conqueror compact

fubar

Adventurer
My Compact is *finally* on its way. ATL to SF Bay Area - 2445 Miles. Just can't wait.

Thanks to all that helped with this decision!

dieselandmud

Adventurer
Yeah... This has turned into an adventure. Could not find anyone on-line that had them in stock and the manufacturer would not sell direct. I ended up ordering from Camper World and having it drop-shipped to my home.

A bit pricey for what it is, but worth not having to fab a new mount.

Manchester 10LB - $80

Pretty much any 20LB - $30

*sigh*

http://www.mantank.com/products/steel_propane/5-10.htm
I can get them from Mantank for $37.70 at last price check. That is my cost and I'm not making any money off fellow Expo gentlemen. PM me and maybe we can work something out if your interested and not in a big hurry.

fubar

Adventurer
Crap... That's less than half of what I paid.

I hope someone else take you up on this great deal.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
http://www.mantank.com/products/steel_propane/5-10.htm
I can get them from Mantank for $37.70 at last price check. That is my cost and I'm not making any money off fellow Expo gentlemen. PM me and maybe we can work something out if your interested and not in a big hurry.
That's a great deal, Chris; you guys should hit him up (and buy him a burrito when you see him...).
I paid 75 bananas for each of mine.

andyrad

Adventurer
I may be hooped and out $7500

It's problem time!! I have just been told by our lovely anal government that my Base Camp is inadmissible to Canada!! ARGH!!! I hate these SOBs. I have the trailer paid for and it is now sitting in a Canada Customs bonded warehouse beyond my reach that is soon going to cost me up to $90 a day storage. It boils down to the trailer not having a valid VIN number as it is made in SA. I was told it is US compliant but not that there is no compliance decal attached. Does anyone with a Compact or Base Camp have a US compliance decal attached to their trailer? I think this is the key. If Dean was a licensed manufacturer I am sure that he could affix a USC decal and thus it would have a valid VIN. My guess is that he did not view installing wheels tires and a battery as manufacturing and that it was not really a requirement anyway in the US for the compliance, aka grey market, so I end up with an in-valid VIN. This is by no means a strike against Dean but a word of caution to any Canadians out there looking to get the last ones from his warehouse.

What I need to do is convince Transport Canada to inspect it and tell me what to do. Maybe the key is to 'write it off and rebuild it' so that it can get a new VIN for Canada?

I'll keep you posted.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Dang.

Here in the Republic of Tejas the state DMV actually "told" me the trailer was manufacturered in SA when I provided the VIN for acquiring tags. I was expecting some difficulty due to Progressive and Geico (my cycle and truck insurance providers) initially had some challenge recognizing the VIN.

I hope you're able to come up with a viable solution. I would have though that as it was never titled in the US, you would not have had any problem with CAN customs. Good luck, they are a great product.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Andy, that is a total crock.

You should have simply had it delivered somewhere over the border in the States and driven it in. You would have had less problems I am sure.

Perhaps they would release it back to the US and you could still do this?

I have heard of NO ONE having an issue getting one titled in the States.

With Dean being in the auto business, he may be able to get you some kind of letter or something from the Georgia DMV that would satisfy those stiffs.

Just thinking out loud.

Sorry you are having a challenge.

Dendy

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
east or west?

Andy,

This may not be much help, but I am next to Buffalo, if you need someone on the east side to grab it out of $90 a day holding cell let me know...

andyrad

Adventurer
Andy,

This may not be much help, but I am next to Buffalo, if you need someone on the east side to grab it out of $90 a day holding cell let me know...

The trailer is in a holding cell in Calgary. I have the paperwork in my hands but am running into a few problems such as an 18 digit VIN which is not recognizable and no US compliance sticker. I am just now researching the US compliance with your FMVSS and NHTSA looking for a loophole that allows these to be registered as complying in the US. There has to be something. I will probably have to talk to DEan to find out the skinny on how he claims they are compliant as well as talk to Mega in SA.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Don't forget, another group brought these things over as "parts" and then assembled them here. Dean bought the distributorship and inventory already assembled. He may not be aware of any potential issues with compliance, but since he is in the automotive field, he may know how to help.

Jay, good on you for offering assistance. Can't beat us South Carolinians.

Dendy

andyrad

Adventurer
Base Camp for sale

Well. I just talked to Transport Canada and they say if there is no US compliance label then it CAN NOT come into Canada. No ifs ands or buts. There is no appeal process and there is nothing I can do but send it back to the US. I highly doubt Dean is willing to buy this back from me so I might have to sell it and try to re-coup as much as possible. I am into this for $5000 USD and another $2300 CDN for shipping. There should not be any problems getting this back to the USA because it never cleared customs, therefore it is still considered to be IN the USA. This is not 100% dead yet but I'll post again with the absolute final verdict. Maybe I can get the Manufacturer to supply a label once I get this stored in the US somewhere and then try again later.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
a new frame?

If you can get it back in the US and stored at an Expo friends place, could you buy a Canadian trailer frame and just unbolt the box and move it over? I am really sorry to hear of your problems.

andyrad

Adventurer
I have Dean looking at his past sales as he is sure he shipped a few into Canada and never heard of any problems. If I can find out who boufgt one and what kind of dance they had to perform I may be in luck. Worst case I may do as you suggest and store it in the states at someones house until I can figure out a plan of attack. Hopefully tomorrow I will have answers to make a plan as SA is 8 hours ahead. I gotta get up pretty early to get a jump on their day.

As mentioned earlier can you pick it up in the US and drive it back?or better have some one in the US drive it across for you and leave it? Ive seen this done many times. From there you can figure out the title situation at home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online