conqueror compact

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks Bill

I did dig it up, I assume the numbers on the last page were correct and both bearings are Timkens.
Now I really want to go camping, too bad it's 12 degrees here!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I did dig it up, I assume the numbers on the last page were correct and both bearings are Timkens.
Now I really want to go camping, too bad it's 12 degrees here!

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the world of Off-Road trailers. You join a group that's small and friendly, price of admission is a trailer, we don't really care what the brand is.

When you are ready to re pack your bearings read http://www.atreport.com/bearing&hub.html Get an extra inner seal when you buy everything, sometimes they can be a pain to replace and bend in the process.

Very few moving parts on a trailer, so sorting the bearings out is essential.

Routine maintenance should be inspection of the coupler, brakes, and breakaway system. Checking bolts on the spring eyes, the U bolts on the spring/axle, and the coupler plate. Safety chains should be crossed beneath the draw bar.

The lug nuts need to be checked frequently on a new trailer as the studs have a tendency to stretch when new. Most manufacturers recommend when first picking the trailer up to checking the torque at 25 miles, 100 miles, and 250 miles. After that at regular service schedules.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks

Thanks Martyn,

Your posts on trailers is what got me excited about the idea in the first place. Thank you for your input on trailers in general and your company's product.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
The amount of individual knowledge continues to amaze me on this site. . .

I also made the leap concerning a Conqueror. (Down payment earlier this week; delivery Saturday). Obviously price played into this decision and shame on anyone who failed to conduct a review / assure due diligence on this or any product, let alone those for sale over the internet. I will say that based upon my personal investigations of the company in GA (Dean), those summaries found here on the Expo portal, and other 'net sources, I am convinced this is a sound financial decision (which will lead to years of enjoyment).

I don't recall who said what (and don't feel like scrolling to look just for the sake of quotes in this message), but I believe everyone's interests here are only in assuring that we continue to enjoy camping, trailers, etc. So whether it is a current year registration, or one asociated with a VIN from a prior year; whether the lamps need changing or rewiring, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because I went in to this with my eyes open and understand what I am purchasing. I don't expect anyone else to have to take responsibility for my actions and try to lay blame elsewhere. I will change the lamps, grease bearing, change batteries, and even patch a canvas or two if necessary. All because the sum of the parts purchased far exceed quality and assembly with anything I could do in an owner build or even a truly used unit.

So for the price, it will remain a great investment. And I say that from a perspective of mental health, not my checkbook.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey, Martyn, et al:

I was not in any way disputing what you have said about the DOT. All I was saying is that in Tennessee, I have no issues with the lights or the registration. I was told here that my trailer has two outside running lights that double as blinkers, and two lights that are brake lights (4 standard truck stop issue watertight hockey puck red lights) across the back. I also have four running lights on the outside corners, and the two on the rear sides also blink with the turn signals.
That said, I have noticed that on Bill's trailer, he has a different light set up than what I have seen on other Compacts.

I was able to get a 2008 title here because my local DMV stated that my bill of sale stated "assembled in 2008" on it.

As far as my statement about the trailer being bomb proof being misleading, ... that was truly not my intent. We all know that there has been plenty of posts about the handles being disappointing, etc. (however, I noticed on Bill's trailer that his compact did not have the handles that the Conquests have and hence would not have the same issues). My point was that these things were built to South African Army specs and they are virtually bomb proof in their design. To what Martyn said, ... there are hardly any moving parts to break!

As to someone getting kickbacks— you can forget that notion! I saw the original parts invoice for each trailer from 2002. For a Compact, Dean has $7500 in the unit for parts alone (not to mention the labor to assemble, the cost of warehousing, paper work processing, etc.). That he is liquidating them at this low price astounds me, as I thought I had negotiated a heck of a deal a year ago. Never would I have though you could get into one of these below 7K. I know for a fact that to import a Compact today from South Africa would cost you over $17,500.00.
He doesn't have money to throw kickbacks. I'll admit that my enthusiasm for the product has lead him to ask me to sell them for him on several occasions, but I am way too busy to take on any more.
I am however, happy to speak to folks about them, as I do love meeting other members on the board here and yapping about folks that share similar interests.

Martyn, I do appreciate your chiming in positively here. I think you understand that there is power in the masses regarding getting folks out on the road with 'adventure' style trailers. Soon, Dean will exhaust the supply of the Conquerors that are to be had in the States. We will all be on our own then, but also have rare trailers in the States (much like the NAS 110 I drive).

Jeff— put the 90 and Compact up for sale ... what ... you hit your head or something?

Dendy

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Great folks

Dendy,

Thanks again for taking the time to return my call and chat today...
Really made it a more comfortable decision, as Texasneisen said, this was spurred by price point, with my daughter in college and wife in grad school, I would not have pulled the trigger at this time were they not being liquidated...

As many folks have said the folks here are great!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
As to someone getting kickbacks— you can forget that notion!
Truth to sing, I spend nearly as much time pimping Adventure Trailers as I do Conquerors...
I can't tell you how many times I've provided the link to their site (and Outlander, of course).

Once you've made the transition to trailer camping, it's hard to imagine another way of camping. I still aspire to either Unimog/box or Earthroamer, but I'd still keep my trailer. A box on wheels would be nice for multi-day trips where I'm constantly on the move; but I'd always prefer the trailer for basecamp style camping where I head out in my Jeep daily to explore.

Congrats to all the lucky new owners. Due to your bargains, you are elected to bring the beer at the kickoff trip...

wesel123

Explorer
Ok so what the heck is the bearing number anyway???? the thread talking about them has a few different part numbers and suppliers....whats the real scoop boys???

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Truth to sing, I spend nearly as much time pimping Adventure Trailers as I do Conquerors...
I can't tell you how many times I've provided the link to their site (and Outlander, of course).

Once you've made the transition to trailer camping, it's hard to imagine another way of camping. I still aspire to either Unimog/box or Earthroamer, but I'd still keep my trailer. A box on wheels would be nice for multi-day trips where I'm constantly on the move; but I'd always prefer the trailer for basecamp style camping where I head out in my Jeep daily to explore.

Congrats to all the lucky new owners. Due to your bargains, you are elected to bring the beer at the kickoff trip...
Has the date / location of the Conqueror round-up been defined yet?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Has the date / location of the Conqueror round-up been defined yet?
I wish...

I'm still restricted because of the economy.
We get to peek at the financials next Tuesday --- maybe I can start planning then.
If the numbers are good, it's Moab. If they aren't, it's a local trip.
We're still looking at the last two weeks of May though.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I ended up trading the D-90 and LR3 for a Rangie.
And as much as we love that truck, we are thinking we would be equally as happy with a White/Tan 2004 Disco Series II for her (she drives less than 30 miles a week).
We'll see what happens.

Oh, and on the Axles, ... we found during the T-giving Boondoggle, that the axles on the Compacts if different than those on the Conquest and Base Camp.
Don't go by what you read unless you know which model a person has.

Thanks
Dendy
No, but my wife isn't as lenient as yours...I have to sell those toys first if I want to upgrade. Did you sell the D90 yet?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ok so what the heck is the bearing number anyway???? the thread talking about them has a few different part numbers and suppliers....whats the real scoop boys???
I'd have to grab the bearings from the back of the trailer to be sure...
But that doesn't mean it will match your axle anyhow. Conqueror used 4 different axles around that time period, all with different bearings...
I had a Dickens of a time matching these.

I'll try to remember to dig them out tomorrow.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Can't help myself!

Can't help myself Dendy,

Are you talking about the wife model or trailer?

"Don't go by what you read unless you know which model a person has.

Originally Posted by agavelvr View Post
No, but my wife isn't as lenient as yours...I have to sell those toys first if I want to upgrade. Did you sell the D90 yet?"

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I just send Dean the deposit, got a small loan and scheduled vacation for later this month to drive down and pick up my new Compact.... I did ask him to have a normal US plug and lights on the trailer since I am dragging it 900 miles home. I am excited or scared not sure which ; )

Congrats Jay. Any thoughts on where you're going to use it first?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
first use

anywhere you want to go... : )
I have to figure out the drive home, maybe I can stop over a night in GWNF or the Mon. whichever is easier to get off I-77

I am really excited to have the camp stuff ready to go and could head out for even just a week-end without unloading the week day tools from the truck, bringing the camp stuff up from the basement, and reverse the process two days later!

It looks like we are planning a two week tour of the east coast (Uwarrie, Outer Banks, GWNF, the Mog and ending at the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic) in July. I would love to do the NE World tour event in May too, but that might be solo... but a great test of the trailer on the trail...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk