"Combination" guns

jcbrandon

Explorer
A side-by-side shotgun with a rifle barrel underneath is called a "drilling." I don't think they were ever very popular in North America. I believe I read somewhere that combination rifle and shotguns were created partially due to restrictions on how many guns a person could own. Never shot one myself. Would like to try it.

HINO SG

Adventurer
A side-by-side shotgun with a rifle barrel underneath is called a "drilling." I don't think they were ever very popular in North America. I believe I read somewhere that combination rifle and shotguns were created partially due to restrictions on how many guns a person could own. .

yeah, grew up in the country, kind of around guns and hunting but just now taking an interest in the technical side of shooting.

Looking at the Baikal partly as a collector/recreational item but like the idea of a simple hunting/survival weapon. People on gun forums talk more about shotgun and large-caliber handgun combos for backcountry survial (trying to pack two long guns in the backcountry sounds excessive) but I like the over/under idea better.

there are a few similar American-made designs that are very primative and a couple more advanced designs (Valmet of Finland?) that are out of my price range.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
That Baikal is very similar to a series that Savage makes/used to make, the Model 24. I've had a 24C (Camper's special) for years and years, .22LR and 20 gauge, with a take-down barrel and case.

Sights were rudimentary (as on the Baikal) but within it's limitations, a fun little gun to shoot. And sub-caliber devices were (are?) available for the shot barrel that allows use of various lower powered centerfire cartridges.

The Baikal does have scope bases, and versions are available in 20 and 12 ga...

Figone

We have shot .22/410 over and under guns for as long as I can remember. My grandpa carried one all over the fish hatcheries here in Texas where he was the supervisor. Great for clearing out turtles or egrets that were eating the eggs/fish. All the ones we have had were breach-break designs with one shot each. Fun guns.

Riptide

Explorer
I have 2 of the Springfield Armory M6 Scouts, one in 22LR/.410, one in 22 Hornet / .410.

They get alot of looks at the range, being so basic and utilitarian. But I like them, and they serve their purpose. They fold almost in half, and if you pull out the hinge pin, come apart in two halves, and fit in your pack.

Shame they don't make them anymore, and when you do see one available, the sellers want big bucks...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I had a Savage 24 .22/.20 ga. like SunTzuNephew described, but mine didn't come with the canvas case. I bought it when I was a kid from a mail-order catalog. IIRC it was J C Penny, but might have been Wards or Sears...

But I sold it to a fellow Expo-er.

I bought it because I thought it would be a great small game gun (not have to waste a shotgun shell on a rabbit that wasn't running), but I hardly ever used it over the last ~35 years. Partly because it was so darned heavy, and partly because I was so disgusted by the fit and finish. Savage's quality really had some ups and downs over the years. I evidently bought mine on the one of the 'downs.' I also have a Savage 99 that was my grandfather's, and it is a beautiful gun.

Biggest reason I sold it was that I never used it and could put the money to good use.

SunTzuNephew mentioned scope rings. My 24C had grooves on the .22 barrel for a scope mount, but I don't think inexpensive rifle scopes wouldn't last long if you were using the shotgun.

Personally, I would rather carry a light .20 ga shotgun and a .22 pistol. And you could put a scope on the pistol without worry. With a good scoped .22 pistol I can shoot as well as with an un-scoped rifle.

Also, if you want a breakdown gun, the 24C is really nice. Riptide mentioned pulling the hinge pin on the M6 to break it down. On the 24's the forearm is held on my a spring mechanism, and just pulls off. When the forearm is off, the gun comes apart when you break it open.

Oh, and one more note on the Savage 24, They had several variations over the years, and there are a few things to look for (but I'm no expert, so verify for yourself):

1. Fully welded barrels. They offered some where the two barrels were only welded together at the ends of the barrels. Mine had them fully welded the length of the barrels, and I've read the partially welded ones may have problems.

2. Side lever. Some had top levers (for breaking them open), and from what I understand the side lever is a stronger mechanism.

3. Fit and finish, as I have mentioned before.

And Savage offered a lot of caliber/gauge combinations over the years. I stole the following off of another forum:

With the 20 gauge shotgun barrel the Savage 24 has appeared with the following rifle calibers: .22LR, .22 Mag, .222 Rem, 223 Rem., 22 Hornet and 30-30.

With the .410 caliber shotgun barrel the following rifle calibers have appeared: .22LR and .22 Mag

With the 12 gauge shotgun barrel the following rifle calibers have appeared: 22 Hornet, .222 Rem., .223 Rem., 30-30 and .308.

In addition, some of the newer 12 gauges came with a .410 insert. There was also a model available with a .357 rifle barrel but I'm not sure which one. Hope this helps.

Anything other than .22/20 or .22/.410 is probably difficult to find, though.

bucketosudz

Explorer
I have 2 of the Springfield Armory M6 Scouts, one in 22LR/.410, one in 22 Hornet / .410.

They get alot of looks at the range, being so basic and utilitarian. But I like them, and they serve their purpose. They fold almost in half, and if you pull out the hinge pin, come apart in two halves, and fit in your pack.

Shame they don't make them anymore, and when you do see one available, the sellers want big bucks...

X2 I own one as well. Great survival rifles and serve a distinct function. I made two additional tube magazines for mine.

HINO SG

Adventurer

that was my obsevation about the M6, expensive if you can find one.

what's up with the 22 Hornet? barely have heard of it untill now.

Lynn

Expedition Leader

TP-82 : Russian space pistol / shotgun / carbine / flare gun no longer being carried into space

Until today, since 1986, Soviet/Russian cosmonauts have carried an interesting three barreled pistol / carbine / shotgun into space!

picture-1-2.png

The Toz TP-82 has two side by side smoothbore barrels which fire 12.5mm shot shells and flares. The lower rifled barrel fires 5.45mm ammunition.

picture-2-2.png

The removable stock can be used as a machete. The gun weighs 2.4 kg without the stock.

That's really cool. But, why in the world did they carry it in space????

It would make a really cool survival or camping gun, but I see a couple of problems with having one of those in the US...

The shotgun barrels are probably too short to be considered legal. From the pix, I highly doubt if they are 18".

The stock makes it a rifle, not a pistol, so the rifle barrel is too short to be considered legal. Must be at least 16".

Heck, even the machete in the stock would probably be considered a concealed weapon.

Unless, of course, you could get one under a collector's license.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Found the answer to my question:

That's really cool. But, why in the world did they carry it in space????

wikipedia said:
The TP-82 pistol (Russian: ТП-82) is a triple-barreled Soviet firearm that was carried by cosmonauts on space missions.

It is intended as a survival aid to be used after landings and before recovery in the Siberian wilderness.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
The Baikal is a fine driling. Not the greatest quality, but just fine for frequent use; examples I've used were better than the Savage/Stevens models mentioned above.
It's on my long list of guns to buy, but towards the bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk