Considering an FJ Cruiser.. Common issues / things to look out for

Chili

Explorer
I did a quick search but nothing jumped out. I was hoping to get any real-world feedback on specific issues / model years to look out for, or avoid. I am considering downsizing from a Suburban Z71 and looking at late 2000 models around 100k miles or less. I don't plan on doing any crazy wheeling, just moderate 4x4 trails, and will be towing a light trailer from time to time (probably less than 2,000lbs. Would want roughly 3" of lift over stock, and 33" tires.

TIA advance for any guidance!

Chili

Explorer
I should clarify, year and mileage targets are based on me having a rough budget of $20,000.

I was literally about to post the same exact thing.

I know there is fender bulge in the 07's.

08's gained more power.

at some point they developed and changed the A-trac system.

I too have the same budget and desires. Subscribed

-Adam

photo nomad

Adventurer
I own an 08 TT, my understanding when I bought last June was that hard wheeling could cause the "fender bulge" issue in the 07-09 model years. It was apparently addressed in the 2010 and later models. 2010 is also when they got the power bump, not 08. Personally, I didn't care about the power bump, these trucks aren't fast and didn't get any faster, and the changes moved the oil filter to a much more difficult location to change. The only other major change is the rear diff was changed from 8" to 8.2".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dibbs

I had an 07. Mine was a manual which has full time 4wd so mpg wasn't the best. Some have whats called "FJ Lean" when the left side suspension sags a bit. Also the high windows made it hard for me to look out and down during more technical trails. The windshield seemed to catch every single rock.

But.. It was a beast off road. I loved it. The wife not so much with a little one an the way.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ditto photo on changes
Just got rid of our 2007 couple days ago

Loved it but family of 4 with two dogs it's to tight :) but they are sweet and will miss it :(

Main thing like any vehicle around that mileage price check water pump and boots on axle
Check for fender bulge avoid if it's bent of course :)
Ditto the oil filter location on early models being better and later engine made no difference
Ran regular gas in mine all the time
Had a exhaust and cai and really improved throttle response did not notice any speed feeling gains but the response was way better IMHO my buds who did that felt the same

My gobi rack was sweet but noise was a lot but they are nice racks
Suspension had OME setup loved them had heavy heavy on mine with arb bumper and winch on front
Towed our conqueror conquest all over they tow just fine but mileage is low so prep for that :)

Again loved it and will miss it if we could afford to have kept it and new rig I would have

SunFlower

Adventurer
I had a 2008 for 52,000 miles. Not a single mechanical issue at all.

I would suggest you buy one. Only negatives....small gas tank, great for 2 people and NO more than 2,

Visibility issue is overstated IMO.

nater

Adventurer
Have a 2014... I agree with the above, get a 2010+ for the fender bulge fix, and the slightly better power. Also, dont worry about the truck having A-Trac, it is easy to add by just installing the button as long as you have the rear locker... OH, and get one with a rear locker.

*edit* The new BFG 34x10.5R17's fit great with a 3" lift, I have posted pics, but it is a great option if you want a taller/skinnier tire.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I realize I risk becoming the naysayer in this thread, but if you say you are only looking for "moderate off-roading" and want something for around $20k, have you considered looking at other vehicles?

The FJ Cruiser (which I was heavily considering prior to finding my 4Runner) was definitely purpose-built to be a hard-core offroader. It sacrifices something in the way of visibility, fuel economy, everyday practicality, storage room all for the sake of being able to tackle the hard trails. I certainly love the concept behind this vehicle, but couldn't justify buying one because I knew 99% of the time I'd be driving on pavement.

Based on the criteria that you described, there are several other vehicles that come to mind: Nissan Xterra (look for 2011-2014 Pro-4x version); Gen 4 Toyota 4Runner; 100 series land cruiser; the older gen Nissan Pathfinders (R51 I believe). All of those vehicles have decent reputations as off-road capable vehicles and most can be had for $20k or less depending on how much mileage you are willing to deal with.

However, if you are set on getting a FJ Cruiser, I would reaffirm what others have said and advise you to get a 2010 or newer for the upgraded engine and better reliability. Also, if you do have any eventual plans to mod your FJ, it would make a lot of sense to buy one that has already been upgraded. You will definitely pay more than $20k but you will save more money than if you buy all the mods yourself and install on a stock FJ.

D

Deleted member 13060

07 - 09 potential fender probs.
2010 - new frame and old motor = pretty much no fender issues and the easier maint.
2011 - I'm pretty sure they got a bigger rear diff.

I have a 2011 FJ mostly stock, locker, ATRAC, offroad package and roof rack. I use it daily to get to work and light 4WD exploring trips on the weekends. 60K on it with ZERO problems.

nater

Adventurer
I realize I risk becoming the naysayer in this thread, but if you say you are only looking for "moderate off-roading" and want something for around $20k, have you considered looking at other vehicles?

The FJ Cruiser (which I was heavily considering prior to finding my 4Runner) was definitely purpose-built to be a hard-core offroader. It sacrifices something in the way of visibility, fuel economy, everyday practicality, storage room all for the sake of being able to tackle the hard trails. I certainly love the concept behind this vehicle, but couldn't justify buying one because I knew 99% of the time I'd be driving on pavement.

Based on the criteria that you described, there are several other vehicles that come to mind: Nissan Xterra (look for 2011-2014 Pro-4x version); Gen 4 Toyota 4Runner; 100 series land cruiser; the older gen Nissan Pathfinders (R51 I believe). All of those vehicles have decent reputations as off-road capable vehicles and most can be had for $20k or less depending on how much mileage you are willing to deal with.

I have not found the visibility to be as bad as everyone says it is. Drive it for a week, you dont notice it. Also, backup camera's are standard after a certain year (I think 2010?). That makes a huge difference. As far as space, you just learn to pack "up" and not "out"
as the FJ has a fairly tall interior as opposed to a large one length and width wise. For 2 people, I challenge you to not be able to live out of it for a week off the grid with smart packing. That being said, the wife and I did recently purchase a teardrop trailer to make the bed situation a bit more comfortable for her.

For daily driving, I find it as comfortable as my 4runner I sold to get the FJ. It is the same chassis, engine, running gear, etc. Fuel consumption is roughly equivalent, and the lack of carpet is great if you are active on a semi-frequent basis (I hated getting mud/fishing tackle, water, etc in the carpet of my 4runner).

On one point however I will agree with Dalko, there are several good options out there, and he mentions several of them. I would cross shop 100 series cruisers and 4runners. Get what you like the best!

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I was under the impression after talking to a few FJ guys that the exploding fender deal only affected vehicles with aftermarket winch bumpers.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Great vehicles. I have one of the first ones and will never part with it.

I'd avoid anything early with a big heavy bumper or signs of being ridden hard. Those seem to be the source of inner apron bulges in some cases.

On your budget you are probably looking at something around 2008 to 2010.

I'd stay away from anything overly-modified.

They are not great on room, or gas and certainly aren't an "ultimate rock crawler" kind of rig... but a great vehicle for traveling hundreds of miles in comfort and then immediately tackling trails up to about a 6 rating... oh yeah, great vehicle for that... hence, perfect for Colorado....

By the way, I have never understood the so-called visibility problem.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I agree with most of the above. The only thing I'll add is check out the Blue Room at http://www.fjcruiserforums.com. Great community for support of the FJ. Keep in mind if you upgrade to 33" tires in anything other than a pizza cutter you will need to do a body mount chop (BMC).

Dalko43

Explorer
I have not found the visibility to be as bad as everyone says it is. Drive it for a week, you dont notice it. Also, backup camera's are standard after a certain year (I think 2010?). That makes a huge difference. As far as space, you just learn to pack "up" and not "out"
as the FJ has a fairly tall interior as opposed to a large one length and width wise. For 2 people, I challenge you to not be able to live out of it for a week off the grid with smart packing. That being said, the wife and I did recently purchase a teardrop trailer to make the bed situation a bit more comfortable for her.

For daily driving, I find it as comfortable as my 4runner I sold to get the FJ. It is the same chassis, engine, running gear, etc. Fuel consumption is roughly equivalent, and the lack of carpet is great if you are active on a semi-frequent basis (I hated getting mud/fishing tackle, water, etc in the carpet of my 4runner).

On one point however I will agree with Dalko, there are several good options out there, and he mentions several of them. I would cross shop 100 series cruisers and 4runners. Get what you like the best!

I'll take you for your word on the storage capability of the FJ. I test drove the thing and roughly sized up the interior and it didn't look as big as say a 4runner or pathfinder, but I never had the opportunity to actually pack one out.

As for everyday practicality, I think most of my points were valid. The FJ was and still is definitely more focused on off-road usage than it is on daily driving. I have absolutely no problem dragging around 4 people plus a 90 lb dog and gear for a day trip in the 4Runner. Could the same thing be done in a FJ? Probably, but I'm sure the fit will be much tighter. The visibility in the 4Runner is better as is the mpg, if only slightly. All those little things seem insignificant by themselves, but they add up during a 9 hour road trip with passengers and gear or when picking up family and running errands throughout the day.

Again, I totally understand the concept behind having an FJ-type vehicle in the Toyota lineup and I respect it for what it is. Its focus and priorities are a bit different from most other vehicles though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven