Compact Utility bed turned Expedition trailer (CUB)

brushogger

Explorer
Just curious. Do you know how much it currently weighs with the regular camper shell?
I'll bet you can shed 150 lbs with a regular axle and frame.

waterboy222

Adventurer
Im not sure of the weight right now. The other issue with the camper top is height. By the time I finish the lift and 35's it will be as tall as the jeep but narrower with a LOT of weight up top. Not particularly a good trait for an offroading camper. New welder just showed up so I'll be working on suspension, bumper, hitch and axle swap this week. HOping to finish it all up over thanksgiving break

waterboy222

Adventurer
New wheels are in... Had some family health problems the past few weeks. A cancer scare had everyone scrambling for tests and not everyone's came out good. I'm in the clear though so it's back to work on the trailer! Hoping to finish it up and ready for paint by this Sunday. Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waterboy222

Adventurer
4uhy3aby.jpg
app didn't post pic. Trying again

16" American outlaw buckshot wheels with 33x11.50's. Had to buy adapters because there's virtually zero Offroad wheel options for that axle

waterboy222

Adventurer
egujuhah.jpg

Jeep fenders are done.

mumyde7a.jpg

Most of the E-track bolted in. The right side will hold the propane tank. One track at the bottom and one at the top with an X configuration holding it to the wall. The other side will be used to secure any camping gear that won't fit in the compartments. Or maybe the spare if i decide against the swing out carrier.

e2arepuq.jpg

Stripped the axles of the heavy brake drums and components in an effort to shed a little weight.

6etyvy9e.jpg

Axle is out and having new spring perches welded on for the spring over conversion. This is a temporary fix until after the trip. I want to build a new frame with axle-less suspension and brakes that work.

waterboy222

Adventurer
The compartment on the right (with the bondo on the door) will be for all the electronics. When you open that door, there will be a carpeted panel inside that houses the CB radio, the stereo head unit, the switches for the compartment and interior bed LED lights and an inverter for charging phones or whatever you need, along with a bank of 12v outlets. There will be two 7.7 speakers stacked also for some tunes around the campfire. The solar panel charge controller will also be mounted in there. Hoping that the bulb-style weatherstripping shows up in the next couple of days to waterproof everything..

waterboy222

Adventurer
gabaqeby.jpg

a3u6yhu3.jpg

Wheels and tires are bigger than what I thought. Looks like lift blocks are in order. As much as I dislike that idea, I'm out of options short of custom leaf springs.

waterboy222

Adventurer
With summer temps easily topping 105, the trailer is still in my shop waiting for cooler weather to finish it up! The new frame is done, along with the rooftop tent rack. Hoping to use it for a trip to Colorado in October. Ill post more pics as the progress comes along.

The jeep doesn't like to tow quite as much as I had hoped it would. So the S-10 frame and axle has come out for something lighter and stronger, the front box is also gone and replaced with a rack to hold cooler/firewood/dirtbike..

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Only had the AC on 5 days this month! Best weather since the 60's and we'll top that this next week, highs in the low 80s. I've have too many projects ahead of hobby stuff, that's the way it is sometimes.
But, anything new Waterboy? It's July....
Grapevine says the next winter will be as bad or worse than the last one, better check the firewood now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues