tipping problem.

My problem is drag, between the lid, and the bars for the RTT, the RTT when closed is almost as tall as my Jeep tops.

I also like the look of the low profile better. And, I rarely have my trailer so full that I need the extra space the high lid provides.

SB5700

The low profile lid works great. I built it using "spars" instead of tubing for support across the top - it weighs 83 pounds (without paint). The primary reason it is "low profile" is that I was able to design it to be cut and bent from 1-sheet of metal, including the spars - no seams on the top, except on the corners.

Trailer top - tongue 001-C.jpg

CRJeepin

Observer
Whoa! How the heck was that bent and cut from one piece of metal?! How much did it cost to have made? Sounds like a great way to do it!

SB5700

Whoa! How the heck was that bent and cut from one piece of metal?! How much did it cost to have made? Sounds like a great way to do it!

Overall dimensions are 56x72 - used a 5x9 sheet, waterjet cut, cnc bent - it has a nice profile. Used all of the 60 inch width. Cost, including the CAD design & material (excluding welding - I did that) was ~$250.

Profile.JPG

Last edited:

CRJeepin

Observer
Very cool!

I'm leaning towards a flat lid design....I already have 1" square, so will probably just make it out of angle and the square tubing.

TACO721

Observer
You and me both! Here's a more finished pic from the build.

rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass001-1.jpg

love that trailer. i want to build something kinda like it. i thought about doing a bed rack for my tacoma. but i like idea of trailer a little more. i got to thinking, if i got in a wreck or something going to the store or work i may lose all/some of it. trailer would stay parked most the time, and be save, also it could be towed by any truck or suv. i may get a FJ in 5 years idk...

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I am currently building a newer model of this trailer, take a look at Old Sarges build thread.

Thanks for the comment, I am working hard to make the best off road Tear Drop available. We went into production on the 1st of June, just wrapping up the first trailer. www.aspenXtrails.co

Bob

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry, thanks for fixing it for me. My typing is not the greatest, but I think the key board misses sometimes to. It sometimes leaves out a whole word. Of course it could be all operator error. Most likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater