Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

1stDeuce

Explorer
I wish tire dealers would listen and provide feedback to Cooper, not just discourage people from getting tires in sizes that aren't "popular". I like my 285's, but I'd love something more like a 255 or 265 in a 33-34" height. I may head out and get some 235/85's just to get something close to what I want. The local Discount Tire stocks and moves them, so they're not hard to find. (And available immediately!) And they're fairly wide for a 235, more like a 245 honestly. I think for what I do with my Jeep, 235's would be fine.

onetraveller

Adventurer
Just put a set of these on my Jeep in 275/70r18. I'm truly impressed with how quiet they are. I also find them to be much softer than my BFG ATs.

Mike

attachment.php

attachment.php

jim65wagon

Quick tire update: The Tundra is sitting on 205,000 miles. That gives me 42,000 on the ST Maxx tires. Not bad and they are not done yet. The tread depth on three of the tires is 10/32", the fourth tire is at 9/32". Why the difference? Well, that tire was on the right rear. With 200,000 on the LSD it just doesn't transfer power quite like it used to, allowing that right rear to spin more when I get a little aggressive with the throttle.....lol.

Here's what the the tire looks like with 9/32" of tread. Even wear and the siping is still there, just not quite as full as it was new.

The depth gauge I use with each rotation.

Pretty good wear for such a heavy, rugged tire. If I go to a merely legal tread depth I could make over 60,000 miles on them.

98GP

Observer
Did you puncture that tire? Look @ the first picture...middle, right, next to the outside tread block.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
i'm still pretty happy with mine, they work really well off road and on road they handle great, only regret is getting the 10 plys,

also they hold the road really well, had to stand on the brakes last night and they held traction the whole time, never slid, my buddy had stt's on his chevy and we locked them up and slid them a couple of times

Willman

Great Thread Jim and Redline!! All 18 pages!

Being these tires are heavy and my Tacoma is already underpowered (4.88 gears). I have been running 255's it whole life. Light and tall tire. I'm tired of the muds and time to make the switch over to some AT's...With going to the AT now puts me into a 265 or 285 sized tire. In order to keep up i think the 285 is a better option. 265's would be a good fuel saver!

The weight of Cooper Maxx tire plus all the posts on power/braking loss has me thinking Duratracs might be a better fit....

jeepj667

Observer

Being these tires are heavy and my Tacoma is already underpowered (4.88 gears). I have been running 255's it whole life. Light and tall tire. I'm tired of the muds and time to make the switch over to some AT's...With going to the AT now puts me into a 265 or 285 sized tire. In order to keep up i think the 285 is a better option. 265's would be a good fuel saver!

The weight of Cooper Maxx tire plus all the posts on power/braking loss has me thinking Duratracs might be a better fit....

Why not stick with the 255's and get Cooper ST's. I really liked mine.

telemike

SE Expedition Society

I was looking at ST/Maxx and Kelly TSR. Chose the Kelly as it was lighter and less stiff. Was worried about my mpg's and ride with E rated stiff tires on my H3, The Kelly's have been good so far with hardly any tread wear after 12k miles

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The 255s are coming!

I'm at the SEMA Show and just spoke to the LT tire manager 'who knows'.
At the show last year I was told that in late 2013 Cooper would introduce many new sizes of the S/T MAXX, including a 255/80R17E. Only one other tire is currently made in the 255/80R17 size, the BFG MT. I've been waiting.

Soon, around the end of this year, many new S/T MAXX sizes will be released (26) and two of them will be:

LT255/80R17E

AND

LT255/85R16E

I'm ecstatic that Cooper is going to make these two sizes, especially in the S/T MAXX tread!

James

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk