Converting Whelen 900s/Similar Scene lighting to LED?

rlrenz

Explorer
You're welcome. MK. I got steered to them by a friend of mine who's an ambulance electrician. I check their web site about monthly. If you're looking for something that doesn't show up, send a note to Ron and ask him if he has any available, used or new. They often have take-offs from repair/upgrade/remounts that are in the parts bin. I've bought light fixtures, battery chargers, door locks, and a whole grab bag of stuff from them. They usually ship the same day you order from them.

Another site is www.ambulanceparts.com, but they are all new parts.

And don't forget Select-Tech Ambulances (http://selecttechambulances.com). Chris has a good selection of new parts at fair prices - he's where I got all new gas springs for cabinets, and my door hold-opens.

One thing to always remember is that the ambulance builders all buy from the same suppliers, so you can often track down the impossible-to-find part that way. Weldon supplies a lot of the interior lighting, but Tec-Niq is really giving them a run for their money. Nearly all the exterior lighting for warning or scene (and often even turn signals) come from Whelen or Weldon. Grote shows up a lot for marker lights.

And if you're looking at warning lights that you will leave as non-LED for now, look for a light that can use a conventional stop bulb with a standard bayonet base instead of a 50 watt oddball bulb that you have to go to the manufacturer to track down. Code-3 has warning lights available (lightbars, etc) that can use a LED-conversion turn signal bulb.

If you want to check ebay, be aware that any search for "ambulance parts" will also give you toy ambulances and about 10,000 suppliers of Chinese warning lights. The stuff you really want to look at is buried in the pile-somewhere. Also look for "fire truck parts" as well. The same parts show up in fire trucks and ambulances. Also try searching for the manufacturer -- "horton, medic-master, etc" sometimes helps. I'd really appreciate if I could somehow search and blank out Chinese stuff and toys, but I'm stuck for now.

rlrenz

Explorer
Pat, I belong to a professional emergency vehicle group - I'll ask around to see what others think about them.

It looks like the lights are considered as decent lights, but one comment I got back was that warranty can be a challenge. If you buy form Amazon, it might simplify any warranty problems.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Bob, I ordered mine through Amazon but they are a non-Prime item and are coming from a third party retailer. The price was the same, but shipping is taking forever! I like Amazon's 30 day, no hassle, return policy also.

rlrenz

Explorer
I've been looking at LED lights for inside the buggy. I'm trying to see what would work well for both the action station and for the RV recliners that will take the place of my squad bench.

I have all new ambulance-rated LED ceiling lights that do a great job of over all lighting in the module, but I'm looking for something that I can use on the separate deep-cycle battery for times when the ambulance engine and the Onan aren't running - something that will be just fine for reading or watching the tube.

Right now, I have two three that I'm looking at. One is a Weldon that runs about $17 that is specifically designed as a reading light.

Weldon LED reading light.JPG

I also have a 3 watt light from SuperbrightLEDs that may work - at about $20

SB 3 watt.JPG

Then there's one from Amazon that I got to replace the incandescent in the oxygen cabinet - it will probably be wired in parallel with the existing rope lights that surround the door. It is a grommet-mounted light, but the same light is available for non-grommet applications. Amazon didn't publish a lot of data on this one, other than a price of about $14.

Amazon light.JPG

I'm going to set up a test in the next few weeks using a set mounting height of 2, 3, and 4 ft. Then I'll measure the light levels directly below, and on an increasing radius from the center line. I'm not looking for the most light per dollar - I'm looking for the best light level directly under the light, and what kind of lighting uniformity each fixture has to offer.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Bob, I ordered mine through Amazon but they are a non-Prime item and are coming from a third party retailer. The price was the same, but shipping is taking forever! I like Amazon's 30 day, no hassle, return policy also.

Pat, et al,

Shameless plug here. If you'd be interested in supporting a volunteer search-and-rescue group like the one I belong to(Mountain Wave SAR; we have a 4x4 team too!), please start your Amazon(or other online) purchasing from our Click.Buy.Help link; http://www.clickbuyhelp.org/mwave/
By starting from our CBH page, Amazon kicks back some of their marketing dollars to our group(for us sending you to Amazon vs some other ad pay-per-click Amazon is running), allowing us to pay for more gear to help save more people.
There's no personal info collected from you, it's all transparent, you go right to Amazon, make your purchases like normal--just on the backend Amazon kicks a bit of $ to our group.
Thank you so very much for the consideration!! :)

Carry on with ambo stuff.........

rlrenz

Explorer
The Weldon reading lights are $17, but the GOTTCHA is the $12 wiring harness & connector. The light uses a male pin connector that can probably be connected with some female pins (maybe Whelen/AMP?) and some heat shrink. I have both the lights and the connectors, so I'll do some fiddling and see what's do-able.

I'm going to measure the light's performance before I install them. I can assume a distance of 30/36", and I'll see what they put onto a book-sized shape. Sounds like a good workbench project for a cold, crummy, gloomy, rainy day.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Pat, et al,

Shameless plug here. If you'd be interested in supporting a volunteer search-and-rescue group like the one I belong to(Mountain Wave SAR; we have a 4x4 team too!), please start your Amazon(or other online) purchasing from our Click.Buy.Help link; http://www.clickbuyhelp.org/mwave/
By starting from our CBH page, Amazon kicks back some of their marketing dollars to our group(for us sending you to Amazon vs some other ad pay-per-click Amazon is running), allowing us to pay for more gear to help save more people.
There's no personal info collected from you, it's all transparent, you go right to Amazon, make your purchases like normal--just on the backend Amazon kicks a bit of $ to our group.
Thank you so very much for the consideration!! :)

Carry on with ambo stuff.........

MK,

Being a retired DoD District Fire Chief/EMT, I would be very happy to do that, however I'm already using that process to help support another local outdoor forum I'm on, which is owned by a friend of mine. But, if anything changes, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the invite... ;)

patoz

Expedition Leader
attachment.php

310dzNawVyL.jpg

The specs on this light says it's 4 5/16" in diameter, so will it fit the in the holes of the standard ' 4" ' round compartment lights?

kcernest

Observer
@rlrenz
Thanks for those specific links, I spent a bit of time looking around a few places that do remounts and couldn't seem to find any clear full lights for less than $40, which just seems like too much for a twenty year old light to me.
I'll use that info you gave and keep plugging away though, thanks a bunch!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
MK,

Being a retired DoD District Fire Chief/EMT, I would be very happy to do that, however I'm already using that process to help support another local outdoor forum I'm on, which is owned by a friend of mine. But, if anything changes, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the invite... ;)

Understood, thank you!!
Anyone else, feel free, THANK YOU!!
-Jeremy

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I'm having great luck with the chip on board or COB lights
0624b06c80e7510731bbca5662f24bfb.jpg
cheap as heck to boot 6$ for four on fleabay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads