Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Box Rocket

Yeah man...fly casting for tailing redfish is an amazing thing. We miss out on the snook, permit and bonefish but we do have a cobia and tarpon season here in north Florida. Beginning in August, we get flood tides that flood the grass flats. Redfish, sheepshead and black drum will get into the flooded flats and just have an all out assault on the fiddler crabs. Tails and backs out of water and you can literally walk (i should say stalk) up within casting distance and sight cast to them with a crab fly....BOOM, it's on!

We have a cabin in McCall, ID that we go to at least once a summer/fall and we'll get after some rainbows, cutthroats and brownies.

I'm pumped about fall coming...

I grew up spending summers in McCall Idaho at Payette Lake. Such a cool place.

bogman2121

Kidding...it's great. I really need to get out for another trip for some proper pics. I will post them up as soon as I can break away. The springs I used are OME2885 and OME2889. Not sure if going with the 2884s up front would've made any difference but the front is obviously stiffer. The handling characteristics are far better both on road and off road...highway speeds and bumps. I love how the 4runner looks now...especially with the 255/75s.

Why did you go with the 2885s up front? Did you happen to get the spacer kit for the driver's side too?

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Why did you go with the 2885s up front? Did you happen to get the spacer kit for the driver's side too?

I went with the 2885s because I hope to put a bumper on at some point.

So basically:
-I was afraid the 2884s would need to be replaced once the bumper was installed. The 2884s are simply a shorter spring which results in a lower spring rate. Adding a bumper and/or winch would require me to definitely replace the 2884 springs with a stiffer spring.
-I thought the 2887s would just be sooo stiff and provide too much ride height (taller spring resulting in higher spring rate) while running the factory bumper. I was kinda worried about the 2885s being too high for my CVs without any additional weight up front....luckily, they're fine.
-so, I figured I'd shoot for middle-of-the-road. I'm very happy with my choice too. No regret. It rides almost level now. If I choose to add a bumper/winch...it'll give me a little more rake and I'm okay with that. I

I did add the trim packer. The night before the install, I researched the mess out of installing this kit. I found so many people complaining about a lean to the right (passenger side)...not the drivers side that ARB and everyone's says. I was convinced that the trim packer was needed on the passenger side "Aussie driver side" to account for this terrible lean that so many folks were experiencing. So, I installed the trim packer strut on the passenger side and my truck sits more level than it did stock. If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't even waste my time with the packer.

I can elaborate even more on my choice if needed but this is the jist of it. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Chiz45

Just found and read through your build thread, and I like your progress. Regarding the fridge, did you make any mods to power it, or do you just plug it into the outlet in the PS rear? does it remain powered throughout the night when you camp?

ebg18t

Adventurer
Just found and read through your build thread, and I like your progress. Regarding the fridge, did you make any mods to power it, or do you just plug it into the outlet in the PS rear? does it remain powered throughout the night when you camp?

It's best to run a heavier gauge wire than stock to reduce the voltage drop. Also run a line direct from the battery. I have a separate BlueSea plug using 8 or 10 gauge wires direct from the battery to plug my fridge into.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

Thanks, Chiz! I did exactly as recommended by ebg18t. I also dropped in a Diehard Platinum 31M battery. I ran the fridge on the factory Panasonic for about 8 months but the Florida summer was a little too much for the little battery.

It runs in my truck 24/7. Only time I take it out is when I know I'll be away from home for 3+ days. Easy enough to pull it out and plug it into a wall socket in the spare bedroom. Honestly, it's the best mod/gear to date.

It's best to run a heavier gauge wire than stock to reduce the voltage drop. Also run a line direct from the battery. I have a separate BlueSea plug using 8 or 10 gauge wires direct from the battery to plug my fridge into.

Chiz45

I'm also in a 5th gen, but with third row seating. Did you make or buy a tray for the new battery?

This thread is a curse; I now see a fridge as 'necessary' and I immediately scoured my local Craigslist for Rubicon tires!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I'm also in a 5th gen, but with third row seating. Did you make or buy a tray for the new battery?

This thread is a curse; I now see a fridge as 'necessary' and I immediately scoured my local Craigslist for Rubicon tires!

Chiz, so sorry for the delay in response. No battery tray alteration needed. Drop that beast in and never look back.

Camping and exploring have been slow going this year. Been super busy with life and scheduled family festivities. If given a few hours of free, I've been hitting the flats with the fly rod.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Awesome thread man! I am definitely interested, and will stay tuned!

Thanks!!

Hope to update this thread soon with some worthwhile material. Slowly getting to the point where we can venture out again. Been taking the kids camping on local family property in order to stay close to home. My youngest one is proving to be a home body much like his mother. Our past two camping trips have resulted in leaving camp in the wee hours of the morning to get back home ��.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online