Converting Whelen 900s/Similar Scene lighting to LED?

Abitibi

Explorer
This is what I've done for the rear lights on mine. I still need to paint them... I also debated putting a full aluminum plate on the outside instead but at the end went with individual or dual plates from the inside.

8b88edebe1061fa300495924199cfac1.jpg

I used the middle plate to mount my rear view camera and the outside ones will have new LED lights which I got but haven't installed yet.

2e90a65066d4b35f3061b739bff09988.jpg

These are the lights. I usually buy all my LED from Superbrightleds and maybe it will bite me in the rear end but for these I went with Amazon and bought two different sets. Not sure which one I'll use yet but I was thinking one set at the top and another one mounted near the bumper...

18a6afc451796c45c86c604fadcff15c.jpg

bb20a54f8d874019a68f282f359722e5.jpg

Hope this help.

Cheers
Mr. D

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Forgot to add... I used some nasty marine Sealant that can even be applied under water! Those won't leak!

Abitibi

Explorer
How did you attach that rear awning?
Simply through the aluminum sheet metal with nuts and bolts and my nasty marine sealer. It's plenty strong. But I've gutted all my interior so it's easy access for me, not sure it'd be as easy for you? I can post a picture if needed but it's pretty straight forward. Only mod I might do is put a small shim to angle the awning downwards to relieve stress on the poles when extended.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Good test thanks Pat.
Flush mounted Rigid's into the aluminum cover plates would be trick!

patoz

Expedition Leader
This is what I've done for the rear lights on mine. I still need to paint them... I also debated putting a full aluminum plate on the outside instead but at the end went with individual or dual plates from the inside.

8b88edebe1061fa300495924199cfac1.jpg

Hope this help.

Cheers
Mr. D

I was about to ask you why you didn't just use one long piece of aluminum instead of the many smaller pieces, but now that I re-read it I see you already mentioned it.

I'm planning on mounting a backup camera in the same spot on mine also, so may I ask what brand and model are you using, and how is the performance. Is it wired or wireless?

Abitibi

Explorer
This is the camera I got but it's not hooked up yet. All I know is that it's commercial duty and is supposed to be very good for the price (Was referred by a friend).
2371e8184a22705a1ab4b237a5ee0b24.jpg

And this is the inside view for those blocking plates.
0143a3a3a36689254757282c091a7c31.jpg

Reason for going that way is simply because i had left over Alu pieces that fitted perfectly...

Cheers
David

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

rlrenz

Explorer
Forgot to add... I used some nasty marine Sealant that can even be applied under water! Those won't leak!

Every marine sealant that seems to be the best is a real mess to work with. Maybe it's a trade off--- mess=good stuff; no mess=less good?

patoz

Expedition Leader
This is the camera I got but it's not hooked up yet. All I know is that it's commercial duty and is supposed to be very good for the price (Was referred by a friend).
2371e8184a22705a1ab4b237a5ee0b24.jpg

Cheers
David

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OK, I'll look that model up and see what I can find out about it.

Thanks,

~Pat

eporter

Adventurer
So I was messing around with an extra 900 scene light and some LED strip lighting. I think the result is pretty good.

I've got 4 900s down each side of the ambo, so I only really need 2 scene lights on each side. I'm replacing the reds with clear, and I think I'll add waterproof RGB LEDs to those. This will let me dial in custom colors, and dim the LEDs.

I like the idea of a dim glow at the campsite, or maybe throw it on color-changing party mode?

These pics show a quick mock up with ~2 feet of LED strip lighting around the perimeter. Ideally I'd cut the strip lighting and run the wires out the back. These are smaller chip LEDs, so something with a 5050 LED could be a bit brighter. My goal in using the strip lighting around the perimeter is to bounce the light around inside the Whelen reflector and lens, and create a more even glow with less hot spots than just sticking the strip lighting on the reflector.

Another possibility would be to just use Warm White LED strip lighting, and then add some LED "bolt lights" of a certain color on another circuit. Then you could have bright mode and dim color mode.

*You could also keep your existing halogen bulbs, and add the perimeter LED lighting for a dimmer camp light**

Either way, the cost is low, and the mod is fairly easy. You could modify your scene lights with block off plates and a modern LED work light of some sort, then use the clear lenses to replace the red flasher lenses and add LEDs within.

photo (3).JPG

photo (4).JPG

photo (5).JPG

led-rgb-sign-module-high-power-ruler.jpg

12-mm-bolt-beam-led-light.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
I like the different color 'mood' lighting with dimmer for the area lights, and can see this as being very useful. :)

Most of the OEM (Whelen) power cables going to the lights have three conductors with a shield. This is so the same cable can be used with strobes as well as halogen bulbs. What this means for us is, we can use the extra circuits to power additional bulbs, i.e. the LED strips in an existing housing with the halogen bulbs intact. All you would need to do is tap into the conductors behind the AMP connector on the end of the cable.

I now have 8 brand new 900 Series lights, 4 are clear and 4 are amber. However, they all have warning light lenses, which is different from the scene lense like the one eporter posted above. So, if anyone has located a source for the scene lenses at a reasonable price, please post up.

cjken

Explorer
Yes I need 6 fresh scene lenses as well.
I have not checked lately but got some lenses at
Elightbars.com at one point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3