Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
How is that custom Gobi treating you? Any comments or issues so far?

Thanks!

Gobi rack is great! Very well built, sturdy and very useful. No regrets going with the custom flat rack. The full expanded metal deck can be a little difficult to strap things down to and can take some ingenuity. The rack is a little noisy but I'm sure most racks are. Overall, I'm very happy with it. Like I said, it's solid as a rock.

The only annoying thing is coming out of the house to find my 5 year old playing on the roof of the truck because he thinks it's fun to climb the ladder. Boys will be boys I guess.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
First, I'd like to apologize for my sabbatical and lack of updates. I refuse to blame it on life getting in the way but....
During my sabbatical, I learned that you MUST reserve dates weeks, if not months, in advance. Otherwise, the weeks will be filled with everything from cookouts to cocktail parties, church events to birthday parties. My exploring and camp weekends get filled with the very things I long to get away from. Lesson learned, I've already blocked off most of October for Expo East and Appalachian Rendezvous. :victory:

I found that my camp kit took entirely way too long to assemble. If I was single and camping solo, it'd be great. But, my two little camping comrades want to spend time with me at camp not just watch me set up and tear down the entire time. So, I set out to find a solution. Two things that needed to be addressed, the tent and the cots. I love the Kodiak Canvas and was reluctant to admit that the thing is huge, heavy and required more stakes than a family reunion at a Golden Corral. I picked up an ARB Awning Enclosure to use as my shelter. My thinking was, I can erect my awning in less than one minute. We can enjoy the shade/cover from the awning during the day, then just throw the enclosure on there just short of bedtime. Awesome idea but still needed to figure out the bed situation. The discobed bunk cots are fantastic but can be time consuming to build and down right frustrating when your camping comrades feel the need to jump on your back every time youre on you hands and knees. Also, needed something quick to just toss in the enclosure for bedtime. Picked up a few REI camp bed sleeping pads. The new kit worked flawlessly!! Can't tell how much time and frustration was shaved of with it. The enclosure allows you to access your vehicle from inside the tent...I had my sleeping pads, sleeping bags and pillows right there in that rear passenger door. Super simple!!

2016-04-15 18.42.10.jpg

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
So, onto the latest adventure...
We set out a little late on Friday afternoon. Got stuck in horrendous traffic so we decided to just stay the first night on our family property in Jacksonville. Kids didn't care, they had a blast! Saw three turkeys and a curious armadillo.

New setup worked great! It rained steadily the first night but we stayed bone dry. The REI 3.5 Camp Beds were really comfortable. We got the regular size and three fit perfectly side by side in the enclosure.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The next morning, we set for Ocala NF. Really pretty Old Florida landscape. Best way to get there, we found, was by ferry. We've taken the Ft. Gates Ferry a year or two ago and the kids just think it's coolest thing ever. Weather kicked up while underway, making the short water voyage a little dicier than I (and the ferry pilot) wouldve liked.
image.jpg

The view north from the ferry...
image.jpg

The view south from the ferry...:Wow1:
image.jpg

We ultimately made it across the river unscathed. Made use of the MotionX GPS app (awesome btw) and continued south squeezing through some pretty tight trails.
image.jpg

Stopped by Salt Springs for a quick dunk...72° water isn't bad but when you add 20mph winds with a 70° air temp...things got frigid. Didn't stop the boys though...
image.jpg

After we left the spring, we continued to explore as much of the forest as we could. I let boys pick whatever trail they though looked interesting and it got them engaged enough to put down the iPads.

Found a great remote spot to set up camp for the night. I prefer dispersed camping over the commercialized campgrounds. My crew gets loud and I want them to be able to have fun and be themselves. I don't want to have to yell at them to keep it down. Furthermore, I'd much rather look at trees than a Walmartian 10'away in the next camp site over.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
End of the day, a much needed and deserved Woodford Reserve. (More on my new Snow Peak addiction later :Wow1:)
image.jpg

Next morning, quick breakfast of Cheerios (kids) and coffee (me).
2016-04-17 07.35.44.jpg

Concluded the trip with more trail blazing. Terrain wasn't too wild but the trails offered all the peace and solace one could ask for. I wish we had the topography of some of the other states but we had a great time with the palmettos and sand. Until next time...
image.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I would agree with you on that point. On Expo you're definitely looking at the utility or offroad community, and on t4r you have a mix of people who put 22" rims on their limiteds, some who wheel and others who buy shrockworks everything, stage 5 icon suspension and 295/70 mud terrains so they can get to the mall in time.

Lol...one of the best explanations of tr4.org I've seen yet! Not that there aren't some good resources on that forum, but I have to agree that you're a lot more likely to find, shall we say, gear aficionados over there.

Great to see you on here Marshall!

Last edited:

mouse007

Explorer
First, I'd like to apologize for my sabbatical and lack of updates. I refuse to blame it on life getting in the way but....
During my sabbatical, I learned that you MUST reserve dates weeks, if not months, in advance. Otherwise, the weeks will be filled with everything from cookouts to cocktail parties, church events to birthday parties. My exploring and camp weekends get filled with the very things I long to get away from. Lesson learned, I've already blocked off most of October for Expo East and Appalachian Rendezvous. :victory:

I found that my camp kit took entirely way too long to assemble. If I was single and camping solo, it'd be great. But, my two little camping comrades want to spend time with me at camp not just watch me set up and tear down the entire time. So, I set out to find a solution. Two things that needed to be addressed, the tent and the cots. I love the Kodiak Canvas and was reluctant to admit that the thing is huge, heavy and required more stakes than a family reunion at a Golden Corral. I picked up an ARB Awning Enclosure to use as my shelter. My thinking was, I can erect my awning in less than one minute. We can enjoy the shade/cover from the awning during the day, then just throw the enclosure on there just short of bedtime. Awesome idea but still needed to figure out the bed situation. The discobed bunk cots are fantastic but can be time consuming to build and down right frustrating when your camping comrades feel the need to jump on your back every time youre on you hands and knees. Also, needed something quick to just toss in the enclosure for bedtime. Picked up a few REI camp bed sleeping pads. The new kit worked flawlessly!! Can't tell how much time and frustration was shaved of with it. The enclosure allows you to access your vehicle from inside the tent...I had my sleeping pads, sleeping bags and pillows right there in that rear passenger door. Super simple!!

View attachment 340304

Awesome idea, I keep wanting a RTT but man they are costly..!! Keep me posted next time you go, my family and I would love to join you guys. We are contemplating camping in St Pete some time next month, if you like I'll give you a heads up..

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Awesome idea, I keep wanting a RTT but man they are costly..!! Keep me posted next time you go, my family and I would love to join you guys. We are contemplating camping in St Pete some time next month, if you like I'll give you a heads up..

Absolutely!! Please let me know. I'd love to get together. I've contemplated the RTT but I feel like the cons outweigh the pros. Do you have any plans to attend Expo East or the Rendevezvous in October? There are a few of us in Jax that are planning to attend. If you want to caravan with us...we'd be happy to have you join. We still have some time to plan but planning makes all the difference.

mouse007

Explorer
Absolutely!! Please let me know. I'd love to get together. I've contemplated the RTT but I feel like the cons outweigh the pros. Do you have any plans to attend Expo East or the Rendevezvous in October? There are a few of us in Jax that are planning to attend. If you want to caravan with us...we'd be happy to have you join. We still have some time to plan but planning makes all the difference.

Awesome...!! I'll keep you in the loop. I am 100% committed to Overland Expo, I'm working on my schedule and saving up as we speak. Rendevezvous I can't, I have a business trip planed, will see if that changes....

On the RTT once you have it, it's hard to say you don't need it..!! LOL, but that could be do to the fact you bought it already..!! HAHAHAHAHA...!!! But no serious, all my buddys have them and its well worth it, fast setup and super comfy. I am on the hunt for a good deal...

Dalko43

Explorer
Not sure why the pics uploaded sideways. I'm not savvy enough to correct them. Can someone assist?

Every time I try to upload a pic directly from my computer, it posts sideways as well.

However, I did try posting one from an online image hosting site (Image shack, Google photos, ect.) and it posted just fine. Maybe give that a shot.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Awesome...!! I'll keep you in the loop. I am 100% committed to Overland Expo, I'm working on my schedule and saving up as we speak. Rendevezvous I can't, I have a business trip planed, will see if that changes....

On the RTT once you have it, it's hard to say you don't need it..!! LOL, but that could be do to the fact you bought it already..!! HAHAHAHAHA...!!! But no serious, all my buddys have them and its well worth it, fast setup and super comfy. I am on the hunt for a good deal...

I hear ya. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one of the Tepui Tents when a a fellow expo'er said REI had them and were offered with the REI 20% off discount, free shipping and REI points were redeemable. Hindsight, I kinda wish I'd broke down and bought one. No complaints with my current setup...very happy with it.

My beef with an RTT is how much real estate they take up on the roof. Plus, it's heavy enough that I'd need to leave it up there semi-permanently. I'd hate to drive around with it on my roof full time. Like you said too...the initial cost is up there. Sub $500 purchases are easier to fly under the wife's radar. When a $1,000+ item hits the Amex...it starts to raise eyebrows and starts to require explanations. :coffeedrink:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Every time I try to upload a pic directly from my computer, it posts sideways as well.

However, I did try posting one from an online image hosting site (Image shack, Google photos, ect.) and it posted just fine. Maybe give that a shot.

Thanks Dalko! I actually figured out a way to simply upload them directly from my iPhone. After horsing around with it for a few minutes...got it all figured out.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete